“Food okay, but service really extremely friendly”

Wirtshaus In Der Au
Ranked #60 of 3,692 Restaurants in Munich
Good for: Child-friendly, Groups, Local cuisine, Business meetings
Dining options: Lunch, After-hours, Breakfast, Dinner, Reservations
Reviewed 31 August 2016

We wanted something Bavarian and we got it. Food is good, but so it is in many Bavarian restaurants: Dumplings are really something special. Huge and tasty, like my grandma made them. Service is very friendly, efficient and doesn't seem to be stressed, even when the restaurant is jammed with people (which I guess is every evening).

Date of visit: August 2016
Write a reviewReviews (1,512)

Reviewed 24 August 2016

Found this place by simply walking around and looking where we can have lunch. Everything was perfect :-) Had some Bavarian plate for two - they should note, that this is probably for 4 people :-)

Reviewed 23 August 2016

Located slightly off the beaten path and away from the city center but totally worth the visit. We stayed near Marienplatz but it was a nice 15-20 minutes stroll through the quaint neighborhood streets of Germany. The staff was friendly, the food was awesome and huge portions. Even though they were quite busy and we did not have a reservation, they made us feel welcomed and arranged to seat us pretty quickly. Our waitress was very friendly and obviously knows we're tourists. So instead of talking to us with contempt, she was very patient, friendly and helpful with everything. Totally worth the visit and I'm sure you'll enjoy the food as well.

Reviewed 22 August 2016 via mobile

Get the dumpling trio. It's worth the 14 euros. It's really good and so is the leak clear soup broth with potato dumpling. Also had dessert. All in all I felt like I had a German food experience that was not a tourist trap. Good place in central Munich. Nice people and wait staff. Sat at a long table with other groups because that's how you eat and drink in Germany.

Reviewed 20 August 2016 via mobile

Me and my other half had a fabulous evening at Wirtshaus in der Au. The food was absolutely fabulous. Having lived in Germany myself for a few years I can testify to the authenticity of the food. We had the Bauernschmaus which is a fantastic option to share with someone as then you get to try lots of local delicacies.
We both had beers (obviously!) and for dessert we had cheesecake.
The waitress who served us was fantastic and she provided an English menu for my OH.
My only tiny criticism was how unbelievably hot it was inside - but given the numbers of people and the time of year this is not surprising- wear cool clothes!
Booking is essential...It was full when we went.
A must try in Munich!