“Great location”
Review of Pension Elke

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Rothenburg
Pension Elke
Ranked #5 of 35 Rothenburg B&B and Inns
California
“Great location”
Reviewed 22 July 2014

This B&B was in a great location, easy walk from the train station and just a block from the main square of Rothenburg. Our room had an ensuite bathroom and was very clean and roomy. Also was priced reasonably. Breakfast was the best of all the places we stayed during our 3 week trip to Austria, Germany and Italy. Lots of fruit, choices of granola, eggs, bread from the local bakery (their speciality) and sweet rolls. The breakfast room is on the top floor and is very charming. Just be aware that you will have to climb stairs to get to your room and the breakfast room. When we made our reservations, the owner said he did not speak very good English but when we arrived, we had no trouble communicating and he, his wife, and his father were very friendly and welcoming although they are very busy running their grocery store which is located on the bottom floor of the B&B. The town is very charming. Do not miss walking the ramparts (easy to do), going to the park at the end of the old town (great photo ops) and taking the Night Watchman's Tour. I thought it might be hokey but I thoroughly enjoyed it and thought it was well worth the money. There is a bakery about a block towards the square from the B&B (sorry don't remember the name) that has wonderful breads and pastries and if you get there before 6 p.m. has wonderful soup and salads.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank irishlass2007

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (13)
  • Korean first
Walnut, Iowa
Reviewed 27 June 2014

This is a great place to stay! Rooms were very clean. The staff is all very welcoming and hospitable. The bathroom is across the hall and shared with other guests, which was fine just not ideal. The breakfast was excellent! Rothenburg is a small town within the wall, so it was close to everything.

• Stayed July 2013, travelled as a couple
Washington DC, District of Columbia
Reviewed 5 June 2014

I chose this hotel based on a Rick Steves recommendation and I was not disappointed. The hotel was centrally located a few steps from the town square where the Christmas market was located. The older gentleman, Erich insisted on carrying my very heavy bag up the stairs upon arrival. I tried to carry it but he insisted. I was afraid he would not be able to carry it and would lose his step, but he is tough and hardy for his age. The gesture was very much appreciated.

The room was small, cozy, and most importantly, clean. This is not luxury accommodations, but I found it absolutely charming and adorable. The mattresses were thin but did the job. I was so exhausted at the end of the day that I'd pass out anyway. On the subject of mattresses, I checked it upon arrival (I do a mattress check at every hotel I stay in) and everything looked new and very clean.

I did share a bathroom located down the hall, which I never had to wait to use. The bathroom had a very good-working radiator that kept you cozy while you showered. Surprisingly enough the bathroom is tiled, so good heat in the cold winter months is appreciated. The water pressure and water temperature were fantastic. A nice hot shower was heaven after a long, cold, dreary day of sightseeing. The bathrooms were a little out-of-date but spotless. This did not bother me at all and added to the charm of the place.

The breakfast room was absolutely adorable. It was charmingly decorated with a Christmas tree so the room had a very festive feel to it. I was sad to have missed breakfast on my second morning since I overslept because of a cold. This was hands down the most charming breakfast room I have ever experienced on my travels. It was truly storybook with a great view of the medieval town walls.

I highly recommend this charming B & B to anyone who is staying in Rotherburg. I value charm, cleanliness, and value more than luxury on my travels. This place was perfect for the price.

• Stayed December 2013, travelled solo
Houston, Texas
Reviewed 3 June 2014

We originally booked two nights at the Pension Elke, but we had such a lovely stay, we extended our stay by one night. Rothenburg ob der Tauber was so charming we couldn't resist staying an extra day and we will definitely come back again. Pension Elke was very clean, bright, had a perfect location, and Klaus and his family were incredibly hospitable. Breakfast was delicious and we enjoyed dining in the upstairs venue. We were traveling with 4 adults and 2 small children and we were able to have a two bedroom room that was very comfortable for all of us. We will definitely be back again and will be staying there once more. Thank you!!

Room Tip: Our room faced the front of the main st. and it wasn't loud at all. Everything was just perfect!
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled with family
Seattle
Reviewed 2 June 2014

This hotel is located in an amazing location - so wonderful that it is in featured in postcards of the street - we accidentally found this out while sending postcards home! The owners were so helpful, even helping us carry our luggage up to the rooms, providing directions to parking, etc. We had two rooms for two couples - one large and one smaller. Both were clean and fine for a night. If we had been there longer than one night, the small room would have been too small for us, so I would suggest indicating a larger room if you are staying longer. The breakfast, which is included in the rate, is wonderful, with a giant selection of quality food, and is held in a charming room in the attic of the hotel. We would stay again.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
indianapolis
Reviewed 9 May 2014

We are now leaving after spending 4 nights at Pension Elke. Klaus and his father Erich we wonderful and so helpful. Our room was great and breakfast was delicious. We couldn't have asked for a better place at a great rate . If you need recommendations for dinner ask Klaus, 3 out of e 4 nights we went where he told us and the food was outstanding every time. Highly recommend Pension Elke

• Stayed May 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank queenie75
Frankfurt, Germany
Reviewed 23 April 2014

We were sent here after our hotel was overbooked and didn't have the decency to cancel our reservation. It's OK here for one night, note:
1. no soap
2. building is old so the windows are old and you can hear the noise from the streets below - drunken people shouting in the middle of the night, cars/trucks driving thru early in the morning
3. it stank in the room when we arrived, they had sprayed some awful smelling room refreshener

But: