“Good Food, Great Views”
Review of Hotel Eisenkrug

Hotel Eisenkrug
Ranked #8 of 12 Hotels in Dinkelsbuhl
Reviewed 7 May 2013

My husband and I ate at the Hotel Eisenkrug's restaurant last September while visiting family in Dinkelsbuehl. We felt like getting out of the house and enjoying a quiet meal together out in town. We sat outside and enjoyed good views of the Georgskirche and the square in front of the Schranne. The town was preparing for the Stadtfest and so there were little booths and cut saplings throughout the square as decorations. The Hotel Eisenkrug is centrally located in town, and we found both the food and service to be excellent. It was my second visit to the restaurant as we had eaten there previously in 2010 while on our honeymoon.

I enjoyed a nice Riesling and my husband had a weissbier, of which both were satisfactory. My husband ordered schnitzel with french fries, and I tried the haxenfleisch (knuckle meat) with red cabbage and kloss (potato dumpling). They were both excellent! The prices were reasonable, and the service from our waiter was prompt.

Room Tip: We did not stay at the hotel, only enjoyed the restaurant.
  • Stayed: September 2012, travelled as a couple
There are newer reviews for Hotel Eisenkrug

Reviewed 7 January 2013

My husband and I stayed in Dinkelsbuhl for 2 nights in December and used it as a base for exploring Rothenburg ob der Tauber and Nordligen and specifically to visit the various Christmas Markets. Dinkelsbuhl was our favourite town on the Romantic Road - it is less touristy than Rothenburg, but just as pretty. The Eisenkrug's location is excellent - right in the middle of the town and very close to the Christmas market venue. Our room was huge with a romantic four poster bed and the entire hotel is extremely atmospheric and cosy. The only negative thing that could be a bit of a problem (especially if you are a light sleeper) is that because of its excellent location, it was quite noisy at night and the church bells were a bit annoying (it starts ringing at 6:00 am!!). Other than that, I would seriously recommend spending some time in Dinkelsbuhl and staying at this hotel.

• Stayed: December 2012, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Ilzedewet
Reviewed 4 November 2012

After driving through the northern Gate of the town's wall, you will find the hotel in 160 mt. You may park for one hour on the street for free.Also, all night from 7pm to 8pm the parking is free.Out of the wall - within 250mt from the hotel - there is a free 24h open public parking. The hotel is a very old building with rooms respectfully renovated. We had a corner room on the 1st floor with nice view.The room was rather small but elegantly and well equipped."Trendy-Romantic".The bathroom was very good as well.
The staff: a young girl and a young man were helpful and polite.The breakfast had good quality food but not rich enough - compared to the German standards. We also dined in the small cosy,trendy restaurant under the same name for which I am commenting in the Restaurants section.
Double room 87euro + Breakfast 6.50x2
We were very happy to stay in this hi=otel

Room Tip: Room No. 2
  • Stayed: October 2012, travelled as a couple
2  Thank goumaki
Reviewed 16 October 2012

The hotel is located within the perimeter wall that surrounds the town, it was very nice to walk around at night & during the day. The room we had was very nice & was properly priced. The breakfast was a typical continental breakfast & their restaurant was very good & well priced. The only issue was that the parking was outside the wall but it was free & you had to walk to your car every day. You could drive in to drop your suitcases off so it wasn't to bad. We used this area as our base for driving & exploring the Romantic Road. Would recommend this hotel & we would stay here again.

• Stayed: September 2012, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 6 November 2009

Rooms are fine but service is poor, probably due to recent ownership change. Questions were met with either indifference or very short, unhelpful responses. Front desk was hardly ever staffed. If you like to feel like a guest in hotels, this is not the place for you.

• Stayed: October 2009, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 1 September 2008

Took a chance on the hotel, booking only a few days ahead whilst in Munich and we were very pleasantly surprised. It was well priced and the rooms very good. The family room on the top floor was 2 rooms with a bathroom in between. The double on the 2nd floor was lovely with old furniture and dark wood features with an crazy sloping roof. The bathroom worked well but the decor was bad 70s so could do with updating. The lift although small serviced all the rooms. Breakfast was average but the service was pleasant.
Very attractive building and the views of the town are lovely .A nice place to stay.
Some nice retaurants nearby particularly across the road. Cant remember the name but was modern decor with an outside terrace and bar area with excellent modern food (tiger prawns with black risotto-yum)

• Stayed: June 2008, travelled with family
    • Check-in / front desk
3  Thank OzfamilyAdelaide
Reviewed 26 August 2008

Usually, I choose the most reasonable accommodation in the destination, hence I chose this hotel.
To my surprise, it is very spacious, beautiful antique furniture and wonderful view from the room. Whole building is not new at all, but clean, hot water shower. Everything is maintained very well. I just loved it there.
I booked a single room but in fact, it was a double room, I might have been very lucky because I was provided the room. The view from the room is, I believe, the best among all the rooms in the hotel.
I think that breakfast is typical German one, nothing special.
This hotel also runs 2 restaurants in the hotel, one on ground level looks very popular. The table was full everyday for lunch.

When I arrived, it was lunch time, so all staffs were busy. I couldn't have warm welcome but I understand. oh, usually no one is standing at the reception....
Unfortunately, I had to pay in cash when check-out.

• Stayed: August 2008, travelled solo