“A Great Hostel with a Great Location”

Five Reasons Hotel & Hostel
GreenLeadersBronze level
Reviewed 20 December 2013

I've been to several hostels, but this one is truly great. One of the best I've been to. It's located just a couple of minutes from the main train station inside the city walls. It has been completely renovated. The rooms are nice and clean. The bathrooms are big and clean. They offer different types of breakfasts. They have a kitchen where you can prepare yourself a meal. It is definitely worth the price. The hostel is a few minutes from the main attractions in the historic centre of Nuremberg. If you plan a visit to the city, choose this hostel!!!

Room Tip: The double private room with shared bathroom is a good choice!
  • Stayed: December 2013, travelled as a couple

Reviewed 12 November 2013

first of all. Great location Its within the old wall of the old city. Its 7-10 mins from the Central rail station where you can depart and arrive on a train from the rest of Germany.It is by a underground/subway station called "Opernhaus" which does connect you directly to Nuremberg airport If you get U2 train!
Then the hostel is 5-10 mins walk into the centre of the old city.

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled solo
Reviewed 21 October 2013

Honestly, I've never had such a dramatic reversal in my opinion. What a shame.

This hostel offers excellent value for money and really goes above what you'd expect from a hostel. The 4-bed dorm we were in was very big, had individual safes in the room and 24-hour key card access to the building and the dorm. The bathroom was kept clean, and the rainfall showers were very spacious and a pleasure to use. The hostel has a little dining area next to the reception where they serve breakfast (which we did not eat), and offers a kitchen for guests to prepare their own meals. There are also a pair of couches to relax on. Free wifi access was good throughout the hostel (even in the room).

Unfortunately, here's where things go sour. I was staying with a friend who joined me later at the hostel. I had already paid for my bed for the two nights, and we agreed with the receptionist that my friend would pay for his bed later when he arrived. When my friend did arrive (much later), we put his stuff down in the dorm and then left the hostel. In the excitement, we just wanted to go out and forgot to settle his bill. Fast forward the next morning. The owner barges into the dorm, waking us up and asking who hasn't paid his bill. We immediately apologized and told him we would be right down to settle it. After a quick shower, I find my friend packing his stuff and the owner telling us that we are "undesirable" (his words), and that he refused to have us at his hostel any longer. The reasons for this eviction was an "inexcusable" violation of the rules (sleeping without paying), as well as a "very aggressive" other friend who had tried to come into the dorm earlier in the morning. This other friend was joining us to go spend the day with us in Nuremberg, and had asked to be given access to the dorm but had the door literally closed in front of him. To add insult to injury, the owner also accused us of making a mess in the bathroom - a crime we were not guilty of. We ended up having to find another place for the second night. Since I had paid two nights and my friend none, we left without paying anything else.

Overall, it is impossible for me to recommend this hostel. Based on my observations, I would recommend a change in management. The owner should be kept well away from the premises, and a professional General Manager hired to take care of daily operations. If these changes are implemented, I am confident for the future of this establishment which otherwise is a real delight.

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled with friends
1  Thank switzerlandtravels
Reviewed 15 September 2013

This was a lovely hostel in a brilliant location in Nuremberg. The room was really spacious and very clean. The staff were very friendly and helpful, and as soon as we arrived we were given a map, the guy marked out all the tourist attractions we could go to, he also told us a bit of the history of Nürenberg and recommended some really good places to eat. The bathroom although not an en-suite in the room was the most swanky bathroom I have ever seen in a hostel and was also very clean, it also hand hand towels, soap and a hairdryer to use unlike other hostels. The only downside was that I only stayed one night, wish I could have stayed longer and will definitely be back again.

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled with friends
Reviewed 10 September 2013

This hostel/hotel has been refurbished recently and is now very clean, bright and comfortable. I booked a single room with a shared bathroom for a night. Very good internet. It was a 10 minute or so walk from the station, and close to attractions in the southern half of the city. I'm not sure there were many people in the hostel, but it was quiet. There was no online booking through their own website, but they were very easy to email with in English. A good value for money choice.

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled solo
Reviewed 6 September 2013

This place, now called th Five Reasons Hostel, is easily one of the best hostels that we have stayed in our entire trip. The staff was very friendly and super knowledgeable about everything from attractions, to places to eat, to advising us on the local weather. The rooms were comfy, and came with large lockers that you "rent" for a euro. The bathrooms were clean and spacious, and the kitchen was small but useful, and never that busy. Travelers here were also a joy, and we spent many hours sharing beer and stories in the dining room. Really an excellent hostel. And did I mention that its a five minute walk from the train station? Loved this place!

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 1 June 2013

I stayed two nights in this hostel with my friends. The rooms are new and clean, and was a all girls dormitory. The bathroom is really good, recently remodeled. Has elevator, a nice well-equiped kitchen and the best thing is the location. Best place to stay in Nürenberg.

• Stayed: March 2013, travelled with friends