“Decent place to crash”
Review of Pension Lugano

Pension Lugano
Ranked #377 of 385 Hotels in Munich
Reviewed 30 June 2011

We had higher expectations as most other reviewer's did but it was decent place to just catch up on sleep. We were backpacking around Europe so it worked fine for what we needed. Price is a little steep for what they offer. Beds were warm, room was large, city is well-a city so loud. Felt safe walking on the streets day/night. Staff were warm and friendly. Shower/toilet is down the hall not in-room. No wi-fi and I think you do need your own internet cable.

• Stayed: December 2010, travelled with friends

Reviewed 31 October 2010

2 day stay, wanted place close to the center, we based our decision on past very good experiences with pensions in Austria and Germany and also on photos on their web site. The photos are lying, as well as the prices mentioned there. Check them first over the phone as we did! Off the season and Octoberfest, in the middle of the week and still were 50% up.
The place is falling apart - everything is squeezy and loose, often very dirty. You can hear everything from the other rooms (luckily, we were alone on the floor most of the time and you might be as well, thanks to users reviews). Be prepare to climb up the squeezy staircase all the way to the top floor with your luggage. Improvised access through narrow steep staircase from a corridor leading to yard to a "reception" on the first floor; feels like entering a bunker from WWII. I found it disgousting and shameful for the standard I'd expect in Germany and in comparison with other Pensions/Guesthouses I ever staid in.

• Stayed: October 2010, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 15 June 2010

PROS - Room was average size, 7 mins walk to metro. Had a TV in room, so good if you speak German. Beds were warm and comfortable and shower was hot. Internet cafe directly opposite which was very cheap. Kebab shops all around and a bakery next door for a cheap feed. The reception lady was very helpful, allowing us to leave our bags as we arrived 6 hours early, and provided us with maps and directions to everywhere we needed to go and gave us info how to save money in buying transportation tickets.

CONS - No bfast inc. which doesnt really matter as there are plenty of places to eat nearby. No bathroom items except a bar of soap. Double room was two singles pushed together.

All in all, decent, average. I think if you want to be in the action, this place is a bit away from the main area but close enough to get a taxi/train etc to get to it without any problems.

• Stayed: May 2010, travelled as a couple
1  Thank 1111Matt1111
An Agoda Traveller
Reviewed 11 September 2009

• Stayed: September 2009
Reviewed 17 October 2008

Summary--Stay at Lugano only if you have to. If you get online and try, you can probably do better for the money. OK for crash pad; NOT OK for romantic getaway where you are trying to impress her. Believe me, you will but it won't be good.

Booked for stay during Oktoberfest because everything else was already booked except for stays of 250 Euro a night and up. No joke. Returned a week later and stayed in different room. 5 nights total. So, I have some experience with this Pension.

Rates--advertised low, but may be raised significantly because of any event. Understandable, I suppose, but 60 Euro raised to approx 180 during Oktoberfest, and remaining there afterward due to a technology exposition in town! Be careful about the rates. Also, this pension is more like a 45 Euro hotel, for many reasons. Actually, it's more like a small hotel than a Pension.

Location--Pension Luganois is approx 2 blocks from 3 different U-Bahn stations, including Hauptbahnhoff Central (the main station). Close to Karlstor and Sendlinger Tor stations as well. This is convenient. However, walking south from Hauptbahnhoff Central toward Pension Lugano brings you immediately into a stripper night club area. I did not see evidence of prostitution or crime there, but you should expect all manner of night noise outside your window. This was not a quiet area. I do not view the area as dangerous--just sleazy. The room was very warm, even during the night and with all radiator heat turned off, leading us to leave the window open all night. I recommend you keep your airplane earplugs and use them if you sleep at Lugano.

Food--This is a plus. The restaurant and bakery below Lugano in same building is superb and reasonably priced. While not belonging to Lugano, it is a plus for this pension. Open early, good baked goods, and excellent ham and eggs. Friendly staff. Lugano does not serve breakfast and has no arrangement with this restaurant to provide guests with breakfast. Lugano does not offer guests coffee. Come on, guys, you could offer coffee.

Internet--Bad, bad Pension Lugano. You have your own Wi-fi! Why don't you share it with your guests? You might make up for some of the other amenities you do not offer. Your immediate competion at Hotel Brunerhof 2 doors down offers free wi-fi and far clearner rooms. Good grief! Get outa here! Offer free wi-fi. Sure, there is the internet call center right across the street. It's owner keeps long hours, but these days, free wi-fi is the way to go. The call center charges 1 Euro per hour and has Skype with headphones set up for you to make calls.

Cleanliness--First room was not bad. I give it 3 of 5. Last room was not good. Carpet stained; wall stained; Dust and dirt in out of way places. Bedding, however, was clean and changed daily. Lugano is accessed on street level by walking into a marbled passage, then up steps to the Pension. During Oktoberfest, this passage was not locked from the public and it became a latrine where drunk Oktoberfest revelers could go to the bathroom. That's bad enough, but Pension Lugano (which does not own the passage) did not clean it up. Unsavory, to say the least. Mop the passage whether it is yours or not. You and your guests have to use it.

Furnishings--Very basic. Very basic. Functional but that's all.

Staff--Some very friendly, professional, and helpful, some not so much so. No one hostile.

Bottom line: OK at 45 Euro per night if you have to but they charge 60 and up. Try to find something better for your money. Lots of places to stay in the immediate area.

• Stayed: October 2008, travelled with friends
1  Thank check-then-go
Reviewed 4 November 2007

I would not recommend this pension to anyone. I booked a single room. On the first night I ended up sleeping on the floor because the bed was broken. I asked to be moved the next morning and it was as if it was half expected that I requested to change rooms. I suspect they use that room for single night stays only. The place is run down, the floor boards creek, it is in the red light district and I did not feel safe walking to and from the hotel. The only positive point to the pension is that it is not far from the main train station. Im sure you could do much better for your money!

• Stayed: November 2007, travelled solo
Reviewed 18 October 2007

I arranged to stay here as a result f looking at a site hotels.de. When I arrived I was shown to room 41 which was the most horrid room I have ever seen. The place is generally run down and is opposite two strip clubs . The bedroom was in a very poor shape with shabby furniture , a bad smell and sppongy mattresses . When we saw the state of the place and the creepy atmosphere we rang a friend and begged to sleep on the floor of their hotel room . The next day we booked another room in differetn hotel at an extortionate rate as we just could not bear ever to consider to go bakc to that place. I think we were suckered in to taking the last room in the hotel as I cannot believe all of the rooms could have been so awful .. If you have any sense you will not stay here

• Stayed: October 2007, travelled on business