“Great Stay”

Hotel Goldener Hirsch
Ranked #12 of 45 Hotels in Rothenburg
Reviewed 14 July 2014 via mobile

I spent two nights there in July and it was a great experience. The hotel is in a good location and convenient to all the offerings of the city. You will have great view of the valley and city wall from your seat during breakfast. The room and bathroom was spacious in relation to european standards.

I would stay here again if my travels bring me back to the city.

Stayed: July 2014
There are newer reviews for Hotel Goldener Hirsch

Reviewed 16 June 2014

My friend and I stayed here for 2 nights in early June. We had a room with a priceless view of the valley. The front desk manager was quite helpful, taking our luggage to our room for us while I parked the car. He was also full of suggestions for things to see in town. Although the car park was a couple blocks away, it wasn't that much of a problem as we didn't need the car at all. The breakfast was good and fresh. The breakfast room also has a wonderful view of the valley. Plenty of shopping and restaurants close by. Room was large and very comfortable.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled with friends
Reviewed 13 June 2014

This hotel which is located within the Rothenburg city walls is like a museum. It’s pretty big with several public sitting rooms filled with old stuffed furniture, and it even has a billiard table (with broken cue sticks). The elevator is out of a 1930’s detective movie.

On the plus side, our room was huge, and it is one of the few hotels within the city walls which has its own parking. The parking is about a 100 meter walk from the hotel and it is easy to get there. It's also no problem to park right in front of the hotel with your car to load and unload luggage. WiFi costs a euro a day and was strong enough to justify the cost. Our main complaint was the height of the bath tub, which is where the shower was. The bathroom was modern and recently renovated, but the bath tub was apparently designed for very tall people. My wife is short and it was difficult for her to get in and out of the tub. I’m average height and it was high for me too.

The staff were all very helpful, and breakfast was adequate, although it was the weakest of the hotel breakfasts we had during this trip in Germany. (We stayed in 4 other hotels.) Breakfast did include good strong coffee and decoratively painted hard boiled eggs. Some had Japanese (or Chinese) symbols on them, apparently to entertain the many tour groups from those countries. The view from the breakfast room was stunning.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 9 June 2014

We travelled during the off-season (arrived in pouring rain) and were pleasantly surprised when we got a room on the wall (with the stunning view described by other reviewers) instead of the street side that we paid for. (They are essentially receiving a good review in return at no marginal cost to them, so they're clearly smart business people). The price is still commensurate with the location (~$200/night at current exchange rates).
The room was relatively small (cozy?), but about average for Germany and you're really paying for the location (2 minute walk to the square). The furnishings and bathroom fixtures were very nice, it looked like the room was renovated within the last 5 years. We especially appreciated the double sink (rare in Germany) and hair dryer. The only sub-par feature was the Wi-Fi, which was slow, but usable for web-browsing (at least for travel planning. It wouldn't be good for streaming media, but then again, you should be out enjoying the sights). Also, Wi-Fi was €1/device, which is cheap, but you definitely got what you paid for. I suspect in High Season, bandwidth is going to be a problem.
You pay extra for parking in a gravel lot that is about 2 minutes away on foot. It's cheap for the location and there is enough space in front of the hotel to park while checking in and dropping off your bags.
Breakfast is included, extensive selection and delicious. Fresh breads as is usual for Germany, spreads, cold cuts, cereals. I have to highlight the coffee. It's pretty much the best I've tasted anywhere. I'm usually an espresso guy, but this coffee was so good, I had four cups.
The other highlight of breakfast is that if you get there early enough to get a window table, you have the same spectacular view of the valley as you do from the expensive rooms. So if you've booked the cheap rooms, you can still have the view.
Overall, this was a very nice place to stay. It's expensive (but a good value for the location) and the staff speaks excellent English.

Room Tip: If you can't get (or afford) a room with the view, get there early for breakfast to get the same...
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 19 April 2014

What a great place to stay on my trip to Rothenburg. It's in a great location and the views are AMAZING!! I was blown away when I walked into my room and looked out the window. The room was comfortable and met my needs. I was hesitant after seeing some of the furnishings in photos on here but that adds to the charm of the hotel. I would definitely stay here again.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled solo
Reviewed 9 January 2014

Absolutely stunning hotel, meticulously designed to exude old world charm, with a perfect location on the edge of the wall, and walking distance to all the sites, many shops, and tons of places to eat. The Hotel Goldener Hirsch had everything we were looking for while traveling through Germany and then some; clean rooms, good rates, free breakfast, strong wi-fi, air conditioning, and a car park. The only issue was with the service, especially our check-in experience. We had to ask for every single thing. A good hotel has the services, a great hotel will offer up what those services are without asking, provide a pamphlet or written document on how to use the services, and help you in such a way to ensure you enjoy both the stay at the hotel and in their city. This, unfortunately, did not happen, but don't let that stop you from booking this hotel. Read further to know what questions to ask and some of the answers.

Is there wi-fi? Yes, there is wifi and it is quite strong. It is 1 euro per day/per code. You need one code per device.

Where is the parking? The Parking is in a lot on a block adjacent to the hotel. You can park your car at 10 Weingasse. It is 6 euro per night.

How do I get into the building after hours? If you plan on being out late, leave your (big, heavy key) with us and we will give you an outside door key to get into the building.

Why doesn't my air-conditioner work? It's 83 degrees and the room is steamy: Oh, you want your air-conditioner turned on? We control that down at the front desk, we'll turn that on for you.

Where is the best place to watch the Imperial City Festival Fireworks/Rothenburg en Flammen? Glad you asked, right from your valley view room, you have the best seat in the city.

Can I have fresh eggs? Yes.

We booked two rooms at the Hotel Goldener Hirsch; a valley view double and a single. We requested the single to be close to our double if possible and were lucky to be across the hall from each other. The single was on the inside of the hotel (I believe it was room 117). It was a small but nice room, with a very large bathroom. Room 116, the Valley View room, was very large for European standards, with a smaller bathroom, and double vanity. The highlight of 116 is the outdoor deck overlooking the city walls and the valley. It was the perfect place to watch the fireworks and I would stay there again just to enjoy the Rothenburg Imperial Fest in September.

Nice for those booking multiple rooms: The room phone is actually a cell phone. If you are traveling without a cell phone it is a nice option to split for the day and still be able to reach each other through the hotel provided cell phone.

One other note: the city walls were closed until 6pm the day we arrived for the festival (and on the next night, were closed until 10pm. We were stuck in our car outside the wall for a few hours, unable to find parking. Had we had any heads up from the hotel prior to our arrival, we would have either come earlier or spent more time in another city before arriving in Rothenburg. Again, this is the difference between good service and great service, and I would recommend in the future the management email guests checking in on days when the walls are closed of the issue.

Room Tip: Valley View Room 116 has a huge deck overlooking the city walls and the valley.
  • Stayed: September 2013, travelled with friends
4  Thank vagablondechelle
Reviewed 6 January 2014

We stayed one night during the Christmas Market and fell in love with this town and Hotel. When we return to Rothenburg we will definitely stay at the Hirsch. The hotel is in the Old Town and is centrally located. Our Room and Bath were extremely large but very affordable at just 99 Euro for a double with street view. The old style of this hotel is very charming and warm.

Room Tip: Ask for a street view room, they are very sunny and bright during the day, and at night the tourist...
  • Stayed: December 2013, travelled as a couple