“Great hotel close to city center”

Sheraton Carlton Hotel Nuernberg
Ranked #21 of 126 Hotels in Nuremberg
Reviewed 16 August 2012

We stayed this summer one night in the Sheraton Nürnberg hotel. The location is very convenient close to the old town and the train station. The hotel seems to be newly renovated. Rooms are spacious and clean but have no view. Our room was very quiet. The staff is very friendly and helpful. There is a garage and a parking space opposite of the hotel.

• Stayed: August 2012, travelled with family
There are newer reviews for Sheraton Carlton Hotel Nuernberg

Reviewed 15 August 2012

We were travelling with 3 young children and asked for 2 connecting rooms, that worked out perfect. Everybody had enough space and felt very comfy. Rooms are simply decorated, but very clean and nice. Our rooms had no view - it looked like construction site, it did not bother us since we stayed only one night. The breakfast buffet was excellent, very big selection, lots of organic produce, good fruit selection and at the end of our meal kids received "Playmobil" toy each. They were incredibly happy, did we. Our destination was Playmobil park near Nuremberg and it took 15-20 minutes to get there from the hotel. We would stay in the Sheraton Carlton Nuremberg again!

• Stayed: July 2012
1  Thank Veidemanel
Reviewed 6 August 2012

Great location next to the Old Town, great food, great service. I chose the Sheraton for the comfort and safety of a fully smoke-free hotel. I'm happy with the choice and would stay here again, despite the disappointing absence of a Starwood Lounge.

• Stayed: August 2012, travelled solo
Reviewed 15 July 2012

This hotel worked out great for a 3 day stay from the US. Location is just outside the walled city with easy walking to the city. Breakfast in the hotel was excellent and the best pizza in town is right across street. I would stay here again...

Room Tip: Floor 1 rooms have easy staircase access to avoid sometimes busy elevator.
  • Stayed: July 2012, travelled on business
1  Thank ars_sr
Reviewed 14 July 2012

We stayed in this hotel for three nights and overall found it to be satisfactory. The room was just okay; bed was not the most comfortable and the bathroom was nothing luxurious, which I expected from the hotel's 5-star rating. We did not have breakfast included in our room rate and I thought the price for the buffet was a bit high. I was really disappointed that there was no a la carte option, although I found this to be the case in every hotel we stayed at in Germany, so be prepared to pay upwards of 20 Euro or more when visiting German hotels (much more in Munich/Berlin).

We liked that this hotel was close to the train station and old town - although we only found out the second day or so that if you turn right instead of left upon exiting the hotel, your walk to the center of the city will be much, much closer!

Nuremberg is a great place to visit and really convenient for traveling to other Bavarian cities. To that end, we appreciated that parking in this hotel was very easy and also the daily parking rate was reasonable.

This a fine hotel but nothing "special" or memorable about it in terms of a vacation property. It gets the job done but I can't say it was a beautiful property - just a basic Sheraton experience.

• Stayed: July 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank marieny524
Reviewed 9 July 2012

We arrived by train and walked to the hotel in only a few minutes. We asked for a room away from the street and they explained that it was a quiet area but after insisting, they gave us a room that overlooked a courtyard which was very quiet as this was a Saturday night. The courtyard however could be very noisy and dirty during the week as the building directly next door had been demolished and I suspect there would be heavy construction going on during the week. The walled city was only a few minutes away so it was very convenient for sightseeing. We asked the front desk for some recommendations for a good German meal and they made a couple of suggestions which turned out very well. We didn't have breakfast at the hotel but found several bakeries open on Sunday morning where we could sit outside and enjoy coffee and pastries. Missing from the hotel was complementary internet service which you could get from a variety of local coffee shops.

Room Tip: Don't take a courtyard room if there is construction going on next to the hotel.
  • Stayed: June 2012, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 8 July 2012

After checking out other hotel options for my just-completed weekend trip to Nuernberg, I went with the Sheraton Carlton (SC), as it was only a bit more per night than the 4- and 4.5-star offering in the city. I was initially drawn to the Le Meridien Grand (LMG) but went with the SC, as I've had good experiences with Sheratons around the world, and it -- like the LMG -- was located very near the main train station.

Things started alright when I checked in early Friday evening; I liked the compact, attractive lobby, and I quickly received my key to a room on the 7th floor.

The room, while pleasant and very clean, was a bit of a disappointment -- no one thing was wrong or out of place, but the wooden furniture and low bed -- actually, two twins covered with king sheets, but with two twin comforters -- didn't bespeak 5 stars: maybe 4. The bathroom was quite nice, with very sleek lights on either side of a large, spotless mirror over the sink. The water was hot, and shower pressure was pretty good -- something that's often not the case in European hotels. The tub was a proper soaking unit but no separate shower -- just the folding glass panel with a rubber sweep where the panel meets the top of the tub: another common Euro-hotel touch. It all worked fine, however, no complaints about the bathroom (which also featured a bidet).

Internet: as is common in many smaller European hotels, the SC only offered (wireless) internet service via coupons that one had to buy at the reception desk. I used a previously purchased T-mobile Hotspot pass for my first night and then when in another room (more on this in a bit), the Hotspot source was gone, and I had to purchase a 24-hour coupon for the second day of my stay. At least the cost was fairly reasonable, 8 Euros, but still; a 5-star hotel should either offer free internet or at least allow guest to charge it to their rooms from their rooms.

Why I had to change rooms: I awoke on Saturday morning (around 9 a.m.) to the sounds of machinery banging away. I looked out my window and saw that my "courtyard-view" standard room also took in the sights and sounds of a very busy construction effort adjacent to to the SC. I asked to be moved, and the reception staff agreed and quickly sent a bellboy to help me move my things to another room. The second room, on the 3rd floor, overlooked the side street on which the SC's main entrance was located and was much quieter. I'd forgotten my dopp kit in my prior room; another call to reception took care of that, and I quickly received it from the same bellboy.

The other major disappointment during my SC stay came when I returned to my room on Saturday night to bath and change clothes, only to find that housekeeping had decided to skip servicing the room. I called reception, and the clerk asked whether I'd had the DND sign hanging on the doorknob. I told her I had, but that I'd taken it down before leaving for the day (at around 1 p.m.). Her response: "Really? That's weird." When I asked if the room could be done when I went out for the evening, she responded (as I'd expected) that the housekeeping crew had gone and would only return in the morning. She asked if I needed towels or sheets; I said I'd make do with what I had (only used that morning).

Room climate control: My first room had a very noisy fan on the high setting; it was normal in my second room. It wasn't hot in Nuernberg over the weekend (early July), and the room's A/C (which I had on to sleep) appeared to defer to the (possibly) cooler air outside. As mentioned above, the low faux-king beds in both rooms weren't the height of luxury but proved to be pretty comfortable for a good night's sleep. If anything, the twin comforters made things a bit warm at times....

In sum, the SC proved to be an attractive property and (at least after I changed rooms) good for sleeping and showering. Still, I don't see what elevates the SC to 5-star status. My stay was 3 star-worthy, and the SC looked and felt to be in the same league as many 4- and 4.5-star properties at which I've stayed. I paid $115/night on Expedia, not including taxes, and this rate did not include breakfast.

I'll probably try the LMG the next time I visit Nuernberg.

• Stayed: July 2012, travelled solo