“Best breakfast in Europe”

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Wurzburg
Hotel Dortmunder Hof Garni
Ranked #19 of 46 Hotels in Wurzburg
Fullerton, CA
“Best breakfast in Europe”
Reviewed 1 July 2014

Our second stay at Dortmunder Hof. Rooms clean & very comfortable. Friendly staff. What really brought us back, though, is the fabulous breakfast in the lovely wine bar/breakfast room downstairs. A full pot of coffee on the table, hot chocolate in a pitcher for the kids, and delicious buffet of meats, cheese, breads, salads, cakes, cereal & muesli, yogurt, fruit & much more, plus a many different homemade jams. Will definitely be back!

• Stayed June 2014

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (5)
Tampa
Reviewed 1 June 2014

After traveling for20 plus hours from Tampa to Wurzburg, we finally found our way to the hotel after about a 10 minute walk from the rail station. As we were walking up the drive, we were greeted by the manager in the street by our names, even though he had never met us. Amazing. Then he helped us with our bags to our room and never once asked for our credit card. Even though the room was rather small, it was enough for us. We went down stairs to find our bearings and the manager asked us if we wanted something to drink. We asked for a beer and a wine, which were quickly brought to us as well as all the information on what was happening in the city. We were quickly impressed by his willingness to help. After finishing our refreshments, we asked for the check and he told us to forget it. It was his welcome to Germany gift. The hotel has a lift, a great breakfast , is ion a very good location, but is a bit loud on Saturday nights.

Room Tip: Dine in the restaurant as well. You will not be disappointed
  • Stayed September 2013, travelled on business
Singapore, Singapore
Reviewed 27 May 2014

I stayed one night here and wished I could have stayed for longer. I was able to walk from the train station (while pulling a large suitcase) in about 15 minutes. My room was quite small and basic, but very clean and cozy. It even reminded me a bit of my old student accommodation (in a good way!) Having just arrived from tropical weather, I initially felt that the room was a bit cold for my liking. However, the hosts kindly had a heater brought to my room immediately after I mentioned it.

The hosts were very friendly and hospitable. They even managed to accommodate me for a quick dinner in their popular restaurant in the lobby, although almost all the tables had been reserved. The continental breakfast in the morning was lovely and very filling. I felt that this hotel was really charming and was excellent value - I highly recommend it and I look forward to returning.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled solo
1 Thank linalia
Bucharest, Romania
Reviewed 13 May 2014

I stayed six nights in this hotel. It is located above a small pub/bar/restaurant on a quiet side street in the center of town. Wifi only works in the restaurant downstairs and in rooms on the first floor, so if internet access is important to you, request a room on the first floor. My room was small, but en suite, with a double bed, tiny wardrobe, tiny TV, and small desk overlooking to one window. Decent sized bathroom en suite. Shampoo/conditioner was a wall dispenser, so I used my own. Liquid hand soap provided. There wasn't a hair dryer in the room, but one is available upon request.

Breakfast is 7.50 Euro extra per day, served from 7-10 am in the restaurant downstairs. Standard German fair of good quality - cereal, fruit, meat, cheese, pastries, milk, juice, tea, coffee. Staff considerate and all spoke English. There is an elevator to access the rooms. Though I was on the first floor, the room was quiet. I didn't hear anything from the restaurant below. Monday morning seemed to be garbage pick up or something and was quite loud from 7 am on, but I did have the window open. One small complaint from the final two nights when there were guests in the room next to mine. The walls must be pretty thin because I could hear loud snoring as clear as day - and even the wife's attempts to shush him!

The hotel is located just a few minutes walk from a main shopping street which has a coffee shop, organic grocery store, Muller drugstore, bookstore called Hugendubel (including several shelves of English-language books), major department store, and other clothing stores like H&M. Also walking distance to old bridge and river (tourist sights). Few minutes walk to tram and bus connections. Main train station is probably 15-20 minute brisk walk away, but I used a taxi both ways due to luggage.

Would definitely stay here again. Clean, small, suitable, and well-located.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled solo
Melbourne, Australia
Reviewed 22 October 2013 via mobile

My husband and I stayed for 1 night in Würzburg while visiting friends. We had had some difficulty finding a hotel that was available in our price range, so chose the Hotel Dortmunder based on TA reviews.
The hotel is down a side street just off the pedestrian zone and a 10 minute walk from the train station. Downstairs there is a little bistro which seems to be very popular with the locals.
Our room was quite outdated, but it was clean and neat, with enough room for our luggage. It was nice to have a proper corner shower after weeks of shower-over-baths.
We couldn't get any wifi reception in our room, but were able to use it from the bistro downstairs.
Breakfast in the morning was fantastic, with a huge variety of bread, pastries, meats, cheeses, cereal, fruits, cakes and spreads.
The staff were lovely, and were able to give us plenty of advice on where to go for sightseeing.
The Hotel Dortmunder is a pleasant budget hotel.

Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple
7 Thank ConstantlyinAwe
Atlanta
Reviewed 29 September 2013

My group spent 3 nights at the Dortmunder Hof last week. This hotel was given good reviews by Rick Steves but I think it was even better than advertised. It is a cozy, family run place with a nice restaurant and centrally located. It was 10 minutes to the Hauptbahnhof and even closer to the Michaels Church, Dom, Rathaus and the fabulous Old Main Bridge. The rooms were large enough and comfortable and the breakfast was hearty with great coffee. I would definitely bring another group to the Dortmunder Hof.

By the way, the owners explained to me how this hotel got the unusual name of Dortmunder Hof hundreds of Kilometers from Dortmund. It seems that years ago the Dortmunder brewery provided the beer for the restaurant and it was the cheapest in town...and you know what that means with Wuerzburg not only being a University city, but at that time a very large garrison for the US 3d Infantry Division. Great place and good deal.

Room Tip: Rooms on all sides are fine. No loud streets in the area.
  • Stayed September 2013, travelled with friends
2 Thank bobAtlanta
Minnesota
Reviewed 12 September 2013

We stayed at this hotel because Rick Steves recommended it in his travel book. The facade is unassuming on a back street. We began to wonder as we pulled up, if this was a good idea. But upon stepping inside, we knew we made the right choice. It is family run and the very friendly owner poured us something to drink and invited us in. He helped bring our luggage to the room and he then gave us an umbrella and an English map to help us find our way around the city. The hotel is centrally located and only a short walk from the Marketplatz. Rooms are small but the wifi in the rooms is complimentary. The restaurant below the hotel is charming. We had a very good supper. I would recommend the rolled beef with the potato dumpling and red kraut. We had a very good type of corn relish that was complimentary before the meal. In the morning, we had breakfast of cold cuts, cheeses, breads, fruits, and more extras than any other place during our 2 weeks of travel. If there was any downside to this hotel, it would be a little noise starting at 5am with people talking around the courtyard. (We had our windows open), as well as some delivery trucks. Still, I would definitely recommend!

• Stayed July 2013, travelled with friends