“Traditional” 4 of 5 bubbles

Neighbourhood: Altstadt - St. Lorenz
Lincolnshire
“Traditional”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 January 2014 via mobile

A real find. Traditional German food, Traditional German interior, and Traditional good service from people in Traditional Bavarian costume. A ceramic stove to keep us warm, wood panelling and 18th century portraits on the wall.

Beer and sausage for about 10euro. Just what I was looking for! Big thank you to the lady who served us, who was cheerful, efficient and made my evening!

Recommend.

Visited January 2014
1 Thank brunnian

• Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
Tadworth, United Kingdom
“Lovely Typical German Restaurant”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 31 December 2013

If you're going to visit this restaurant, do go early evening as the venue gets very busy with locals which is a good recommendation in itself. A small, but authentic German restaurant, although the owner didn't come across as over friendly, this could have been because of the language barrier, but the quality of the food and atmosphere more than made up for it.
The venue is near to the Christmas Market which is ideal if you're staying near the station as we were, therefore, it was about half way.
The food was excellent, the beef, although large chunks was unbelievably tender, I wasn't sure what the dumpling was made of, not a bit like ours at home! We thought we'd visit again on the second night, but unfortunately, they were packed solid and no offer of a table later. At least we visited the one night and am very pleased we did. I'd definitely return.

1 Thank MrsBoxerDog
Birmingham, AL
“never had a chance”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 December 2013

first this review isn't about the food since we never had the opportunity to eat here. After reading reviews on TripAdvisor I thought this would be a good choice during our stay. I sent emails to arrange a reservation but never heard back...so on our first night in Nuremberg for Christkindlmarkt decided to go by in person...the restaurant wasn't very busy considering the crowds in town. The woman serving tables ignored me for several minutes, I finally got the attention of an older gentlemen who didn't seem too happy with my not so good German, when I asked about a reservation for the next day he glanced at a book and said nothing is available...I asked for the next day with the same answer...the page he was looking at was that days date...
As someone born and raised in Nuremberg, I was embarrassed that my wife and I were treated this way...As it turns out we found a GREAT place down the street and ate there two nights in a row (Der Andechser).

• 1 of 5 bubbles
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank VinoBambinos
Arlington, Virginia
“Best for grown-ups”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 December 2013

The food is very good, but this is one place that I would leave my kids behind next time. My kids did fine and enjoyed themselves, but this restaurant is really more for the grown ups. There is not a lot of room and it is clearly well loved by the locals. The restaurant carries a lot of local wines and beers. I went ahead and tried the flaming schnapps drink. It comes to your table in a little ceramic spoon that is flaming away. You let it burn for 30 seconds before putting out the fire and drinking. It tastes amazing and it is quite the presentation.

Leamington Spa, United Kingdom
“Great food and beer”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 November 2013

We came across this place by chance ... We had it on our list , but couldn't find it ...
So glad we did and as it was early we managed to get the last free table .. And this was on a Friday at 6.30pm.
Had a real tasty steak each , no fat and perfectly cooked , with a mixed salad.
The salad cam a little too oiled up for our liking , but that is the usual way it is served.
A gorgeous warm raspberry and ice cream desert and a few of the dark beers ( very strong ).
The waiter was extremely friendly and spoke perfect English.
The place was full of regulars and no tourists , which is always a good sign.

• Visited October 2013