“Noisy, dirty and awful environment”
Review of Pension Lugano

Pension Lugano
Ranked #379 of 388 Hotels in Munich
Reviewed 8 June 2014 via mobile

Bad services, got wifi but only you can only access to it in ground floor, always smoky at the receptions area, toilet is dirty, the light in the room is very dim.. Very noisy at the night, Room is quite smelly and hot, needs to open the windows but the wind coming in are smoky as well, can't store luggage the receptionist always said the luggage room is full, will not recommend it to u unless if ur on diet........

Stayed: June 2014, travelled with friends
3  Thank AdrianPang527

Reviewed 10 October 2013 via mobile

The reviews about this place are largely true - it's very noisy, beds are uncomfortable, I think they smoke in the reception area and it wasn't in a great area (although, a good location generally).
I would avoid staying here unless you're on a budget (although they charged me quite a lot). Personally, I think I would rather stay in a hostel.

Stayed: October 2013, travelled solo
2  Thank Katherine1234567
Reviewed 23 September 2013

Me and my girlfriend stayed here for a night in august, we got here by train from stuttgart and the hotel was about 8-10 minutes walk. the hotels in a slightly run down area with lots of kebab shops and strip joints, the main city centres aroung 20-30 minute walk away. the hotel was very basic but on arriving home late at night the area was pretty quite. i'd say the hotels ok if your on a budget but if you can afford one a bit better i'd go for it.

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Phil747
Reviewed 10 December 2012

I stayed in Pension Lugano for one night in December 2012 and chose it based on its proximity to the train station. As some other travelers noted, the area isn't the best but I arrived fairly late and never felt unsafe. Munich is a city and some parts are a little gritty and that's the way it goes. The staff was friendly and the room was just fine for such a low cost. The linens were clean, the floors looked swept and having a sink in the room was nice when the bathroom was in the hall.

The bad points are this:
As soon as I stopped moving around and settled in to go to sleep I could hear mice in the walls - never a good was to get a restful nights' sleep. As far as I could tell, there was no way for them to actually get into the room but I also didn't go searching in the nooks and crannies because I figured I was there now and maybe ignorance was bliss.

Also, in the morning I went to take a shower. The bathrooms were clean enough but even after letting the water run for a long time, I finally deduced that there was no hot water. Sometimes there's a trick to these things but I tried everything I could think of to no avail.

Overall, you could probably do better.

• Stayed: December 2012, travelled solo
Reviewed 2 September 2012

The Cardiology conference was in town so all the hotels were full or stupidly expensive so we ended up in the Lugano
Located in the red light district opposite a strip bar, it's a bit of a seedy area but close to the main station and an easy walk into the old town.
Rooms are very bare and run down, old ill-fitting sheets, a low uncomfortable bed that was literally falling apart and had to be repropped up every morning. It is quite noisy and not somewhere you would want to hang out.

Oh and the photos on their website bear no relation whatever to the actual room.

We paid €60 a night which I thought was overpriced.

On the plus side the staff are friendly and there is free wifi.

• Stayed: August 2012, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 18 June 2012

to be fair, it was one of the cheapest hotels around, and it's very close to downtown. i went there with my wife and sister and yes the area is "bad" but very international and close to the station. even very late at night there are young germans passing through alone so how dangerous can it be. we enjoyed the area and the surprising variety of restaurants around us and the short walk downtown. the rooms are not very great but was very clean, which is most important. you get your money's worth but not more, which is okay by me.

• Stayed: May 2012, travelled with family
Reviewed 29 May 2012

Unfortunately made the mistake of not reading reviews before we booked this place. Sometimes I find that even though place may not have great reviews it's been ok for us. In this case all the reviews are absolutely spot on. The only saving grace is its location in proximity to the old town and the main railway station. Apart from that here are the downsides:

Right in the middle of a long line of strip joints on both sides - complete with laser red light displays on your ceiling when you are 'trying to' sleep

The room looks like a prison cell and feels like it too

The threadbare curtains partially hanging off

The stench of stale cigarette smoke in the building - yuck

The cigarette butt on the floor in the bathroom - again yuck

There really are nicer places to stay. We passed through Munich again a few days,later and stayed at Motel One - bit more expensive when you are on a budget but so much nicer

Room Tip: We stayed at Motel One - really nice