“Good food”

Cuisines: German
Good for: Local cuisine, Child-friendly, Romantic
Dining options: After-hours, Reservations
Reviewed 23 September 2013

This is a very popular restaurant- we had walked in at 6 pm and they were booked for the entire night on a Wednesday night- fortunately we were able to make reservations for the next night. The ambience is special- low lit, walls are busily decorated. Waitress was pleasant--I was a little concerned based on the reviews. There was ?perhaps the owner who seemed a little stressed maybe? Seemed to be quick to turn people away as if they were a bother... even when they already had reservations...may have just been a bad day for him?
Food was good...did not knock my socks off, but a solid meal. Side salad was fantastic.

Reviewed 3 September 2013

Our family of four ate here in June, 2013 and thought it was the best dinner we had in Rothenberg ODT. The outside seating was perfect on a Summer evening. We had a bit of a difficult time communicating with one of the waiters but a female waitress who understood what little German we spoke brought us English menus and we were set. The ribs our 11 year old daughter ordered were tender and delicious and a generous portion. The spaetzel our 14 year old daughter had was a huge portion of tender noodles in a very light sauce. She said it was the best she had on our 14 days in Germany. My wife and I both had weinerschnitzel. The serving was two large cutlets with french fries. The schnitzel could easily be cut with a fork and the light breading made it even more delicious. We should have ordered three meals for the four of us. The Alter Keller is in a quiet side street so it is easy to miss but it is a great break from the restaurants on the main streets as they can get quite busy. You can have a nice chat over a delicious beer and then enjoy a delightful meal with your companions.

Reviewed 26 July 2013

My wife and I ate here on the first night of our trip to Germany. When you walk into Alter Keller, you know you're in Germany. The walls are decorated with interesting tools, cooking/baking pans and the occasional stein. The beer and service was great. My wife and I enjoyed our food, however after completing our trip I realized that we could have done better than what we had at Alter. We had Weiner Schnitzel and Bratwurst, it's hard to go wrong, but I think we could have done a little better.

Reviewed 24 July 2013

We ate here on May 8, 2013 for dinner. Rothenburg was our last stop for the day while driving up the Romantic Road from Fussen to Frankfurt.

Cafe Alter Keller was one of two restaurants that looked promising according to tripadvisor. Immediately I noticed their outdoor seating was packed. That's a good thing since it usually indicates the place is at least decent. We chose to sit inside, there were a few other tables having dinner but they were only 1/4 full inside.

Other then the kitchen staff, there was one woman and 2 men working the tables. Our waitress was very friendly and offered suggestions on what to order. She wore traditional looking clothing which was kind of cool.

The food was actually quite good. It was one of the better tasting meals we had in Germany. The other really good dinner we had in Germany was in Munich(Seehaus in the Englishchner Garden), but that dinner was also more expensive then this one. Prior to this dinner we had a lot of Bavarian food; our waitress informed us their food was Franconian. This probably explains why we enjoyed this dinner so much since we were tired of Bavarian food.

The restaurant was clean and did not have any odd smells. The service was friendly and fast(fast for German standards). We found German dining service in general to be a much slower pace then other parts of the world. I'm not referring to the time it takes to dine. Many cultures take 1-3 hours for dinner. I'm referring to the time it takes the servers to come and take your order, to ask if there is anything needed such as more beverages in-between, and to bring the bill.

By the time we were done with dinner, it looked like they were starting to clean up for the night. A man brought our bill. He seemed to be the manager or owner. We used our BMW Visa since they didn't take Amex. When the man brought back the bill to sign, he started talking about BMWs. He commented that we were paying with a BMW credit card and said he had the same thing. Then he said he was a big fan of BMWs and he had a 3 series touring. Then he proceeded to show me pictures of his car, and pictures he took at BMW Welt and the BMW Museum. I told him that I was just there the previous week. It was really cool randomly run into a fellow BMW enthusiast. He told me what his dream BMW was. I kind of felt bad about telling him the reason I was in Europe was to do European Delivery on that same car; so I didn't say anything. Lol.

I would recommend this place if you're in the area. If you're a fellow BMW enthusiast you might have someone there to talk cars with.

1  Thank love2travel168
Reviewed 14 July 2013

a lovely restaurant whether you sit inside or outside. very tasty food and suitable for vegetarians as well. pasta with pesto was yummy. the menu in english took a side trip back to german half way through...but the service was great and the restaurant deserves praise.

1  Thank metayelet11