“charming place with varying quality food and some pricing oddities”
Review of Forum Restaurant - CLOSED

Forum Restaurant
Price range: US$7 - US$22
Reviewed 30 December 2013

This is a really nice place in which to hang out. Comfy sofas around the walls, modern but not sterile decor, a good variety of all-day breakfast, drinks, and warm courses. Reasonably long opening hours.

The quality of the food and drinks vary. Think modern German cuisine with a touch of Italian inspiration - they do that very well. Most other things, however, are a disppointment, like starchy dim sum fried and dripping in oil - 'nuff said.

Service is cheerful, and the clientelle are a pleasant mixed crowd, just a touch younger and better dressed than in more traditional cafés. There is a suprising number of dogs, and there seems to be a recent shift towards a more esoteric clientelle, with the zodiac going to feature in the menu. It's not entirely clear if that is tongue in cheek or if they are being serious ...

Overall, I like going there, and it's a place I regularly visit when I am in the area, just a few minutes' walk from Sendlinger Tor.

I had a rather unpleasant surprise recently, however, when I found that we had been charged 3 Euro for a large glass of tap-water each. That is steep, and I also think it's rather disingenuous to levy such a charge without clearly informing patrons about it up front. When I mentioned the issue, that was just brushed off with a terse 'that's our rule' - not exactly giving me the impression they cared particularly about how they come across.
That's a shame. It marred an otherwise nice visit.

Reviewed 20 October 2013

Dined here the first night we arrived in Munich. There were five of us and we sat outside despite it being a bit cool (blankets available if needed). Food was refined and unique, but not fussy. Our server helped us with the menu and laughed at our sad attempts of speaking German. A fun night with really tasty food; everyone enjoyed the evening.

Reviewed 3 October 2013 via mobile

I went there for breakfast with some friends and just ordered some pancakes with ahornsirup and they were Deep fried and full of oil, it was impossible to eat them, as You could only taste the Oil. On top of it my Friends ordered two breakfasts that were supposed to be served with a bread corb but they never came and we had to ask for it. A real DISAPPOINTMENT !

Reviewed 6 July 2013 via mobile

Amazing service abd food was cooked and prepared to perfection. Have been there a numver of times and never had a bad meal.

Reviewed 10 May 2010