“top”

Hotel Cocoon Sendlinger Tor
Ranked #127 of 390 Hotels in Munich
Reviewed 26 February 2014

Really the most beautiful hotel I've ever been. Friendly, young and really cool. Good position, really near Munich city center, you can reach it in a few minutes by walk. Good prices and nice breakfast.

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled as a couple
Hotel C, Reservation Department at Hotel Cocoon Sendlinger Tor, responded to this reviewResponded 28 February 2014

Dear Simone,

I really enjoyed reading your comment because it shows that our work is paying off. What distinguishes the Cocoon from the traditional Chain-Hotels is exactly what you described.
We are really looking forward to customers like you.

The Cocoon Team would love to welcome you back in the future.
Your Team of Cocoon Hotels

Reviewed 21 February 2014

I was visiting Munich for the weekend and my friend who lives in Frankfurt suggested the Hotel Cocoon to me, and it was also recommended in a travel book I was using for Munich.

I liked the location (a couple of blocks away from the Sendlinger Tor train stop and not far from Munich's sightseeing), style (modern, sleek and clean)and staff friendliness. It was also nice to opt out of housekeeping and receive a 5 Euro credit at the bar up front -- even though we still did receive housekeeping.

Going to the room, the was small, but comfortable. It was a little odd that there was a sliding door that opted as a door to the bathroom and shower, depending on which one was in use, you would merely slide the door over. However, if someone was in the shower, then the toilet would be completely exposed. The toilet area was quite small with VERY LITTLE leg room. I'm 5'6 and was uncomfortable using the toilet with the door closed.

One of the oddest parts of this room was that the shower was directly next to the bed. I should note the shower is all glass except for a large sticker that covers the middle portion of the glass as to "hide" private areas; however, I still had to bend over to pick up soap, etc. and I was afraid that my friend (while laying in bed) could see everything and she really wouldn't have had much choice as her side of the bed was next to the shower. If you're traveling with someone you wouldn't want to see this side of you, this can be uncomfortable. Just saying.

Some of the issues we experienced was with the Wi-Fi. The Hotel Cocoon offers free Wi-Fi service; however, you have to sign up for it with a login and password. After I signed up, my login and password never worked. Since I had already used one email address to sign up, I couldn't use the same one. Luckily, I had another one to use; however, the same issue occurred. We ended up having to get the hotel staff's password under the promise that we wouldn't download anything and that we were just checking email, etc. This was great except for the fact that we would get kicked off the wi-fi every 10 minutes, so we were constantly signing in and out.

Another issue is that there is a bar next door and young people do stay out late, smoking cigarettes and talking/laughing VERY loud, which can make it difficult to sleep.

Overall, the hotels' clean, modern and the amenities are very nice -- just different from what an American might be used to.

Room Tip: We booked a room for 2 people and unless you're comfortable seeing them in the shower, then book...
  • Stayed: February 2014, travelled with friends

Dear Schbaby,

first of all I would like to thank you for the good review.
We are happy to hear that you like our Lifestyle interior.

You are right that our rooms are somewhat different.
Especially our showers are unique and therefore appreciated by our guests, but i can also understand your point of view.
Because of the absolute central location the streets can be a bit noisy. The next time you can talk to our reservation, they are willing to help you further and you will get a nice room to the back yard.

We are very sorry about the inconvenience with the wi-fi. We hope you accept our sincere apology on this matter!

Hope to see you soon.
Your team of Cocoon Hotels

Reviewed 22 January 2014 via mobile

I was slightly put off booking the hotel because of poor reviews about surly reception staff.

On our visit they couldn't have been more welcoming or helpful. No attitude.

The hotel had a good location. There were some fantastic bars and restaurants and it is in quite a vibrant area. Lots of people were out despite it being a Monday. 20 minute walk in to the centre of town.

We booked a junior suite because of complaints about room sizes on the web. It didn't cost much more, it had some nice design features, and was clean. Bed was very comfortable.

No complaints. The room could do with a lick of paint. Good value for money and I would stay there again.

• Stayed: January 2014
1  Thank Myselection
Reviewed 5 January 2014

We chose Cocoon for a one-night stopover in Munich. It couldn't have been much better located for a flying visit, just a few minutes walk from the central POIs.

First impressions were great - loved the stylish minimalist design of the room, and we had a balcony with an amazing view over the city.

Warning bells rang when we could hear a crying child in a nearby room as if it was in the same room. We took a gamble and didn't switch rooms as only smaller rooms were available. This was the wrong decision as we were woken at the crack of dawn by screaming child; and again by shouting on the street outside.

I'm not usually a light sleeper so it's fair to conclude that the walls are too thin to guarantee a decent night's sleep, and I was seriously regretting not bringing any earplugs.

There was also no cold water from the tap in our room - only hot - we had to go down to reception to fill our water flask.

Probably not a destination for pillow lovers - there were only two, and they were very small and thin.

So on the whole - wouldn't stay again; a shame as we'd liked the general style and ambience.

Stayed: January 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 13 December 2013

I think this hotel was designed by an architect on some mind-altering substances. It puts style (70s retro) before convenience or comfort. The bed frame has sharp edges and protrudes beyond the mattress at just the right height to catch shins. Try sitting on the loo with the door closed and watch your head. The "marble" floors on stairways and corridors had the most horrific stains that looked like organic matter. The shower had a mind of its own. But.....
Location was good, price reasonable, coffee (from reception) excellent. Vietnamese restaurant 4 doors down good value.
What decided me to give this place 5 stars though was the friendliness and unfailing good humour of the young reception staff. Nothing was too much trouble, they spoke excellent English and were always cheerful and laid back. On these grounds alone, we would recommend the place.

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 9 December 2013

We stayed here several years ago, and rebooked for last weekend with no hesitation. The rooms are nicely done, they have a cunning layout, comfortable bed, great shower and Very clean. It's the little touches that set this hotel out from others, iPod docks (30pin), DVDs and player and of course the staff, they were always so cheery and helpful. Thank you.
The offer of no housekeeping for 1 day in return for 5 euro voucher at bar was another nice touch.
The only negative point was that the room was starting to show its age and would benefit from a little touch up and maintenance (notably fix the blind in #53)
Like the price/location/rooms/staff - so it would always be our 1st choice when staying in Munich.

Stayed: December 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 2 December 2013

Good, clean hotel at convenient location
Friendly, English speaking staff
comfortable room although a bit on the smaller side
free wi-fi which worked well
Having looked at previous reviews I was aware of their strange bathroom design. As I was travelling on my own, this wasn't an issue for me.

Room Tip: Rooms at the back are quiet
  • Stayed: November 2013, travelled on business