“Kind of icky....”

Ranked #98 of 382 Hotels in Munich
Minneapolis, Minnesota
“Kind of icky....”
Reviewed 3 September 2013

We used points to stay here, and way too many, after being there! First, the staff were always courteous and helpful, so at least there was that. Otherwise....ick, The hotel lobby is just gross, I wouldn't want to hang out there for any reason. The room didn't feel clean, and looked out over some industrial metal units of some kind the "courtyard" - which was actually fine as they weren't noisy and saved us from listening to the street noise. The bathroom was a postage stamp, but I am a spoiled American, yes, I realize that. Other guests were apparently cooking in their rooms somehow as the hallway seemed to always be flooded with strange food odors. There was a bag left outside of the door across from ours that seemed to cause hotel staff some concern, as they pounded on the 2 doors it was in front of until someone answered. That was kind of off-putting. Some other reviewer nailed the area by calling it "unsavory" - perfect word. The only really good thing about the hotel was the short walk to the city center. It's really well located. Oh, and the breakfast wasn't bad...I would not stay here again, even if it was a matter of free with points, or paying somewhere else.

Room Tip: no idea, sorry! Ours was on the fourth floor, facing a courtyard filled with mechanical units of som...
  • Stayed August 2013, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (156)
  • Finnish first
  • Greek first
  • Polish first
Flagler Beach
Reviewed 2 September 2013

Easy check in last evening, staff friendly and courteous. 6th floor room facing the street, not noisy at all. Neighbourhood not typical for a Marriott property, but only a couple minutes from the train station and Grayline/Viator tours I booked. Was given continental breakfast and in room wireless as part of my room rate which was a pleasant surprise-get those in the states because I'm a Platinum member but didn't think they did that internationally. Each runs 15 Euro,so happy with that.

One gripe.....my credit card posted within minutes of check in and was 200 Euro more than my booked rate. They did not tell me at check in that they "hold" 50 Euro a night for "incidental charges" which is credited back to you at check out if you don't use it. Never had a Marriott do that before, and should have been advised of the policy.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled solo
uk
Reviewed 27 August 2013

The staff in this hotel are helpful and curteous. They all speak perfect English. The rooms are bright and airy and a good size. The receptionist recommended excellent restaurants. The surrounding area is varied, but the rail and transport access from the hotel for visitng the rest of Munich is great. Great bar and restaurant especially for breakfast.

• Stayed May 2013, travelled on business
Chicago, IL
Reviewed 26 August 2013

This review is a difficult one. The hotel itself is very good. Our room was nicely appointed with a very efficient and smart design. The bathroom was a bit small by my standards but still adequate.

The check-in and check-out process was excellent. Both employees were friendly and helpful. The restaurant was excellent and the staff solid. A bit pricey but that is to be expected for a hotel restaurant. My rating is solely on the hotel.

The neighborhood in which the hotel is located is not recommended for families. Actually surprised a Marriott would be located in such an environment. However it is walkable to the city center and the train station, so in that regard the location is excellent. I am no prude by any measure but I had a lot of explaining to do with my 9 yr. old daughter. If I get married again, I will surely have my Stagg Party here.

Again this is a tough one. I liked the hotel but just wish it was somewhere else. There was nothing in the immediate area that I wanted to do. Munich is lovely however and we had a wonderful time.

Stayed August 2013, travelled with family
Sydney, Australia
Reviewed 18 August 2013

Felt very uncomfortable with the character of the area. Would not recommend this location. Stayed in this area approximately 7 years ago and was astounded by the slide in standards.

The room was air conditioned during a very hot heat wave and very appreciated. Beds were very comfortable. Strangely during our 3 night stay we had breakfast included for only two, despite the rise in rates on the third night. Reception would not budge on this issue. Breakfast very expensive when not included but worth it when included. Good variety of breakfast choices and good service. Reception abrupt but busy. Room was fairly clean.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled with family
Your town
Reviewed 15 August 2013

I will caveat this with I didn't actually stay at the hotel for the obvious reasons listed below.

When I checked in, I went to my room with my wife. There was dried blood all over the room. Towels, comforter, and pillow cases.

When I brought this to the front desks' attention, I was immediately given another room.....a smaller one with nothing other than "Oh I'm sorry, one second." I felt like I was putting them out by asking for another room.

Additionally, there were probably (I didn't count) 40-50 flies and gnats stuck to the roof of the elevators. As if the blood in the room wasn't enough....

I immediately called Marriott customer service to switch to another Marriott within the city. Its been great.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled with family
5 Thank MMosby12
Bucharest, Romania
Reviewed 12 August 2013

This was my first stay at a Marriott and i wasn't dissapointed. The staff answered all of our questions and the check-in went very well. I agree that the location isn't exactly a good one, but i never felt in danger, even if we got to the hotel late at night. The hotel has quick access to the transportation system, and a reliable in room internet. The breakfast was also very good. The only downside is that a chocolate that we have paid for featured on our final bill. But i didn't mention that after all, it wasn't such a big deal. The most important thing is that the room was very spacious and clean, we got a good sleep every night.

• Stayed January 2013, travelled as a couple