“Nice little place - excellent breakfast”
Review of Hotel Garni Probst

Hotel Garni Probst
Ranked #35 of 126 Hotels in Nuremberg
Reviewed 26 December 2011

This is a very convenient hotel, close to the train station and downtown. We stayed here and attended the Christmas Market. It worked out very well. The family that runs the hotel were kind and accommodating. They spoke really good English and the breakfast was super. There are some strip clubs down the street, but there are also some nicer restaurants. It's kind of a mixed bag along the street. This is a nice clean hotel and a really good value.

• Stayed: December 2011, travelled with family
1  Thank droraback

Reviewed 25 December 2011

We wanted a hotel near the Train Station but still easy walk to the main Square, and this place suited us perfectly.

It is clean, comfortable and safe.

The room is basic, and enough for us because we were out the whole day anyway. The breakfast is good, offering continental with boiled eggs and cold meats.

Since it was winter, we had the windows closed. While we can hear street noises in the early evening/night, it was quiet later and did not disturb us from a good night rest. Maybe people were not out so late in the winter?

We were in a Triple Room, which was large enough, no problem there.

The only complaints I had were the small shower stall with curtains. If you are not careful, the water will splash out onto the floor, making for a very wet bathroom, as one of our member found out.

The other inconvenience is that after taking elevator to the Hotel Reception on the 3rd floor, we had to carry our bags downstairs to our room on the 2nd floor, and of course back up again on the day we leave. Since we had smaller bags, it wasn't such a big issue for us. However, the staff were very helpful offering to help with our bags.

Other than that, we really like this place, and think it is real value comparing with other hotels in the vicinity.

• Stayed: December 2011
Reviewed 4 October 2011

Nuremberg was the halfway point for my trip to Munich. I stayed here with my significant other and a group of four friends. The Hotel Garni Probst is very small with maybe 30 rooms. It is family own and has very few amenities. You can purchase wireless internet from the front desk for a small fee. The entrance to the hotel is kinda hidden and you have to take a small elevator just to access the receptionist area. I will have to say that when we arrived at the hotel, I thought we were going to be in for a interesting time. The hotel is located in the old town area but it is flanked by three strip clubs and an adult novelty shop. I felt like we may have made a left instead of a right and ended up in Amsterdam! But in all seriousness there was no problems due to the local business and we could not had found a better place to stay. All the staff were extremely pleasant and they spoke a fair amount of English. The rooms were nice and modern and the bathroom was very large with awesome water pressure! There is a complimentary home made breakfast that I would highly recommend. With the exception of the businesses I mentioned earlier the Hotel Garni Probst is located in a very convenient area. Its about a 15 minute walk to the Nuremberg Castle. I would recommend checking out as much of the old town area as possible. In short, the only disappointment I had was the fact that we only spent one night here.

• Stayed: September 2011, travelled with friends
1  Thank officerb
Reviewed 24 September 2011

This smaller family owned-operated hotel is in the perfect location in Nurenberg! It is very close to train station and all transportation to local sites. Don't let the street entrance appearance scare you as it changes once you go up the elevator to the true hotel hall way and small lobby. We were met at the elevator by Herr Probst, the dad/owner, who was very friendly and welcoming, as he greeted us by our name! He speaks some English and assured us we would like the room that was ready, as it would be very quiet. It was also no smoking and he quickly found 2 extra pillows for us. Room #209 was large,with a small table + 2 chairs and a lounge-type couch. The large bed was so very comfortable with excellent linens and the modern bath was spotless! The daily breakfast is beautifully served & plentiful with many slections! Mom Elizabeth & daughter Suzanne speak very fluent English and were helpful, courteous and always cheerful! If you are looking for a fancy plush hotel this may not work for you but if you want a warm German experience while you visit Nuremberg then this is the place!

Room Tip: Ask for room on the back courtyard
  • Stayed: September 2011, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 30 April 2011

Nurnberg was a last minute decision for us just to break the long train ride from cologne to prague. And what a blessing we did that because Nurnberg is a wonderful charming old town and Hotel Garni Probst is the perfect place to stay. They are located in the most charming part of town, very near the train station where you get to have the "old feel" of the place. Everything is within easy walking distance.

The owners serve a huge array of breakfast unlike any other small hotels. The staff are all very friendly, courteous and helpful, it is no wonder so many people wrote compliments about them that they tacked onto their wall of fame.

Nurnberg and Hotel garni Probst may very well be one of the highlights and favorites of our entire 30 days around Europe trip.

PS. I especially love the whimsical toilet paper roll they have in the bathroom that i took one roll with me and replaced it with a plain one :p

• Stayed: April 2011, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Kimerald_Evangelista
Reviewed 21 February 2011

I arrived in Nuremberg in mid May, cold rainy and grey. I was directed to this hotel by the very friendly tourist staff, and I was happy to stay there. The owners were happy to chat with you about anything, they offered me a few rooms to see and when the size I wanted was only in the smoking section, they found a larger room in the non smoking area for the same low price. I shared the bath and shower, but they were kept immaculately clean, I had a sink in my room with towels and soap, a nice warm radiator heater, two firm mattresses, and lots of room and lights. I had no problem finding everything in the city, as the staff recommended good restaurants, lebkuchen, wiener schnitzel and neat things to see. I had a terrific breakfast every day. The buffet had fresh bread and rolls of multiple types, sweet breads homemade, and the jams that were homemade were delicious, don't skip them! There were yoghurt with cereals, eggs to order, and I couldn't eat all that was available. I can't say enough good about this place. When I arrived there, an Aussie family was leaving and they were raving, so that gave me more good hope. When we go back, I plan on staying there longer, nice staff, made me feel at home!

• Stayed: May 2010, travelled solo
Reviewed 20 February 2011

We arrived in Nuremberg around 10am after a long flight from Australia to Frankfurt, followed by a train from the airport to Nuremberg. We were tired and hopeful that the hotel would allow us to leave our bags so we could wander around town before check in. Instead, we were shown to our room immediately, which was a huge relief.

The room itself was large, well equipped, good value (around 70e) and spotless. The style was a little dated (although slightly charming) but that didn't bother us at all - cleanliness of comfort were of greater importance at that time, and we were only staying for one night.

The location was great, being close to the station and within the old town, and although there was a very slight seediness to the surrounding area it was nothing to worry about. Our room overlooked an internal courtyard and was very quiet. The hotel has a lift so no stairs to deal with.

The breakfast was one of the better we had at this price range - nothing amazing about it but everything was fresh and high quality.

The only downside was the lack of free wi-fi. It's available but for a price (I think 4e for 12 hours or something similar). This was the only time we came across this during a month in Europe.

The best part of our stay were the friendly staff (I believe it's a family-run hotel). These people really care about their business, which showed in the state of the room, the standard of the breakfast, and the general friendliness whenever we spoke to them. Not sure if I'll ever visit Nuremberg again (although it's a lovely city) but if I did I'd stay at Hotel Garni Probst, no doubt about it.

• Stayed: January 2011, travelled as a couple