“Different” 3 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #117 of 126 Hotels in Nuremberg
Hastings, New Zealand
“Different”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 August 2012

Close to train station. Room was clean, but passage ways were very strong smelling with smoke this put us off having breakfast their, we felt like we were a inconvenience to owner when checking in but she was a bit more pleasant when we checked out after 2 days there, The owners have decorated the rooms and building with there dream of Africa, Bad dream we think.

• Stayed June 2012, travelled as a couple
    • 2 of 5 bubbles

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (3)
Hove, United Kingdom
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 31 March 2012

This has to be one of the worst hotels I have stayed in for a long time. I could only get a room here as there was a fair on in town and all the hotels treble or quadruple their prices.
I cannot think of anything complementary to say about this place, the room was poor, the shower was terrible, the bed was terrible, very poor sleep quality and the breakfast was a joke.
The final insult was I paid 149 Euro for the experience!

Room Tip: Don't do it.
  • Stayed March 2012, travelled on business
1 Thank Travellingsince1970

Travellers are raving about these Nuremberg hotels

Amsterdam
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 February 2011

We stayed at the Royal hotel for the Nurnberg toy fair. In my life I have stayed at a wide variety of hotels, some of them rate among the best in the world, but I have also stayed in hotels worse than this one. After reading the other reviews our expectations were quite low. We looked on the website and saw the Giraffe room. We made a joke about ending up there, which is exactly what we did.

If it weren't for the theme rooms this would be a cheap hotel like many others. Our room decoration alone made our stay a memorable one. It did not make our stay a more comfortable one though. I happened to be traveling with my girlfriend and our beds were separated by a medium sized tree, a giraffe and rocky land with prickly grass, just to make sure any romantic intentions would be considered twice. To get out of my bed I had to climb over imitation rocks, which isn't great when you have to go to the bathroom in your pyjama's in the middle of the night. This added to the amusement value of the room though and I liked the fact they made an effort to stand out.

Perhaps because of the design of the room there was only some floor lighting, apart from a small light on the desk. It made the tree light up beautifully, but was insufficient lighting for the room. After a while we found out the cubes next to the bed also had a built in light, although not very strong. It all looked romantic but it is not very practical when you want to read a book.. A small reading light was really missed.

Some other flaws could easily be fixed as well. The curtains in the shower were a tiny bit too short. Together with a hole in the shower tube this resulted in a totally wet bathroom after your shower. I am talking about a few millimeters of water everywhere. It made the bathroom practically unusable. Since there wasn't anywhere to drain the water, it just stayed there until we decided to use a towel to dry the entire floor. When I brought the shower tube with the hole to the reception desk the lady told me this was normal. It needed to have a hole to keep pressure, because of the carbondioxide in the water. I am sure there must be better ways to fix this. Because now half of the shower water squirted into the bathroom before it had even reached the showerhead.

The room was not very clean. The floor had not been washed recently and I heard similar complaints from other guests. Not difficult to fix. I am not sure if it is the result of certain tiredness of running the hotel or whether the cleaners were not well instructed.

Breakfast was actually pretty good. Nothing out of the ordinary but definitely more than sufficient for a hotel this price. I found the breakfast room very atmospheric and cosy. While we were having breakfast on saturday morning with some work colleagues, just after ten, the woman running the hotel came in and looked at us funny. Oh you're still here? she said, breakfast is finished! We felt like naughty school children. After a few minutes she started clearing everything away, without asking if we had had enough. At the reception desk there was a note stating that breakfast on saturdays was till 11. Perhaps they had forgotten? It felt a bit weird and unfriendly.

The smell when you enter the hotel is definitely a problem. It smells of stale smoke as soon as you enter the building. Again something that could be fixed by some fresh paint and smoking outside. Perhaps the owners don't smell it because they smoke themselves. All the guests we spoke to mentioned it.

One of the great things about the hotel is the location. It is right in the center, although on the 'wrong' side of the station (the pretty town center is on the other side of the station). But being just 100 meters away from the central station makes it very easy to get to from the airport.

The price is also ok, but if you are paying the high rate when there is a fair, like we did, the hotel is expensive for what you are getting.

All in all: If they could make the rooms a bit cleaner, improve on some basic functionality issues (shower and lighting) and be a bit friendlier to the guests, this could be a pretty decent low budget hotel.

• Stayed February 2011, travelled on business
2 Thank Retepcram
naples
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 August 2010

The owner accuses you of having smoked in the hotel (even you haven't) so she can ask you a lot of extra money. keep away from this hotel.

• Stayed May 2010, travelled on business
3 Thank lupariello
Meistereck, Manager at African Meistereck, responded to this review, 19 August 2010
Dear Sir

This is a kind of review we can not accept.

All our rooms are non smoking rooms and marked with non smoking signs. Because of our non smoking guests we can not accept smoking in the room.

If we find traces in your room, that you smoked indeed, you have to pay for the extra cleaning.

So if you book a room in our hotels, you will definitely get a Non Smoking room. We ensure that!

Best regards
Dennis Meistereck
Manager
Tauranga, New Zealand
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 July 2010

Because we heard the name “Royal” we presumed it must be an upmarket hotel. Oh how wrong we were. We were greeted at the Royal Hotel by half a jeep sticking out of the building just above the entrance. From the outside it looked like a panel beater’s workshop. Next we went into the reception area where we are greeted by an over-powering smell of cigarette smoke. We were told that our room would be on the third floor. We asked if there was a lift due to having two rather heavy suitcases. We were given a one word response - “No”. We asked if there was someone to assist us with getting the suitcases up the stairs. Again, the same response. We were then told that breakfast was between 7am and 10am and then asked what time we wanted it. When we said 9.30am the manager/receptionist noticably groaned and seemed irritated with our answer.

At breakfast we noticed they were out of knives and juice. When told about this the same manager/ receptionist said “If you want more juice, I need to go and buy it at shop.” We said that wouldn’t be a problem for us. Ten minutes later the juice arrived, but with no knives. My wife spread her toast with a spoon.

In summary, a woefully unsatisfactory experience.

• Stayed May 2010, travelled as a couple
2 Thank JohnBoris
Meistereck, Geschäftsführer at African Meistereck, responded to this review, 19 August 2010
Dear Sir or Madam

At first we would like to apologize for the inconveniences we have caused you.
If you smelled cigarette smoke at the Reception, we are sorry for that. We will ensure, that it never happen again.

In two star hotels is of course not always a lift. We are sorry for that.

Because of the breakfast, of course you are right. Even close to the end you should have knives and juice. We are sorry if they were out.

But please let us one thing mention too. That something went out close to the breakfast end, could happen. But instead to say "Sorry, but the juice is out", the lady went out and bought new juice just for you. That is something good isn't it?

After all you sayed nothing because of your room or the quality of breakfast. If you like you can contact us via E-mail to discuss that too.

Once again we are sorry and will do better next time.

We hope to welcome you again and prove that we can do better.

Best regards
Dennis Meistereck
Manager
Cape Town, South Africa
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 February 2009

Regrettably this hotel was dirty from top to bottom, the bed linen was still dirty from the previous guest ,and had NOT been changed.
I spoke with the owner and his mother who looks after the hotel, who both promised to change the bed linen and never did. with the comment we only change towels and bed linen every three days as I was told this is a Two Star Hotel albeit the charge was Euros 145 per night with NO break fast
The towels were forgotten one day there was none, another day the room was not cleaned nor the dirty bed made up.
The floor was dirty and was never cleaned, there was dust every where.
The TV was the smallest I ever saw in my life, and NO ENGLISH stations Forget the nonsense of using your computer, there was no phone in the room. There was no wardrobe and furniture was very minimal.
The shower had curtains which stopped 6" from the ground adnd the bathroom received minimal assistance in cleansing except for toilet paper.
As the sister hotel of Schweizer Hof, Nurnberg, where I was originally booked. They moved me to what was supposed to be a larger and more luxurious room. I was flabbergasted with the poor standards. No reception room. Forget about sound proofing I was wakened up by drunken guests who made the noise that only drunks can make until after Mid night.
When trying to book out after the first night, I was refused as I had paid in full to Hotel.com FOR 5 X NIGHTS which ended up being a nightmare . Dennis the owner refused to allow me to cancel the booking, when I spoke about the dirty towels and the fact one night there were NONE I was told "do you want me to listen to your complaints all night or do you want me to change the towels!!"
This rates amongst the poorest hotels in the world and certainly the dirtiest !!

• Liked — It was Central to all facilities
  • Disliked — Room was filthy as was the bed linen Dust and dirt everywhere including the floow which was filthy
  • Stayed February 2009, travelled on business