The Kaiserhof Hotel
Ibis Regensburg City(Regensburg)(Great Value!)
US$101
US$146
US$141
Orbitz.com
  • Restaurant
Castle Hotel Regensburg(Regensburg)(Great Value!)
US$104
US$115
US$112
Orbitz.com
  • Breakfast included
All reviewsold townperfect locationhotel is locatedcathedralparkingeuros
Reviewed 3 April 2012

I chose his hotel merely for the location, and I was right. It directly faces the Dome Cathedral right in the centre of Old Town. My room was on the 5th (top) floor, and as you can see from the hotel photo, it's an attic room, so you have to alight the lift on the 4th floor and walk upstairs, which often happens in classic German hotels. The tilted ceiling makes the impression of the room rather claustrophobic too. Having said that, I really enjoyed viewing the Gothic towers from the window. It was almost like a surreal experience. Despite the location, the price was fairly reasonable. It would be even better though if they install free Wi-Fi in the guest rooms. The only trouble is that the front desk person was not always available. I enjoyed a morning walk shortly before check-out. When I got back, no one was there at the reception. I rang the bell several times and waited in the small quiet lobby for about ten minutes, but still nothing happened. I really had to catch an ICE train, so I had no choice but to "steal" my key behind the counter, hoping that no burglar alarm will go off. I felt as if I were a thief and in fact anyone with criminal intent could have trespass a room or two very easily. Having picked up my belongings, I got down to the front desk again. Still nobody was there. This time I had to settle my payment, so I went upstairs to the 1st (2nd in Amerikanisch) floor looking for someone in the kitchen next to the guest dining. I strongly felt that the hotel should hire just one more person to keep the gate, keys and the till. It would be also nice if they introduce the card key system like big multi-national hotel chains so that guests can enjoy morning walks more smoothly.

• Stayed: March 2012, travelled solo
1  Thank xapaga
Reviewed 21 January 2012

I am surprised that the Hotel Kaiserhof isn’t rated higher on Trip Advisor. We found almost nothing to complain about except the inadequate window covering but this was dealt with by my clever husband who rigged up a pretty good cover using an extra quilt, two caribena clips and some string. Aside from that we were quite impressed. Reception staff were helpful, the room was a good size and nice and clean, the breakfast was tasty and plentiful with good coffee and the location was perfect, directly across the road from the Dom (Cathedral), although the bells were loud on the first night but they were suitably muffled on subsequent nights by the extra window covering I’ve already mentioned. The restaurant directly below the hotel has really lovely food and great staff and right around the corner from the hotel is the first of many gorgeous Christmas shops with divine glass decorations and sweet little miniature things. If you are looking for a cheaper and better alternative to the Achat (which I had considered but decided was too expensive) this is it, especially as it is, in my opinion, much better located.

Room Tip: The rooms facing the DOM (Cathedral) have a better view but the bells may disturb you if you're a light sleeper.
  • Stayed: July 2011, travelled with family
1  Thank menicci
Reviewed 8 January 2012

We loved this hotel! The staff were so helpful, giving us maps, explaining the sites in Regensburg, even though this was our second trip. My husband and I selected 4 cities to visit in Germany and decided to re-visit this one. WE LOVE REGENSBURG!!! We will return again, and hopefully stay here. The breakfasts were marvelous and the room appeared to be a former chapel. The staff spoke many languages and were always very accommodating. Our room faced the Dom-how lucky can one get? Our room was very spacious, clean, and the bathroom was large!! Lots of room and light. We loved this hotel.

Room Tip: Ask for one facing the DOM if you don't mind the chimes in the morning.
  • Stayed: October 2011, travelled as a couple
1  Thank oldinnorthcarolina
Reviewed 8 September 2011

My wife and I stayed here for 11 nights in August 2011. The hotel is excellent, the staff friendly and helpful. The let me speak my unpolished German and answered me in German but were quite happy to speak English to guests who couldn't speak German. I think I experienced the quickest, most efficient check-in and check-out that I have ever experienced here. Our room (41), on the 4th floor (5th if you are American, I think), had a wonderful view of the cathedral. The breakfast room is a mediaeval vaulted hall on the first floor where you can enjoy the excellent buffet breakfast, typical German - cold meats, cheeses, bread, rolls, preserves, fruit, cereal, etc. I wouldn't think of staying anywhere else in Regensburg. One word of warning - the cathedral bells are rung at 6am every morning! It didn't bother me as I am an early riser, and what better way of being woken in an historic city.

• Stayed: August 2011, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Man_of_Kent2003
Reviewed 26 March 2010

Location is important to me and this hotel was right across the street from the Cathedral. Right in the middle of the old town, the hotel is near restaurants and the Danube River (called the Donau in Germany). Room and bathroom were quite small, but that is quite common in Europe. Hote was very clean, No complaints.

• Stayed: March 2010, travelled as a couple