“Nice hotel - Staff unprofessional and unfriendly”

BEST WESTERN PREMIER Hotel Regensburg
Ranked #3 of 48 Hotels in Regensburg
Villingen-Schwenningen, Germany
“Nice hotel - Staff unprofessional and unfriendly”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 September 2012

I had a business meeting in Regensburg and since my favorite hotel - Courtyard Regensburg - was booked out I was searching for another chain hotel. The Best Western seemed to be a good choice based on the reviews.

The hotel itself is nice and modern - the beds are comfortable. However I had several problems with the attitute and work ethic of the staff there. Maybe it was the holiday shift or new members but I am a really experienced traveller and only rarely see such an unprofessional behaviour.

I would recommend the hotel exchanges the whole staff.

One night we wanted to have a snack at the hotel bar with some beer. After sitting there for around 20 minutes we asked at the reception for a waiter. But nobody showed up. So we inquired for another restaurant and actually were directed to a nice Italian restaurant just down the road. Great food, lovely atmoshphere and nice service.

The internet seems to only work until you need to restart your computer. Then you need to walk (they can't give you over the phone) to the reception and ask for a new code. The ticket system of the garage seems to be broken. I needed at least two tickets to be able to leave with my car. Not really convenient that you need to backup your car, park it again and run back to the reception.

The bar is in the middle of the hotel and the staff does not seem to care some people are sleeping above. So they cleaned the bar in the middle of the night very loud and woke up me and my business partner in the other room. So it seems to be not only me.

What I liked
- modern setup
- parking garage with quite large space
- huge bed
- fast internet
- Clean and quiet rooms (if nobody celebrates above you or makes other outstanding noises)
- Across the Autbahn exit

What I did not like
- Bar staff
- Reception staff
- Breakfast staff
- Noises in the middle of the night
- the football team renting the floor above us celebration until 4am in the morning
- Internet connection (not the speed)
- with measured 80cm x 1.8m the blankets are too small - especially in a 1.80m wide bed.

I probably would not stay there again. I will try to book the Courtyard early enough next time.

• Stayed September 2012, travelled on business
2 Thank teaki78089

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (18)
  • Czech first
  • Greek first
  • Polish first
Adelaide, Australia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 September 2012

Nice enough hotel but a bit far from the city so better if you are driving. The closest ATM was a good 5 minute walk and then wasn't working. There is not much nearby except a couple of supermarkets and one Italian bistro. No wifi to rooms so if you use a tablet or your phone you are relegated to the lobby, or as we saw a young sports team, all sitting untidily outside their rooms in the hall trying to get reception from the lobby below. Very inappropriate.
The breakfasts were very good and the selection of a few free drinks daily in your fridge was a nice bonus.

Room Tip: Obviously borking.com doesn't get the great rooms described by others here as we had quite a sma...
  • Stayed August 2012, travelled as a couple
Verona, Italy
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 August 2012

The hotel is excellent and the staff really nice. I was positevly surprised when i saw the room. The staff gave the suite at the same price of the double. My kids went in love with the hotel and now the ask the same one everywhere we go.

• Stayed August 2012, travelled with family
Durham, North Carolina
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 August 2012

Our flight arrived at 8 am in Munich and even with baggage claim and a 45 minute commute to Regensburg, it was barely 9:30 am when we approached the desk about our room. We were delighted to find that our room was vacant and clean. We were pleasantly surprised that the room was quite large with big windows and an uber modern sofa and chair in the sitting area beside the bed. Lots of storage for clothes (although not enough of those annoying, permanently attached hangers) and a desk and refrigerator. The first round of soft drinks and snacks was complimentary, another surprise.

My favorite? The generous double sinks and expansive vanity PLUS two hairdryers in the bathroom! It's a small thing but much appreciated in the morning. The gigantic soaker tub (for two, I suppose, given its odd shape) was a mystery since it wasn't quite part of the bathroom and not quite part of the living area. There was a flat screen mounted on a free standing wall so you could watch TV while you soaked (the wall also gave a hint of privacy to the rest of the room but not much).

Service was excellent but at the end of the third day of a six-day stay, we were surprised to get a note from the "welcome team" asking us to pay part of our bill because it was "getting high." HUH? It seems they don't like the bill to surpass 500 Euros without partial payment. Strange. Cautious. But they were so polite about it- didn't want to charge our AmEx with our permission. OK by us. Just strange.

The complimentary breakfast was a terrific start to each day - hot food, a wide variety of cold cuts and yogurt, fruit and cereal. Plus the ever popular pretzel rolls and other yummy breads.

Our only complaint was noise from the street (we had a first floor room - the second floor in US hotel terms) until I realized that the windows were open. After closing them the noise was muffled enough for sleep.

I know it's a punctual German thing but I appreciated the promptness of the taxi service. The front desk called for a taxi, told me it would be five minutes and by George, the cream-colored taxi wheeled in five minutes later. I've wasted too much time waiting for taxis even in New York, the taxi capital of the world. It was refreshing.

Room Tip: The back of the hotel is probably quieter than the front. Lots of traffic on busy street.
  • Stayed August 2012, travelled on business
1 Thank Linda R
Warsaw, Poland
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 July 2012

We were travelling all day so we highly appreciate comfortable spacious rooms with nice bathroom.
There are some complimentary soft drinks in the fridge. Moreover, close to the recepition you can prepare tea or coffee when bar is closed. Restaurant was closed when we arrived but there is nice italian restaruant quite close to the hotel opened longer.
B'fast is very tasty with nice selections of cold custs, vegetables, cheese, fruits and mueslis. Selection of pastry is not so nice as everything is large so if you would like something small to your coffee it may be a problem.
Hotel is located quite far from the city center so if you plan to make some tours you should use car or taxi.

Room Tip: There is construction in progress from one side so ask rooms with windows on different side as it is...
  • Stayed July 2012, travelled with family
Vicenza, Italy
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 July 2012

We stayed one night at the Best Western last weekend. After a too long road trip, we were happy that it was easy to find. We were put in a smoking room because we had a dog, though we're non smokers. The evening was cool, so we opened the window to clear out the limited stale smoke smell. That was good enough to clear the odor. Our well cleaned room, 321, looked over the lovely local church, but, with open windows and a location at the autobahn entrance, there was considerable traffic noise.

The room was spacious with large windows. The beds were typical German style with two "singles" that can be pushed together. Each mattress is firm with an individual duvet/comforter. The bathroom has a sliding glass door with a wide band of etching strategically placed across the center.

Though we had wanted to eat at the local biergarten, we decided to eat at the attached restaurant to avoid getting back in the car. There was a buffet, though when we arrived about 9 pm, there was little available and it had been sitting awhile. So we ordered the sommermenu which was OK, but nothing special. Surprisingly, our barlach soup was served warm, but available on the buffet piping hot. The main meal was nicely presented but a bit skimpy by German standards. Dessert was pretty and tasted OK. The meal filled our needs and was the location was great. The buffet, by the way, was replenished again after we'd ordered. Our dog was able to sit under our table at the restaurant rather than have her stuck in the room.

There was free wi-fi, but only available in the common area. That was quite disappointing! When tired, I don't want to sit downstairs to read my e-mail and do work. There is physical connectivity for a PC available.

Breakfast was a large buffet style with prepared scrambled eggs, bacon, wurst and weiss wurst. Unfortunately, the hot items were lukewarm. There was a good selection of breads and fruit. It was nice to have coffee thermal carafe on each table so you didn't have to wait for service.

I had trouble deciding between 3 or 4 stars, but decided on four because it's well maintained, quite clean, service is friendly and it has easy autobahn access. My expectations were probably too high because this is a "Premier" level Best Western. If I were visiting Regensburg as a tourist, I would stay much closer in, but for traveling or business, this is fine..

Room Tip: Rooms away from the main road are quieter.
  • Stayed July 2012, travelled with family
Bratislava, Slovakia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 July 2012

Little bit far from city center, but everything others was superb. Clean comfortable rooms, quiet area, nice staff.

• Stayed August 2011, travelled solo