“Did the job for a night in Rothenburg”

AKZENT Hotel Schranne
Ranked #28 of 45 Hotels in Rothenburg
Reviewed 10 May 2013

Pretty much everyone knows that coming to Rothenburg really isn't the full experience unless you stay the night in the city. When my girlfriend and I arrived, that's exactly what we intended to do but it was more booked up than we had originally anticipated. We found the Schranne Hotel with rooms available and booked it.
It wasn't bad, just very average and didn't have a lot of character. The room was clean, though somewhat run down. Breakfast was decent, but nothing to write home about. There is one big feature that can be a pro or con. It's right next to a pretty large car park. This makes it convienent to get your bags in and out if you're driving, but also deminishes the atmosphere.
In short, it did its job and I'm not upset about the experience, but next time I go, I'll book ahead and stay someplace else.

• Stayed: April 2013, travelled as a couple

Reviewed 4 October 2012

I´ve stayed there for one night in september/12. The hotel location is nice. Although is not exactly in the city center, is beside the wall that circle this medieval city. Is a quiet place, with a bucolic view. The room I stayed, had a good size. The bath had a small curtain, so the bathroom was completely soaked after a shower. The restaurant in the hotel has a good food with honest price.
The hotel entrance is a little confusing. The signs indicated one door, but to go to the rooms you have to go to another. It was a good stay. The hotel is ok. However, perhaps if I return in Rothenburg again I will stay in other place.

• Stayed: September 2012, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 13 September 2012

We were very happy with our experience at this hotel. The room was typical European with a double bed and smallish bathroom. The room was clean with minimal amenities. The only real complaint was the lack of soundproofing, we could hear our neighbours getting ready for bed in the evening. Our room was a dormer on the 3rd floor with a great view of the city wall, and gate Thankfully they have a lift which is not the case with many of these old buildings.
It was an affordable stay inside the Old City. The free parking is a nice benefit. All the staff spoke some English. We eat dinner in the hotel and were pleased with generous portions of traditional German dishes at very reasonable prices. The breakfast buffet was good as well. Be aware that if you want AC they charge 10-15 euro extra per day.

• Stayed: September 2012, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 14 July 2012

Overview: The Akzent Hotel Gasthaus Schranne is a good choice for a hotel within the city walls, especially if you want the option of air conditioning in the summer. Parking is free, and breakfast was good. Wifi costs extra. My only issue was that the air conditioning unit suddenly decided to make noise, but I believe this was just bad luck and other travelers should not expect this.

Location: The hotel is located on the north side, just inside the city walls. The entire old city is easily walkable from this location. The area immediately around the hotel seemed quiet during my stay.

Room: I opted for a superior room with air conditioning. It was large, clean, and modern, with an excellent bathroom. The bed was very comfortable. The windows were on the front of the hotel, overlooking the public parking lot and city walls.

The option of air conditioning cost an extra 20 euros, but given that it was 87F (31C), it was worth it. I did not find any other hotel within the city walls that even had the option. The only problem was that the air conditioning unit (an otherwise extremely nice, quiet and new inverter type unit) began to make a high pitched noise around 4am. It had been running quietly all day, but a fan bearing probably went out at that time... just some bad luck. The temperature outside had dropped dramatically overnight, so I just turned the unit off. I was only staying one night, so I did not ask to get it fixed.

Facilities: Parking is free. There is a large public (pay) lot directly in front of the hotel, but a few spots are allocated (free) for the hotel, so make sure you park in the correct place. I believe there is also free parking available behind the hotel.

I did not have dinner at the restaurant, but breakfast was very good and included sparkling wine for mimosas. Wifi costs 6 Euros per device, and I did not opt for it.

Value: I found the hotel to be similar in price to other hotels within the city walls. The things that make the Schranne hotel stand out are the convenient free parking and the option of an air conditioned room.

Room Tip: If you are traveling in the summer, you have the option of booking a room with air conditioning.
  • Stayed: June 2012, travelled solo
Reviewed 7 July 2012

We stayed two nights at the Schranne on a two week tour of Germany. Upon arrival to Rothenburg we parked in lot number five and walked through the gate, pleased to find our hotel conveniently located just inside the wall. We were informed that there was free parking behind the hotel, and made our way there. We traveled with another couple, but my sister had made her reservations from the UK and mine were from the US, and we were booked in different sections of the hotel. They were very different!! Our room, on the side where the lobby is located, was roomier than theirs and had a much larger bathroom that included a tub and bidet. We were given the option to switch to their side, and opted to keep our larger room. Unfortunately, the room was not as clean as I’d expect. There was a large amount of hair on the bathroom floor, and a towel from the previous guests hanging on a hook behind the door to the room. I swept the hair into a fairly large pile to the corner of the room with a tissue, and left the tissue there. The next day, the tissue was gone, but the hair was still there—as was the towel behind the door. I know, I could have informed the front desk at that time, but I’m not entirely comfortable with getting someone into trouble—especially when they’ll have access to my personal belongings for another day. I did inform the desk upon checkout, and she seemed genuinely sorry and promised it would be fixed. Upon reading other reviews, it seems this is not a common occurrence, and it wouldn’t necessarily discourage me from staying here again. My sister was happy with the cleanliness of her room.

This was the most crowded of the hotels we stayed in, and many of the guests were teenagers whose school band was performing in the main square. It made for a lot of noise both outside and in the hallways, even late at night (not the hotel’s fault, of course). The biggest issue was the breakfast buffet. We arrived at 9:00 to find very little being offered—there were a large number of empty plates and baskets. I inquired about scrambled eggs and was told no more were coming—I indicated the time on my watch, and the woman shook her head at me. I indicated then at the empty bread basket, and a few minutes later she did bring another small stack of bread. Another few minutes later, we did also receive a plate of scrambled eggs, but I didn’t see that being offered to others who came in a bit later than we did. We saw some people with bacon, but that didn’t appear again on the buffet, nor was it offered to us. Other empty plates were not replenished either. The second day was significantly better, as the large group left early.

We did enjoy our general stay here—the staff was quite friendly, the vast majority spoke good English, the location was close to the city wall, and the free parking was a bonus. We didn’t eat at the restaurant except for breakfast, so can’t comment on that. If you are staying in other parts of Germany, check out my reviews of Hotel Grand Esplanade in Berlin, King’s Hotel City Center in Munich, Hirsch Hotel in Fussen, and Die Hershgasse in Heidelberg, as well as reviews on many sites and tours around those locations!

Room Tip: Ask for a room on the side where the lobby is located!
  • Stayed: June 2012, travelled with friends
Reviewed 5 July 2012

We recently stayed two nights at Hotel Schranne and unfortunately it seems that we weren't there at the best time. The hotel seemed to mostly be occupied by a school band troupe who were performing in the central square of the town. This lead to much noise being heard outside and in the corridors in the evenings (which is obviously not the fault of the hotel) and to scant food being left in the morning at breakfast.

Even though we were told breakfast carried on until 10:00am and we arrived at 9:00am, there was very little food left. All of the eggs had gone, there was once slice of bread and most of the meat had been taken. Initially there didn't seem to be any indication that the food would be replenished, until we complained a bit and were eventually brought two plates of fresh scrambled eggs. This was appreciated, but unfortunately it did seem to be quite a reluctant gesture.

The room we stayed in was very basic - with two twin beds and a very small bathroom. To be honest, it was a bit reminiscent of student accommodation. My sister had a much bigger bathroom, which unfortunately wasn't too clean. Our room was clean and comfortable enough and the staff were friendy and attentive (although sometimes it was hard to get served a drink in the front of the hotel and we had to ask for the bill twice one evening).

However, all of that being said, the location of the hotel is outstanding (just a little bit outside of the main area, but close to everything) and there was parking available behind the hotel which was very convenient. The little bonus treat at check-out was lovely too - too bad I just couldn't acquire a taste for schneeballen.

• Stayed: June 2012, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 30 May 2012

We stayed at this hotel for 2 nights and it was so lovely. We had breakfast and dinner there. The food was amazing, and the staff were so friendly and helpful. Nothing was too much trouble for them. The location is brilliant, it is so close to everything. We really enjoyed our stay and have wonderful memories of this place.

Room Tip: Any room would be great here it is so homely.
  • Stayed: May 2012, travelled as a couple