“Ate here, didn't sleep here”

Roter Hahn Rothenburg
Ranked #41 of 45 Hotels in Rothenburg
Reviewed 27 October 2013

This hotel is located within the walled portion of Rothenburg. We ATE here but did not STAY here. Our lunch was excellent and reasonably priced. The restaurant was pleasantly appointed and clean. There was outdoor seating, as well. I cannot tell you anything of the hotel rooms but can say I observed no obvious parking which means a "bag drag" to/from the hotel.

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled with friends
1  Thank Col_Tomb

Reviewed 2 October 2013

We were brought here by our cousin, who is well acquainted with this restaurant and appreciates the good food that they offer.
We had a nice selection of local fare to share and all of it was simply wonderful! I would highly recommend going here for lunch or for dinner while in Rothenburg ob der Tauber. Marvelous! The decor is very old world charm and the staff was so kind. Very much appreciated resting our feet and enjoying wonderful food and drink here during the middle of our busy day in Rothenburg ob der Tauber. Highly recommend!

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 15 July 2013

Our day in Rothenburg was met with plenty of rain. We opted to have a traditional German lunch and chose Roter Hahn on impulse. Although business was very slow this day we were greeted with a welcome smile in this lovely establishment. Our meal was very good service outstanding and we will add Roter Hahn to our list of places to stay when in Germany again.

• Stayed: June 2013, travelled with family
Reviewed 9 July 2013

The Hotel was good value and it's location in the center of Regensburg was great. Two notes on this Hotel, first , the elevator only goes to the 2nd floor, secondly the room I was given did not have a real shower (there was a shower head, but you could not stand up in the bath tub to use it), they did move me to a different room without any fuss. Because it is in the center of town, if you leave the window open, it can be noisy in the evening.

Stayed here in summer 2013.

• Stayed: June 2013, travelled with friends
Reviewed 23 August 2012

Hotel is clean, comfortable and centrally located. The room we stayed in was fine and about average for the money. The decor may not be super modern but it was okay for the cost of the room and by local standards. Breakfast was bread, cheese and meat etc. Again it was okay but nothing outstanding. Pleasantly parking was free and we appreciated not having an extra charge as we'd come to expect from most places we'd stayed in the region. The best thing about this hotel was the central location, right in the middle of town.

• Stayed: August 2012, travelled with friends
1  Thank wre3
Reviewed 4 August 2012

We enjoyed our stay at the Roter Hahn. The hotel itself was pretty dated (pretty typical of a medieval town :-)) but was also very clean. We ended up having to get 2 rooms for the 5 of us, which was fine. They were pretty close to each other. The staff were very friendly. We had a nice dinner in the restaurant but just grabbed breakfast from one of the many bakery shops nearby. The location was great! It was right in the center of the town. We parked outside the city walls and had a short walk in. Driving inside the walls looked crazy!

• Stayed: July 2012, travelled with family
Reviewed 13 June 2012

I was in town for the Master Draught Festival. I love this town and the festival was quite an experience. Roter Hahn is absolutely in the best location possible and at a reasonable price too. They have nearby parking, which is a tough thing to come by. Everyone there is pleasant. The room is clean. It is a reasonable size and includes free WiFi. Their outdoor cafe/restaurant is fantastic and goes right out on to the main thoroughfare. The building itself is quintessential Rothenburg. I really wish I could give it a better review, but . . . My room had the smallest bathroom I've ever experienced in a hotel. It was literally like an RV bathroom with very little water pressure in the shower. The sink was outside the bathroom in the main living space while the toilet and shower were inside what I can only describe as a closet. I got one of the few rooms left due to the festival so perhaps I got one of their less desirable rooms. I have no idea if other rooms are like this, but honestly it was it's only drawback. The place is so great otherwise.

Room Tip: My advice is to check on the bathroom situation and if it all checks out (or you don't mind a wi...