“Never ever again!”

Ranked #100 of 126 Hotels in Nuremberg
Pilsen, Czech Republic
“Never ever again!”
Reviewed 12 December 2010

This hotel was a nightmare. We ordered a doubleroom with a cot. First we were sent to a part of the hotel where we could not find our room. After that the receptionist found out that our room is in other part, without elevator. As we reached this room, it was the most terrible room we have ever seen, full of smoke (smoker room). As a third trial we got a very small room, where we could hardly put the cot. We wanted to leave but it was impossible to talk to the boss, she was very arrogant and wanted us to pay 90% of the price. The furniture, carpets and bath look like 30 years ago, maybe the hotel received its 3 star rating that days. The only good things were location and breakfast. The price was absolutely not adequate to the service. We are sure we will never come back again and will not recommend this hotel.

• Stayed December 2010, travelled with family
2 Thank lionesscz

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (2)
London
Reviewed 7 December 2010

My sister & I have just returned from a long weekend in Nuremberg. We stayed at the small, family run Burghotel Stammhus and couldn't have been more pleased. Our room was a decent size overlooking the front of the hotel. There was a mini bar, desk & small seating area. The bathroom was tiny but had a powerful shower. It was very clean but could have done with updating. It also had a hairdryer. Bed linen and towels were fresh, crisp & clean. A nice touch were the little chocolate 'Father Christmases left on our beds.The breakfast room was bright and sunny & guests were free to use the area for relaxing, during the day or evening. The continental breakfast was mostly 'Franconian' with lots of pickles & saurkraut, plus the usual cheeses, hams, yoghurts etc. There was a choice of three cereals(cornflakes, muesli & a nutty cereal), plus orange or mango juice. There was a lovely coffee machine but for us English tea-drinkers there was no 'breakfast tea' only a selection of other types. Two small dishes of scrambled egg & streaky bacon were also supplied.
The staff were all extremely friendly and helpful, even the stressed German-speaking Spaniard on the desk the first day and the 'new-boy' the 2nd day.
The hotel is situated in a great position. The castle is just at the end of the road, up the hill and the Christmas market about 5 mins walk, down the hill.
The hotel was perfect for a weekend stay but if you're looking for somewhere with all the extras - (free toiletries, safe, telephone, etc etc.), then you will have to pay more & go elsewhere. Whilst we were there we were the only English visitors; the rest were German. We could not find any fault with this hotel and would be happy to return in the future. By the way, Nuremberg is a wonderful old city and well worth a visit.

• Stayed December 2010
1 Thank Maria1952
Sterling, Virginia
Reviewed 17 July 2010

Yes, it's up near the top of the Castle hill (but wait 'til you have to climb the rest of the way TO the Castle door, THEN you have really CLIMBED!) But the views areall spectacular so it's worth it, just pace yourself! ;-)
Anyway, this is one charming, quaint little Old Town hotel, my tiny (but complete) room faced north onto the front street so it did get a bit of noisy traffic through the evening, nothing too distracting though. This was an unusually hot and steamy week in Europe however so stifling is an apt description and I slept with the windows wide open. That helped but you should be aware they apparently DO have fans they can let guests borrow, just didn't drop that little fact on me until checkout, hmmmm. ;-(
Service was most hospitable and warm, I had a great email relationship with them before I arrived, and all the girls at reception were kind and gave wonderful local advice and directions while I was there.
One major reason I picked this hotel, besides the great rate and location, was the free wi fi. It's there alright, just very erratic. You have to sign on every single time, pretty annoying, other than that it's a lifesaver.
And the breakfast is well worth the extra 6euros. As previous reviewers noted, it was lovely to take breakfast out on or by the south-facing terrace, birds chirping, a nice cool breeze going on before the oven set in. Great selection of cereals, breads, juices, fancy espresso and cappuccino maker, eggs, meats, cheeses, a pleasant surprise in this smalltown hotel.
Once you (quickly) get the lay of the land, this is a short 5-10 min walk to the nearest metro station Lorenzkirche, and from there just one stop back to Hauptbahnhoff itself. Straight shot to the airport from there. Perfect!

• Stayed July 2010, travelled solo
Toronto
Reviewed 6 June 2006

I had booked a double room (incl. child) and a single room for my mother many months before our arrival on May 26, 2006. My mother even called them long-distance from Australia to confirm our bookings and she said that she had a nice conversation with the lady manager. When my husband, young child and I arrived at the hotel in the afternoon they rudely told me that there were no rooms left and that they had a triple room for us at the Shornnen broenen (sp?); the hotel was actually the Garni in the market place down the road.

We had come from Canada and my mother was to arrive late that night, so we had to organize a single room at the Garni for my mother too. There was no way we could contact my mother to tell her what had happened so when she had arrived at the BurgHotel she had to tell the male manager that it was not her fault that they had changed the hotel, so he eventually gave the taxi money to send her to the Garni.

Well, the Garni was under construction on the outside and it totally stunk like sewer in the hallways and lift area. The triple room was ok but my Mother's single room was tiny, decrepit and dirty. This place was a hole and the service there was the WORST. The lady manager was not a nice person. She was outright rude to us and other guests in the morning at breakfast. My husband and son were 5 minutes late for breakfast one morning and although there was still food out the lady manager said that it was too late for them and she quickly packed it all away. We needed to iron a shirt one day for an appointment for my husband and they did not have one and the lady manager said that it had broken! My son had cut himself on glass near the hotel and when we got back my Mum had to be very persistent with the manager to help us with something to wrap my sons wrist - the woman had told my Mum to walk around the town on a Sunday to look for a pharmacy - eventually the manager went to the storeroom and got a piece of bandage for my son. I HATED the Garni and I especially HATE what the Burg Hotel had done to us, and find it disgusting that they had done this before.

Please book with caution - beware!!!

• Stayed May 2006
1 Thank eljela

Travellers are raving about these Nuremberg hotels

London
Reviewed 5 May 2006

I really liked this little hotel - the people were friendly the room & adjoining shower room were very clean, modern and very pleasant. It had a south facing balcony overlooking a pretty park and was quiet and peaceful although very near the centre of town, right under the castle. The bathroom had a good shower, which in my experience you often don't find in these small hotels, but it was modern and controllable! The breakfast had a really good selection - everything from usual fruit, eggs cereals and different types of bread, crispbread and jam to unusual things cheese stuffed mushrooms, pickled tomatoes and even liqueur chocolates if you wanted them ! It was delightful having breakfast on the terrace listening to the birds singing. The main reception of the hotel is the only thing I'd criticise, it looks a bit tired although tht too is very clean, i thought maybe that is the only part they have not renovated. Anyway don't let that put you off the rest of it . To sum up, I found this hotel a real little oasis in a very nice part of the town, and certainly for a summer stay it cannot be beat if you get one of the south facing rooms. I had an evening meal in a place just around the corner called "Hutt'n" - it's a traditional German restaurant which was friendly, nice home cooking type food and good value for money. If you are going there with anyone old or who finds it hard to walk, be aware that the hotel is towards the top of the castle hill, right in the historical part of town. Someone else posted here and complained about being transferred to another hotel with an 82 year old in their party but I cannot imagine how they'd have managed with an 82 year old - the old person would have found it very difficult to toil up the long steep hill from the Christmas market, and as far as I am aware there were no handy buses or at least I didn't see any, just some taxis.. In fact there is almost no traffic in the old part of Nuremberg so they probably couldn't have driven down there either. And they would have found it hard walking almost anywhere else in this particular part of town either! So maybe it was a blessing in disguise for them that they didn't stay in that location! But if you are reasonably fit then of course the hill is no problem.

Stayed May 2005
4 Thank Reflectorgo
A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed 1 January 2005

Booked this hotel online through ----------, when we arrived the hotel told us that they had moved our booking to a sister hotel out of the old town and we could not stay in the hotel we had booked!!

This was very inconvenient as we were only there for a short while to see the Christmas Markets and had an elderly person with us (82 years).

This appears to be a sneaky way of getting people to book one hotel in a good location and then palm them off on another hotel.

Cancelled the booking on principal and will not use the "TIPTOP Hotels" group ever again.

2 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
UK
Reviewed 12 August 2004

In the heart of the Old Town just around the corner from the castle, the Albrecht Durer house and the Stadtmuseum, this small hotel is situated in a quiet, residential side street. Offering small rooms that are reasonably dated, it is nonetheless clean and convenient. Our room, at the back of the hotel, had a nice balcony overlooking a small park and residential housing, offering a glimpse of what it might be like to live in this fascinating city. The breakfast had the usual wide selection and could be taken on the small and sunny terrace at the back. There was also a small, indoor swimming pool. This hotel offered reasonable value for money for its good location and is a good choice for exploring the Old Town on foot. Be warned, however, it is approx. 20 minutes walk from the station (all up-hill!). Taxis from outside the station cost around 7 Euros and are a good investment!

4 Thank Mike_Montmorency