“Lovely Hotel, in a quiet setting.”
Review of Burghotel

Burghotel
Ranked #2 of 45 Hotels in Rothenburg
Wentworth Falls, Australia
“Lovely Hotel, in a quiet setting.”
Reviewed 29 June 2014

Our 3 night stay in May at the Burghotel, Rothenburg was relaxing, comfortable and most enjoyable. My husband and I were warmly greeted by one of the owners, a most charming gentleman. We instantly felt at home. Our room, number 15, was on the 2nd floor, spacious, immaculately clean, with a small lounge area and a lovely, comfortable four poster bed and the most beautiful view of the valley. The ensuite was modern, very clean with all that one needs provided. We really appreciated the tea making facility after a long days sightseeing.
Even though there is no lift in this Hotel luggage is not a problem, help is provided.
The breakfast room is a light filled room, nicely decorated, it too has the beautiful view of the valley far below. Breakfast has a good variety from which to choose, cereal, fruit and yogurt, cheese and cold meats, breads and croissants, fresh juice, tea and coffee. Eggs also offered, cooked to your preference. To enjoy the view and avoid the busy time, go to breakfast early!
The owners of this Hotel also own the hotel opposite, the Hotel Burg Garten Palais, where we enjoyed our evening meals on all three nights as the food and service were exemplary. The waiting staff were friendly and understood English, which is a big plus.
The Burghotel is built on the outer old wall of the town, it is in a very quiet area but it is also within an easy walk of the town square and the Castle garden beyond the outer wall. We arrived by car and had pre-booked a parking place belonging to the Hotel. Our GPS had no trouble directing us to the Hotel.
The owners take great pride in the cleanliness and charm of their establishments and it shows! My husband and I so enjoyed our stay we were reluctant to leave. We highly recommend this Hotel, we would definitely stay here again!

Room Tip: Room 15 is peaceful and spacious with a lovely 4 poster bed, and beautiful views of the valley below...
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (114)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
Moscow, Russia
Reviewed 27 June 2014

Even it was overnight stay I would like to outline the hospitality and cordiality of hotel owners and staff. Please be noticed that the hotel is in the historic building so it does not have A/C but it is clean and well-runed and it has many other little things which make the atmosphere.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Tangofan
Bogota, Colombia
Reviewed 25 June 2014

A couple of weeks ago my parents and I stayed here for two nights. The hotel is charming, the location is perfect, however they have a few things to work on, for example the room's temperature. We stayed in a room on the third floor (highest floor, below the attic) and due to the wonderful weather, we had horrible nights... The room gets VERY hot and there is no A/C or fans available. At night the temperatures goes down, but sleeping with the windows open (which helps with the temperature) implies getting up at 5:00 a.m. when the sun starts to rise.

The king size bed (2 twin size mattresses together) was comfortable, but the sofa bed was awful! I am 5'10 (1.78) and had to sleep on the bottom half of the bed because where it folds the mattress breaks and a huge grade separation occurs: the upper part of the bed is at least an inch higher than the bottom half of the bed.

The breakfast is OK - nothing fancy but good enough. The breakfast terrace is very nice.

On the pros: the view is unbeatable! We had an unobstructed view of the valley and the oldest part of town. The owner is very friendly and helpful. It is located on the outer wall of the city and just two blocks from the main square. And it definitely has a very charming feeling to it.

I have to say we had very unique weather during our stay (high 30's in june) which is very odd for this region, so our inconvenience with the temperature is not the hotel's reality, however, I had to share. If this was the usual I would not have given it a 4 star review, but a 3 star max.

However I will stay at the Herrnschloesschen next time I come to this beautiful town, it is just a couple of feet away from the Burg Hotel and it is much nicer... their prices are higher than those of the Burg, but they are a 4 star hotel, and opened recently.

New York City, New York
Reviewed 23 June 2014

My family and I recently had the pleasure of staying in the "small castle" at the Burg Hotel. It was such a great evening! This very old building on the wall of the city is decorated in an eclectic style which provides tremendous comfort and is aesthetically amazing. The staff of the hotel was so kind and helpful in every way. We had the pleasure of meeting the owner, who was a truly genteel gentleman. We ate across the street at the hotel's new restaurant and had a very excellent meal in the garden and were served by a delightful server who had lived in the states at one point. She was great! After dinner we returned to our suite and sipped wine by candlelight. We felt totally transported back to another era. Also, this particular suite has a very nice balcony from which one gets a terrific view of the countryside. If you travel to Rothenburg, do yourself a favor and stay at this truly special place. I just wish we'd have more time to enjoy it.

California
Reviewed 17 June 2014

This hotel is run by a great gentleman(who also runs the hotel across the street. The whole staff was helpful and the hotel is a wonderful little gem. The breakfasts were great, the terrace overlooking the Tauber was stunning, the location was perfect.
We stayed in a 3 bedroom apartment that also had its own garden. The furnishings(as opposed to the main hotel)were a little eccentric, but it was huge and very private.
Really was a treat all around.

Room Tip: Main hotel for atmosphere, but the apartment for space.
Houston, Texas
Reviewed 12 June 2014

Right inside the walls and easy to reach everything in town. A very nice little hotel. Staff was very helpful. Our room was beautiful. On the first floor and opened into a garden. You can sit out on the wall area and have a beautiful view of the valley! Large bathrooms. Rooms have a sitting area. No air.

Room Tip: Don't pay extra for the top floor rooms with a view. It's thru a window and no balcony. We...
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled with friends
Washington DC, District of Columbia
Reviewed 8 June 2014

I stayed at this hotel for a few nights. It has some positive attributes. Parking is free. There is a clerk on duty until late at night. It is away from the street noise in the main square. The room was large and well furnished with plenty of windows. But there was no A/C which raises the usual problem: open the windows and deal with the mosquitoes or shut the windows and deal with the heat. The computer for guests did not get the internet and I was told that I would have to wait for the owner to come in on Monday. The breakfast room is pretty but on one morning, it was simply overrun with guests -- it is too small to deal with full occupancy. Moreover, the hotel has decided that it would be a nice touch to make each person's juice fresh with the blender (so apple juice means apples ground up in the blender, orange juice ditto). But, there is no door on the kitchen and so there is this constant racket from the blender coming into the breakfast room. This is not a nice peaceful place to have breakfast. (I'd ditch the blender). And the outside area that some guest mention (on the wall) is not really available to guests except maybe during breakfast. I saw the owner when I left, but that was the only time I saw her; otherwise you deal with one clerk or another. In my experience, inns and b&b's really work when the owner has a hands-on attitude -- chatting up the guests at breakfast, checking on how things are going, solving the little problems that arise, and most importantly, taking joy in making their guests' visits enjoyable and productive. I saw no sign of this at this inn. Don't get me wrong: the burghotel is a perfectly fine place to stay, but it's nothing special (especially at these prices).

More generally, there is not much to do in Rothenburg. Scores of buses show up during the day, the tourists disembark, take thousands of pictures, then board the buses and away they go. The town mostly closes by 8pm. If you walk back to the hotel at 9pm, you feel alone. A tip: if you are stuck in this town for longer than you want or come on a rainy day then I suggest going to the city museum, which is right next door to the hotel burg. Its collection is as interesting as it is eclectic. I spent about 5 hours in there one day, and enjoyed every minute of it.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled as a couple