“too expensive”
Review of Hotel Elch

Hotel Elch
Ranked #7 of 126 Hotels in Nuremberg
Reviewed 27 March 2013

Decent hotel, well located. Good breakfast - no variation though, same thing everyday - not very big choice. on booking it says no prepayment charge but they took the money upfront without even letting us know, kind of unprofessional. no manager on site, the cook solves any issues and she was not so pleasant at first, only after a chat with her manager! she kept ignoring me while talking back!!! no heater in the bathroom - not good for winter time! FREE WiFi!!! ( not so common in "civilized countries" anymore!!!

• Stayed: March 2013, travelled on business
1  Thank tudy27

Reviewed 11 March 2013

My mother and I arrived here on a freezing day in December and immediately felt very welcome! We’d just come off a very long flight from Australia, and although we arrived a bit early for check-in, we were shown straight to our room.

The Elch is in a great spot – it’s on a pretty street in Nuremberg’s Old Town, about a 5 minute walk from the main square and the enchanting Christmas Market.

The hotel is in a beautiful old characterful building and therefore there were a few creaky stairs, and low-lying beams etc., but we loved it and thought it added to the charm of the place!

Our room was very spacious and the beds were very comfortable. The bathroom, while small, was perfectly fine and the breakfast was wonderful – heaps of different choices (both hot and cold).

In the evenings, the Hotel’s breakfast room turns into a Schnitzelria restaurant – we ate there one evening and thought it was delicious and very good value for money.

All in all, we had a fantastic stay at the Hotel Elch, and will definitely stay there again when we come back to Nuremberg.

• Stayed: December 2012, travelled with family
1  Thank ClaireJessica
Reviewed 26 January 2013

The front elevation leaves you in no doubt you have selected a special building. A beautiful old traditional German style. The bar and small reception area are very atmospheric with great old timbers and huge old atmosphere. Service was very friendly and English was no problem. I arrived very late at night and had a very top floor room. It was quite a long trek with my bags up several flights of old stairs. My room was very clean and the bed comfortable. The On suite was also clean and very functional. The room was ok but maybe the decor not to all tastes. Maybe I had an older room in terms of decor but it was ok. Please expect creaky floors and stairs. The location is perfect for a stroll in the altstadt and I had a lovely typical Nuremberg sausage dinner just round the corner. Breakfast was nicely laid out . If I return I would request a room on a lower floor.

Room Tip: if you have a case and bags request a low floor room as there is no lift and quite old staircases to...
  • Stayed: January 2013, travelled on business
4  Thank 186332Phil
Reviewed 25 January 2013

I stayed 3 nights at the Hotel Elch and booked a single room. I arrived early (12:00) and luckily my room was ready - I was put in a room with two twin beds pushed together and was the perfect size for myself. Just so happens that I got a room on the first floor so I didn't have to lug a huge backpack up too far as there is no elevator.

The staff were really friendly and spoke pretty good English. They were always available to help (even a 24-hour phone line incase someone isn't there). Breakfast was included in the room price and had a good selection of foods - eggs, meat, cheese, fruit, cereal, yogurt, juice/tea/coffee.

The location of the hotel is great. Just a few minutes walk from the main square where the Christmas markets are held. The rest of town is not too far about - probably about a 10 minute walk. The Hauptbahnhof is also within walking distance if you're okay to carry your luggage.

Overall had a really good stay here and would definitely recommend it to anyone looking for a well-priced, cozy hotel in Nuremberg!

• Stayed: January 2013, travelled solo
2  Thank andreanbarrett
Reviewed 23 January 2013

First off, the parking area, while small, is right across the street which is very convenient (see pictures). You can't get much closer to the Altstadt, which was great for visiting the Christkindlmarkt or anything in the central part of the city. The staff speaks good English and were very friendly, so that is a plus if you do not speak German.

The hotel Schnitzelria downstairs was excellent so be sure to book early. We would definitely stay here again.

Room Tip: There is no elevator, so if you have a lot of luggage a lower floor would be better.
  • Stayed: December 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank xHypex
Reviewed 22 January 2013

We stayed here for 2 nights - 23/24 Dec :)
I was drawn to the hotel for booking - due to the building itself being an old half timbered "gingerbread house" and the age of it having been established as a hotel in 1342 and being the first hotel in Nuremberg - the reviews online were mostly positive and the price was within budget and included breakfast and wifi - what wasn't to like.

Travelling during the Christmas period ment that alot of the larger atractions in town were closed but the staff were able to point us in the direction of a few gems to keep us entertained and get a feel for the town.

The room was a great size, room to dance if you want to have a groove - a barfridge, tv, small amount of hanging space - bathroom clean and nicely sized. Walking distance (15mins) from the main train station into Nuremberg.

I noticed somebody in another review mentioning it being "dark" in the rooms - we noticed that though most of Europe they are using power efficient globes in many of the hotels, that become brighter as they warm up - so initially when you turn them on they are a little dim but this does improve over a short amount of time.

• Stayed: December 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Ali_loves_Dal
Reviewed 21 December 2012

My parents and I came here on the 17-19 December. They had a spacious double room (number 7) and I had number 10 in the attic, which was smaller, but still had a double. The rooms were absolutely gorgeous! The showers were hot and very powerful and the rooms were very clean. The breakfast consisted of- any beverage hot or cold, cereal, cooked breakfast to cold meats and cheeses and breads. Very nice! What really impressed me was how close the hotel was to everything- the underground, the christmas markets and the museums. There are also some lovely restaurants around. The staff were so very lovely with a good sense of humour and they spoke flawless english, even if they were very modest about it! If you want a hotel with character and close to everything this is perfect! The only downside is that the walls are rather thin and can hear other people and noise outside, but this does not go on for too late! I had the most wonderful time here, and if I could I would be back there now!

Room Tip: If you have lots of luggage or are less mobile, as to be on a lower floor as there is no lift.
  • Stayed: December 2012, travelled with family