“A Bit Less Than I Expected”

AKZENT Hotel Schranne
Ranked #25 of 46 Hotels in Rothenburg
Valparaiso, IN
“A Bit Less Than I Expected”
Reviewed 7 July 2012

We stayed two nights at the Schranne on a two week tour of Germany. Upon arrival to Rothenburg we parked in lot number five and walked through the gate, pleased to find our hotel conveniently located just inside the wall. We were informed that there was free parking behind the hotel, and made our way there. We traveled with another couple, but my sister had made her reservations from the UK and mine were from the US, and we were booked in different sections of the hotel. They were very different!! Our room, on the side where the lobby is located, was roomier than theirs and had a much larger bathroom that included a tub and bidet. We were given the option to switch to their side, and opted to keep our larger room. Unfortunately, the room was not as clean as I’d expect. There was a large amount of hair on the bathroom floor, and a towel from the previous guests hanging on a hook behind the door to the room. I swept the hair into a fairly large pile to the corner of the room with a tissue, and left the tissue there. The next day, the tissue was gone, but the hair was still there—as was the towel behind the door. I know, I could have informed the front desk at that time, but I’m not entirely comfortable with getting someone into trouble—especially when they’ll have access to my personal belongings for another day. I did inform the desk upon checkout, and she seemed genuinely sorry and promised it would be fixed. Upon reading other reviews, it seems this is not a common occurrence, and it wouldn’t necessarily discourage me from staying here again. My sister was happy with the cleanliness of her room.

This was the most crowded of the hotels we stayed in, and many of the guests were teenagers whose school band was performing in the main square. It made for a lot of noise both outside and in the hallways, even late at night (not the hotel’s fault, of course). The biggest issue was the breakfast buffet. We arrived at 9:00 to find very little being offered—there were a large number of empty plates and baskets. I inquired about scrambled eggs and was told no more were coming—I indicated the time on my watch, and the woman shook her head at me. I indicated then at the empty bread basket, and a few minutes later she did bring another small stack of bread. Another few minutes later, we did also receive a plate of scrambled eggs, but I didn’t see that being offered to others who came in a bit later than we did. We saw some people with bacon, but that didn’t appear again on the buffet, nor was it offered to us. Other empty plates were not replenished either. The second day was significantly better, as the large group left early.

We did enjoy our general stay here—the staff was quite friendly, the vast majority spoke good English, the location was close to the city wall, and the free parking was a bonus. We didn’t eat at the restaurant except for breakfast, so can’t comment on that. If you are staying in other parts of Germany, check out my reviews of Hotel Grand Esplanade in Berlin, King’s Hotel City Center in Munich, Hirsch Hotel in Fussen, and Die Hershgasse in Heidelberg, as well as reviews on many sites and tours around those locations!

Room Tip: Ask for a room on the side where the lobby is located!
  • Stayed June 2012, travelled with friends

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (11)
  • Korean first
London
Reviewed 5 July 2012

We recently stayed two nights at Hotel Schranne and unfortunately it seems that we weren't there at the best time. The hotel seemed to mostly be occupied by a school band troupe who were performing in the central square of the town. This lead to much noise being heard outside and in the corridors in the evenings (which is obviously not the fault of the hotel) and to scant food being left in the morning at breakfast.

Even though we were told breakfast carried on until 10:00am and we arrived at 9:00am, there was very little food left. All of the eggs had gone, there was once slice of bread and most of the meat had been taken. Initially there didn't seem to be any indication that the food would be replenished, until we complained a bit and were eventually brought two plates of fresh scrambled eggs. This was appreciated, but unfortunately it did seem to be quite a reluctant gesture.

The room we stayed in was very basic - with two twin beds and a very small bathroom. To be honest, it was a bit reminiscent of student accommodation. My sister had a much bigger bathroom, which unfortunately wasn't too clean. Our room was clean and comfortable enough and the staff were friendy and attentive (although sometimes it was hard to get served a drink in the front of the hotel and we had to ask for the bill twice one evening).

However, all of that being said, the location of the hotel is outstanding (just a little bit outside of the main area, but close to everything) and there was parking available behind the hotel which was very convenient. The little bonus treat at check-out was lovely too - too bad I just couldn't acquire a taste for schneeballen.

• Stayed June 2012, travelled as a couple
Brisbane, Australia
Reviewed 30 May 2012

We stayed at this hotel for 2 nights and it was so lovely. We had breakfast and dinner there. The food was amazing, and the staff were so friendly and helpful. Nothing was too much trouble for them. The location is brilliant, it is so close to everything. We really enjoyed our stay and have wonderful memories of this place.

Room Tip: Any room would be great here it is so homely.
  • Stayed May 2012, travelled as a couple
Lingen, Germany
Reviewed 14 April 2012

The hotel is in a great location and very pleasant. Rooms are small, but comfortable. Price is very reasonable. And the breakfast, which is included, is a great spread and very tasty. Couldn't have asked for more.

• Stayed April 2012, travelled with friends
Reviewed 7 April 2012 via mobile

Most of the hotels were closed in March and we were pleased to find this one. It is right across from the parking area and has plenty of medieval charm. We had a small room for €65 that included breakfast.

Stayed March 2012
Omaha, Nebraska
Reviewed 27 March 2012

We were a group of 18 people. We arrived a bit before the official check-in time but the staff accommodated where they could and allowed others to store the luggage in the room while the staff was cleaning. Many of us stayed up late in the pub and the owner served us beers and sat with us and talked about her father and how he taught her the English song, "Show me the way to go home, I'm tired and I wanna go to bed . . .". We gave her a gift to show our appreciation that she stayed late just for us. In the morning, she had left a gift (a small Schneeball) for each of us. It was a very special stay for us. The rooms were of very good size, clean, and comfortable. The restaurant / pub was very nice and service was excellent. I have stayed here before and didn't hesitate to stay this time and will stay again. The location is a bit of a walk from the market square (and WeihnachtsMarkt) but it is quiet.

Room Tip: I liked the rooms that overlooked the parking area. They were quite large.
  • Stayed November 2011, travelled with family
Langley
Reviewed 26 December 2011

This is a great hotel just inside the walls of Rothenburg. I've stayed in several other places in Rothenburg but have been returning to Schrannne hotel for several years now for its simple, clean and comfortable rooms, friendly staff, and good meals. The breakfast is always ample, fresh and delicious, and I highly recommmend half board - dinner is prepared and served with care and the cook is flexible with vegetarian options. I think euro for euro this must be the best value in town.

• Stayed March 2011, travelled with friends