All reviewsbeautiful hotelhotel restaurantacross the riverthe hotel offersstayed one nightbreakfast buffet istrain stationmini barvineyardscastlehillsidecitygermanytaxiseuroscellarresidenz
Reviewed 3 October 2011

The hotel is high on the hillside surrounded by vineyards overlooking Wurzburg. It is not really within walking distance of the city because of its elevated site but the views of the river, city and Marienberg Fortress are spectacular. There is a very nice terrace area where you can have drinks, tea, coffee and also eat if the weather is good. The staff are very polite and smile a lot which always helps.

Our room was overlooking the city. It was spacious and even had a small balcony with chairs and table. The en-sute had shower but no bath. The mini-bar was free (mostly soft drinks) as was the internet connection (wired). However, surprisingly in a four star hotel there was no air-con which meant we had to leave windows open, as it was unseasonally hot during our stay. Unfortunately, the noise from the railway lines in the valley carries and freight trains run throughout the night! So if this is a problem for you might want to ask for a room at the rear of the hotel with no city view.

The hotel has a nice indoor pool which opens out on to a grassy terrace with sun loungers in good weather.

The restaurant food was excellent with a good selection at breakfast and some really good cooking in the evening. The local wines are also well worth trying especially the sparkling ones. The restaurant inside is quite formal but sitting outside on the terrace was very relaxing with the great views of Wurzburg.

All in all we enjoyed our stay and felt the hotel was of a good standard and had character. By the way it is not really a castle - it was built as a hotel. The site is quite spread out and there is no lift to the upper floors but staff carry your bags to the rooms.

Plus points: very helpful and welcoming staff and good food.

Room Tip: Bear in mind the possibility of train noise if you are at the front of the hotel.
  • Stayed: September 2011, travelled as a couple
1  Thank tiredmum
Reviewed 2 September 2011

Thought the internet misleading on this hotel, we were expecting a 4 star spa hotel arrived at a dark, gothic style rather grubby pile at the top of a hill ! The views of Wurzberg were super, but our room very small & dated, ensuite bathroom tiny & probably 1970's ! Compared to the price we'd paid for 2 previous stopovers very overpriced !! Only plus point the restaurant & staff, very friendly & helpful, otherwise not a hotel we'll return to.

• Stayed: July 2011, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Louise C
Reviewed 10 August 2011

Pros:
Fantastic view
Quirky and well decorated rooms
Free minibar
Great Breakfast
Good standard of restaurant.
Pool and sauna

Cons:
Expensive internet: Provided by T-mobile so may be OK for German users but for international travellers without international wifi roaming it'll cost 5 euros for 60 mins or 20 euros for 600 mins. Frankly too expensive for what is really a standard feature, especially for a hotel of this standard. Very disappointing!

No aircon: Our room had a splendid view of the city but the hotel is near a dual carriageway/Autobahn and a freight train line so it was quite noisy until late. Of course, the minibar adds extra heat so aircon is a must.

Parking is onroad or just off on a verge of the road. Not quite what I was expecting.

• Stayed: August 2011, travelled as a couple
1  Thank fuzzyfelt
Reviewed 21 June 2011

We stayed at the Steinburg quite some time ago when our son was very young -- this time it was nice to be back with him, his wife, and their little boy. The Steinburg sits atop a high bluff overlooking the center of Wurzburg; views are wonderful, outdoor dining on the terrace is quite pleasant, and the kitchen is a very good one. Around the hotel in two directions, up- and downriver, are vineyards with easy walking paths and some interesting and informative signs outlining the history of wine in the region, the types of grapes grown, and so forth. We had a "Wine in the City" package with quite a few added attractions -- notably a boat trip, which we unfortunately did not stay long enough to take, and a self-guided vineyard tour and picnic lunch which we did do and thoroughly enjoyed. The picnic lunch comes in hampers and is very generous; in fact it was large enough that we realized carrying it with us would be a challenge, so we asked to have it on the terrace at the hotel, as a break in our vineyard walks, and it was *great*. (Among other things it includes a bottle of the local sparkling wine for each couple...).

Dinners were quite good -- the package came with a five-course special dinner, served at a nicely-decorated table, which we enjoyed a great deal. Afternoon tea on the terrace features a selection of amazing Bavarian pastries (all completely calorie-free and loaded with fiber, of course!) and a very relaxed atmosphere.

One of our rooms was on the smallish side, but the other was quite large, and both were clean, comfy, and freshly-decorated. The staff are super-friendly and go out of their way to make guests feel at home. In fact the only minor drawback of the hotel is that it is so cushy that it's easy to settle in for a long stay and not get down into Wurzburg. Other reviewers have pointed out that the Steinburg is not easy to find, and they've got a point -- you get there via narrow streets leading up the far side (from the town) of the bluff. But with a GPS it was easy to get there; when we stayed there twenty years ago, in pre-GPS days, we found it as well, so it can be done. And it's worth the effort.

Go, enjoy the comfort and the vineyards, work your way through the menus -- we'll come back ourselves, if we possibly can --

• Stayed: June 2011, travelled with family
1  Thank Itinerant_scholar
Reviewed 29 May 2011

I stayed at the hotel for a conference for three nights. The conference facilities are fantastic - plenty of supplies and great rooms to work in.

My room was very comfortable, the soft drinks in the minibar are free and plug sockets are in the right places (beside the bed and near the dressing table).

I needed train times, which the receptionist got for me v.quickly and the early morning receptionist was very polite and helpful in the early hours when I left.

My only criticisms are slightly silly I suppose - unless I'm completely mistaken, I couldn't run the bath whilst there, which I'm sure does work otherwise why have it? Also, I would've liked to have at least one English language TV channel (e.g. Sky World or similar) and I thought the WiFi connection was expensive. I wasn't in my room often but when I'm away I do like to know what's happening in the world. Also, I would like a full length mirror in the room.

Overall, it was lovely - the views are fantastic, it is quiet at night and the service is fantastic.

• Stayed: May 2011, travelled on business