“Great view from room”

Ranked #6 of 40 Hotels in Fussen
Charleston, South Carolina
“Great view from room”
Reviewed 5 November 2013

Hotel Christine was a great stay in Fussen! When we arrived we were greated by the owner who was very helpful in giving us maps, tips for what to see, and how to get downtown. Just be sure to be friendly with him and he will be friendly back. I feel we had the best room in the hotel- I think it was room number 6, but don't mark my work on that. The room had a very large balcony which was a great view of the mountains. (Ask for the room with the large balcony- actually where the sign for Hotel Chritine is written on the outside wall). My husband and I enjoyed our later afternoons drinking beer provided in the room on the balcony looking at the beautiful mountains. The hotel is a very short and easy walk to the downtown area- very safe at night. Personally I felt the rooms were simple, but they were clean. There was some noise that could be heard in the stairwell at night (people coming/going) but I am also a very light sleeper. Finally, the best part of the entire experience was the breakfast!!! We were in a rush due to our reservations with the castle but I wish we had more time to really enjoy the atmosphere and fantastic spread at breakfast! Make this a must!!!! Overall I would highly recommend Hotel Christine and would stay here again.

Room Tip: I believe the room we stayed in was number 6 but it was the one with the largest balcony...request t...
  • Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (37)
Fountain Hills, Arizona
Reviewed 18 October 2013

Perfect place to stay in Füssen. A small boutique hotel within a two minute drive or ten minute walk to the town center. The cleanest hotel we have ever stayed. The best breakfast we had during our two week Germany vacation. Kurt, the owner was a former chef and it shows. The table setting was impeccable and food was wonderful. He was so kind and accommodating. Definitely would stay here again!

Stayed October 2013, travelled with family
Whitford, Auckland
Reviewed 19 September 2013

I read the previous reviews, booked (we are foodies) and arrived not knowing what to expect. There have been several comments regarding the proprietor. Personally we found him helpful in his guidance for a recommended sightseeing drive (many thanks this was most enjoyed), helpful with the luggage and we felt he genuinely tried to oblige. Often mannerisms are different in another country and we tend to try to be accepting of this and the difficulties that arise from communication barriers.

Our room was lovely. Spotlessly clean with a view to the mountains and castle. The bed was comfortable and the plate of treats and welcome cocktail much appreciated after a wet day of travel. The parking area outside the hotels entrance is easy to access.

There have been a few comments regarding the walk to town. For anyone with a minimal amount of mobility and fitness this would not pose a problem. There is a sealed path with a small gradient only a few minutes away from the hotel. The walk itself would take around 10 minutes and put you at the bottom of the town.

Breakfast as anyone reading the previous reviews will be aware is excellent. We could not understand the awards/qualifications located on the breakfast room wall but assume the proprietor has extensive and impressive experience as a chef. The breakfast room is sunny with bright yellow accents (to brighten up a dismal day outside), there is not only fresh juice but another small fruit cocktail, good strong coffee, breads, fresh fruits, sweetened yoghurt, cold cuts and a hot dish (varied on both days of our stay). The breakfast was top class in both presentation and quality (one of the best we have experienced anywhere in the world). The lady in the breakfast room was very friendly and attentive.

Personally I would be more than happy to stay here again. The proprietor did his best to make our visit a pleasant experience. As with most hotels there are things you would like to see different for example it would have been helpful to have more information about the eating establishments locally. Having said that we found two restaurants (one just off the walking pavement - turn right at the first street off it and walk a few metres up - look for hotel on right, sorry I cannot recall name). The meal here was good and we were lucky enough to have a small dining room to ourselves. We did miss having the ability to make in room coffee and the shower was difficult as it had to be held due to no wall attachment higher up. These are small negative considerations that were well outbalanced by a wonderful view and a memorable breakfast.

If possible I suggest you take the proprietors advice and travel the 80 k route he indicates. It is a lovely drive that adds to the predictable crowded Fussen Castle tours.

Room Tip: We enjoyed our Mountain and castle view from our room. Had the weather been kinder the balcony woul...
  • Stayed September 2013, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Cheezel
Oxford, United Kingdom
Reviewed 10 September 2013

Having spent 40 years travelling round the world, thirty flying professionally on long range flights I can say that Hotel Christine is right there at the top.

A spotless hotel in a quiet setting with well furnished and comfortable rooms. The owner was more than affable and very helpful.

With no restaurant it is a short 10 minute walk to Fussen town centre and many restaurants to choose from. Likewise a short walk to the lakeside for a swim, very nice after a day's driving or sightseeing.

Hotel Christine is an ideal stop off to visit the Schloss Neuschwanstein and other centres in the area.

Finally a high note to end with, the breakfast has drawn many excellent reviews from others, they are all correct,

Room Tip: Rooms facing the front have the best view of the mountains and a certain Schloss.
  • Stayed September 2013, travelled as a couple
4 Thank mike k
Atlanta, Georgia
Reviewed 7 September 2013

Took my father on a trip to Germany and Austria in September, 2013 and it's been great, very helpful and accommodating staff at hotels and restaurants - this time, last time, same with my wife. But sooner or later in your travels abroad you'll run into an arrogant jerk. That is what we ran into at this hotel. I drove up with my father at 9pm on a Saturday night to this hotel. The owner (I can see him in a pic here, and read other not so good reviews about this guy - look at the terrible ratings), answered the door. I asked if my father could see a room (not one hotel anywhere we have been in Germany and Austria gave it a second thought - all of them gave us the key or personally showed us a room). The guys response: "It's a room". In other words, "I'm not showing you anything and WTH do you expect for 100 EUR". So we paid 129 EUR and stayed at Hotel Schlosskrone where we got a phenominal room, great breakfast and the same great service you'll find at 99% of hotels in the 100 EUR plus range anywhere. I did not stay at this hotel so keep that in mind with my review. Looks like other than the above guests are pretty happy. But I would be negligent to not point out a jerk when I see one running a hotel of all things. Also, this is the first time I've ever given a rating below "3" for any hotel anywhere.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled with family
4 Thank ATL-RES-2012
Sturgeon Falls, ON
Reviewed 11 August 2013

My wife and I have been travelling in Europe for 7 months. We have seen, and have experienced many unforgettable things (Cote d'Azur for sure). We visited Germany - and the Fussen area in July. The Alpine scenery is spectacular, and the Castles are well worth seeing. The hotel was a very pleasant surprise - an outstanding experience for us. The room was great. Airy, clean and very well appointed - with a balcony overlooking the forest.The individual duvets (on a queen size bed) were absolutely fantastic - so comfortable - and no fighting for the covers. But the breakfast had to be the crowning glory. A breakfast fit for a King - and beautifully presented. Fresh juices, fresh fruits, wonderfully prepare eggs, meats, croissants - I'm salivating just remembering. We recommend highly.

• Stayed July 2013, travelled as a couple
2 Thank MrPanther
Munich, Germany
Reviewed 28 July 2013

My friend/coworker stayed at Hotel Christine before heading to the castles on Saturday. Overall, the stay was awesome. Clean, roomy, and hospitality was great. I think the main tip is to roll with what the owner gives you. My friend and I are both relatively flexible, and were fine with the 10 minute walk to the hotel and the fact that it was an almost two person run B&B. We initially thought we had two double beds in one room, but it was a "king" with two mattresses. We couldn't complain since he gave us what felt like one of the better rooms - VERY spacious balcony with two chairs, a table... we compromised by having one of us sleep on the floor. Done.

Pros:
- Breakfast was delicious and presented well. The cereal coated chicken was delicious. And also, fruits, cheese and bread? Coffee too? It all tasted really good.
- Internet included!

Cons:
- We thought a "double bed" room would be two beds in one room... but it was two mattresses in one room.
- A little further from main part of town (residential area). Not a problem for us since we didn't have much luggage and we are relatively active.

Room Tip: We thought a "double bed" room would be two beds in one room... but it was two mattresses...
  • Stayed July 2013, travelled with friends