“One of the coolest fortresses I've seen”

Marienburg Fortress
Book In Advance
More Info
US$147.06*
and up
Wurzburg Day Tour from Frankfurt
Ranked #3 of 76 things to do in Wurzburg
More attraction details
Owner description: This castle, the city's most prominent symbol since the 12th century, includes a museum, restaurant and formal gardens.
Reviewed 22 August 2012

This place surprised me quite a bit. Having never heard of it, and not once being recommended to me, the Marienberg fortress was not necessarily on my to-do list. But after I moved to Wuerzburg a visit was in order and after a nice lazy walk I found myself exploring the grounds of one of the most interesting fortress castles I've ever been too. It is the type of place that forces you to imagine life hundreds of years ago. High walls, interlocking perimeters, countless battle parapets all make you wonder what it must have been like during a siege. At one point I said out loud "what I would do to have the keys to this place to explore every last room." You should check it out.

There are newer reviews for Marienburg Fortress

Reviewed 14 August 2012

This is a must do! Spend an hour or so wondering the grounds of the fortress taking in the fabulous views of the Wurzburg town and river. It is a memorable experience and definitely worth doing. We drove right to the top with our car, parking and access is excellent. We did not get charged an entry fee (went on a sunday?) which made the experience even more enjoyable! The gardens are just lovely and it makes for a nice enjoyable and romantic visit.

1  Thank AnnikadeBruijne
Reviewed 11 August 2012

We did the English Tour(which had a Fee) ,it was very interesting and the Guide very nice!
Beautiful Views from up there! Wuerzburg is a GREAT City !!

Reviewed 5 August 2012

I went here with a group, and we had a great time. We got to go to both museums, and we went on the English speaking tour. I loved all of the art and history of the place. And the views from the castle were stunning. I got a lot of exercise just walking around the castle.

Just one thing, though: one of the museums has you put your bags, cameras, and drinks in a locker, and you need a 1 Euro coin to use the locker, so make sure you have one with you. Also, I would suggest bringing water with you or buy some there if you go during the summer (even though you can't bring it into either museum).

Reviewed 2 August 2012

You'll get plenty of exercise regardless of the two walks you can take to get there. One is 20 minutes and steeper, the other winds through the hillside vineyards and takes approxx 40 minutes.The fortress is an amazing example of a medieval stronghold. Views are incredible.