“Relaxing Stay”

Mittermeier Restaurant & Hotel
Ranked #12 of 45 Hotels in Rothenburg
Reviewed 24 June 2014

My husband and I stayed here last weekend. The hotel was very nice and it was a good hotel to come back to after sightseeing around Rothenburg. The only weird thing was how the shower did not have any privacy from the rest of the bedroom (at least in the room we were in), so if you are staying here with somebody who is not your significant other... awkward. We found easy public parking across the street (big lot there) for 5 euro per full day.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
There are newer reviews for Mittermeier Restaurant & Hotel

Reviewed 22 May 2014

My husband and I live in London and my mum-in-law lives in Australia. Having moved to the UK in May 2013, we hadn't seen our mum for over 6 months so were pretty excited about a family trip around Europe.

Between the three of us we spent months organising the trip; reviewing accommodation, setting dates, deciding on which destinations, and booking transport. A lot of time and effort went into making this month long trip the most special it could be.

Given that we are all originally from the UK and had been living in Aus for many years, we were all pining for a 'proper Christmas'. The kind with carols, snow, logs of the fire with lashing of christmas pud and custard. So when it came to deciding exactly where we'd be for Christmas Eve, Christmas Day and Boxing Day we did not take our decision lightly.

Being such a fan of airbnb - both hosts and hostee's - we were tempted to rent an apartment in our chosen destination, the chocolate box Rothenburg, Bavaria… however, given that we were all so keen on experiencing that Christmas cheer, option to meet new people and drink wine buy an open fire - we decided on a quintessential Bavarian Hotel.

My mum-in-law found the delightful Hotel Villa Mittermeier and from the website, looked to be perfect. Nicely decorated bedrooms, cosy communal areas, lovely large breakfast/dining room and right next to the old city wall. Perfect. So, through a number of emails and explaining to the hotel staff what we were after - a hotel atmosphere where we could share a laugh, a drink or two and be in the real Christmas spirit - we booked a few nights.

Day #1 - 23 Dec
Upon arrival we were happy, the lobby/lounge area was warm and had a log fire crackling however, when we reached our rooms, the first disappointment came. My mum's room was the size of a match box with a bed pushed up against the wall, there was no kettle - only a coffee machine (that didn't work). Our room was freezing, the walls were damp/mouldy and the wallpaper was peeling off. I reported to the staff 3 times over the first couple of days that our heating wasn't working and only on the third time did they look at it/fix it.

But, we were in good spirits and took everything in our stride. It was Christmas after all and we were pretty excited to be in Rothenburg.

Day #2 - Christmas Eve
After a pleasant breakfast with plenty of choice and friendly kitchen/waiting staff we decided to head out to see the beautiful town and take in the history. We asked to leave our keys at reception but were told that we either had to take them with us (baring in mind they had huge key rings on them) or be back by 3pm as the hotel was closing.

The hotel closing basically meant just that. From 3pm we were literally banished to our cold bedrooms with no drinks making facilities as the whole hotel was locked up. We had to use the back door and were not allowed to sit in the communal areas, the dining room, the lounge as the doors were locked.

This came as a surprise and disappointment but again, we took it in our stride as we fully understood that German's celebrate their Christmas on Christmas Eve. So, we wished them well and went out for the day and night.

Day #3 - Christmas Day
Our day of celebration. Another great breakfast with a lovely selection of food and friendly waiting staff we began our day. A comment we'd like to add is that it would have been a nice gesture to perhaps play some Christmas carols, or music, or perhaps give a token Christmas gift to the few guests as they came for breakfast - perhaps a german biscuit or something… it felt like any other day to us.

Once again we got ourselves ready, left our keys at the reception desk (as no one was there) and headed out to explore beyond the city walls. Just as we got outside one of the staff chased after us delivering our keys. He told us that the hotel was closing again in a couple of hours and again we would be expected to use the back door and be banished to sitting in our bedrooms - on Christmas Day?!

We'd had enough at that point, we told him that we weren't happy and that they simply cannot close on Christmas day if you have guests wishing to spend their Christmas with you. We made it clear that we would be complaining to the Manager and left for the day.

Day 4 - Boxing Day
An early start for us and a final breakfast which ended up being the best thing about the hotel. We took our bags to reception and asked to speak to the Manager. We had listed the faults/issues with the hotel on a piece of A4 paper and wanted to take the Manager through them but were told that the Manager was unavailable.

Explaining the situation to the staff on duty was a complete waste of time, she wouldn't hear our side of things and when I asked if she would be ok with the hotel being closed down if she had booked it for a family Christmas her response was a rude one - I don't stay in hotels over Christmas.

Basically, to sum it all up. The issue lies with complete lack of communication and then after care or as I know it, basic customer service. Not at any point during our correspondence with the hotel at the time of booking did they inform us that the hotel would be closing over Christmas.

The staff didn't seem to care that we had paid a lot of money to stay at the hotel, wanting hotel facilities when they claimed to have left a sign at reception saying 'reception will be closed on Christmas Even & Christmas Day'… It wasn't the reception, it was every room apart from the bedrooms. And who wants to know that piece of information once they have booked their trip and arrived thinking that they would have an enjoyable festive stay there?

Another great response from the staff on duty as we department, I mentioned the cold bedroom, mouldy walls and peeling wallpaper was 'that room still needs to be decorated'. Oh great, thats fine then… put us in a grotty room, close the hotel, provide no customer service during our stay and charge the full rate.

My mum and I refused to pay the full rate until we were given a chance to talk through our concerns with the Manager and as the Manager wasn't available, we decided to pay half in cash and a remaining amount once the Manager had contacted us… I gave my credit card details in good faith so that the staff were assured that we were honest people not trying to scam a cheap stay. We agreed that the Manager would contact us and we'd go from there, and only pay remaining amount once agreed. Both the staff on duty and I signed the list of complaints and we shook on it.

A day or two later upon checking my credit card statement, the hotel had gone ahead and charged the full amount without contacting us or without my authorisation. I call that fraud.

This hotel has the potential to be great, it's a nice hotel in a great location… I think that the staff are pleasant enough but the major thing that lets this hotel down is the management. The management obviously don't empower the staff to handle situations of this nature, and I find them to be incredibly dishonest.

No where on the website did it state that the hotel would close. Had we been informed of this, we would have booked a hotel that was going to be open - some where that would provide us with the Christmas warmth and cheer we so dearly missed out.

If it wasn't for the beautiful town of Rothenburg and the fab meal we had on Christmas Eve at another hotel, Villa Mittermeier would have spoilt our Christmas.

I wouldn't recommend staying here. It's not worth the money.

Room Tip: Ask for a newly refurbished room
  • Stayed: December 2013, travelled with family
4  Thank Laura R
Reviewed 21 May 2014 via mobile

This is a beautiful small hotel with fantastic service and excellent location. Very friendly staff and lots of extra nice touches like the well-stocked Nespresso maker in the room and the complimentary chilled sparkling water. Definitely make sure to add breakfast for the additional ten euros. Lovely selection of high quality meats, cheeses and naked goods. The room we were in was a bit small but we expected this. Highly recommended.

• Stayed: May 2014
Reviewed 16 May 2014

The location just outside of the gate to the old town made for an easy walk (and room to park your car!). Building was nicely furnished and decorated, and the front desk staff very professional and inviting (Natasha was wonderful to us). Had a problem with one of the windows (bowed, so it didn't close on one corner) which was tended to and mended by the time we returned. Breakfast was delicious, though the lady during the weekdays was infinitely more hospitable and warm than the weekend staff. No real complaints - I notice that some of the other reviewers think the rooms are small, but I thought they were just fine by European standards.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 2 May 2014

We wanted to try something different a bit lighter than the copious traditional German cuisine. The cadre was pleasant, well-appointed with good quality furnishings.
The waitress was very good, friendly, helpful and knowledgeable. She was serving all the tables that evening not sure if that is always the case as it was over the Easter period fortunately the restaurant wasn’t particularly busy.
The food looked good, but the flavours and cooking isn’t quite there yet. Parts of the meal were either under/overcooked not seasoned correctly and the textures were a bit strange. This could have been a bad day for the chef as there is definitely potential there.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Ian S
Reviewed 11 April 2014

We stayed at Mittermeier for 4 nights and really enjoyed the experience. The hotel itself is adorable with lovely rooms. Our room was spacious and looked out over the Main Street and just across the street from one of the main entrances to the walled town of Rothenburg. I have to mention that the shower was great with a heavy rain shower effect.
Natasha was the person managing the desk when we checked in. She was great! She brought us up to our room & made sure we were happy with everything. We had some special requests that she made sure we were satisfied. She provided suggestions and assisted with any questions we had. During the morning hours Caroline managed the check in desk and she was great too. I had asked about Munich & she provided a detailed map and points of interest to visit. The service was so pleasant and friendly. The service was first class.
I would also suggest if you stay take advantage of the breakfast. We did for four mornings and everyday was delicious. I did not catch the name of the lady who managed the breakfast crowd, but she was full of life. Very energetic and accommodating. Have the eggs, any style, these were great! The eggs are cooked to order and there is an amazing buffet selection. So good I did not eat lunch once the four days we were there.
I absolutely recommend this hotel. You feel at home while being pampered!

Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Dawn B
Reviewed 3 January 2014

But the room was so small, that the bed was against the wall on my side. I know, it was probably bigger when the bath was down the hall back in the 1800's..... Not the bath is quite nice, but there's not a lot left of the room. Oh well, enjoy the town and sleep away. The staff of the hotel is excellent, parking is convenient and free, and they have one of those Nespresso machines that makes a great cup of room coffee. Excellent breakfast included, and very convenient to the city entrance.

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled as a couple