For the first time, I feel misled by the TripAdvisor reviews. I don't think I demand much, particularly of 2-star hotels (for which I have a soft spot), so when some of the reviews of this place said it was great for the price, perfectly-located, and included a generous free breakfast and near-free Internet, I didn't think twice. However as another reviewer put it, I wouldn't go back for free.
-Two minute walk to the Lorenzkirche UBahn (U1), square in the middle of the Altstadt
- Cheap Internet with strong and consistent connection (2 euros/24hrs). Though the internet card says 24 hrs, the system only debits the time actually used. As soon as the computer goes to sleep, for example, the clock stops running. Thus, my 24 hr card actually lasted me three nights.
- Very friendly, helpful, and sympathetic primary receptionist (who remains pleasant despite clearly being overworked)
- Good light...albeit from about 4 different overhead and bedside lamps rather than the sun, but still good.
- CHEAP. 49 euro per night.
- Rooms are filthy and poorly designed and maintained. Carpets: filthy. Shower: filthy. Even after cleaning: filthy. The bathroom was a nightmare. Dim, dank, and dressed in all the fittings of a 1960s gas station bathroom. The ceiling above the shower was assembled from old aluminum planks and allowed the showerer to see the dusty, grimy pipes just above his/her head. The towels and linens always looked/smelled clean, however the general grime of the place forced me to sleep in my clothes and keep my socks/slippers on the whole time.
- Hot water was slow in coming. One literally had to let the taps run for at least 5-10 minutes before the water would eventually warm. This was the case for both the sink and the shower.
- As has been mentioned, no full-length mirrors, which is the kind of thing you don't realize is going to be a huge inconvenience until you're confronted with it.
- The location in the pedestrian zone is definitely good for access to the UBahn and Altstadt, however it also means some difficulty in managing luggage during peak hours. Not the hotel's fault of course, but it was a pain to walk there with five bags.
- The Reception Desk closes between 12 and 5pm, meaning that you can't check in, check out, etc. between those times. Pain.
- The free breakfast, which usually makes up for all other inconveniences, was woefully disappointing. Brotchen (bread rolls), sliced cheeses and meats with condiments, boiled eggs, cereal, a bowl of apples, and a selection of juices and coffees. One doesn't expect much from a 2-star, but something hot and/or some fruits and vegetables on offer would be appreciated.
All in all, as soon as I arrived I wanted to leave. The 'Super Saver' single room that I originally booked (and which the word 'small' doesn't begin to describe. Stretch your arms out; that's about the width of it) had not been cleaned when I arrived, so the Receptionist kindly put me in an available Double. However as soon as I stepped in, I again wanted to leave. In my opinion, the cheap price and central location is not worth the unease and discomfort that comes with sleeping in a room that feels like it's been the scene of a few grizzly crimes. Better can be found at similar cost.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- In the heart of Nuremberg Shopping district of Old Town, City Centre the Lorenz Hotel Zentral is perfectly situated for you to explore the ancient town, to visit our various trade fairs or to fulfil your business purposes. A rich breakfast buffet and freshly grated coffee give you a good start into the new day. Only 40metres away is the Underground Station that takes you to Messe/Fairground within 10mins, to Airport within 20mins or to main station within 5mins. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Agoda, TripOnline SA, Ebookers, HotelsClick and Evoline ltd so you can book your Lorenz Hotel Zentral reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.