“Not officially open: the refugium, contemporary part of the Schlosshotel sSteinburg”

Schlosshotel Steinburg
Ranked #9 of 46 Hotels in Wurzburg
Reviewed 2 August 2012

The traditional hotel is a gem above the city of Würzburg with its view on the river, the citadel and the whole old city. The rooms are traditional as you would expect in an old manor (no air-conditioning or wi-fi, the building is protected by the Historical building commission) check the sites though http://www.steinburg.com/index_en.html as they are lovely.
The newly finished contemporary aisle conceived for groups and seminars has lovely modern rooms with all kinds of modern accouterments (air-conditioning, electric blinds, wi-fi, double shower), motion sensor lights and views, views, views
We also had a gourmet dinner at the restaurant, on the terrasse, with regional wine tasting (stick to the whites) and visited the amazing cellar, not to be missed.

Room Tip: Choose between castle style (and no air-conditioning) or very contemporary but alsways ask for a riv...
  • Stayed: August 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank travelistanr1
There are newer reviews for Schlosshotel Steinburg

Reviewed 1 August 2012

What a lovely building and setting. We only stayed one night, but the room was charming and the staff was excellent. We enjoyed the pool area with views of all of Wurzburg. And the restaurant is not to be missed. Lucky for us, most of the staff spoke very good English.

• Stayed: July 2012, travelled with family
Reviewed 30 July 2012

It is not easy find a castle in Germany which has lovely rooms and a superb location!

For a castle hotel it is pretty large. They have over 50 rooms in the castle and they have now extended another modern section to the hotel with an additional 21 rooms. The rooms in the castle do not have any air conditioning and neither do they have lifts.

We stayed in the rural castle rooms which are larger than the Dream Castle Rooms. Rooms are lovely and have an i-pod docking station, flat screen television and the mini bar is included in the room rate (the bar is filled with soft drinks, beer and snacks). The bathrooms are pretty small with only a bathtub.

Tip: If you prefer a quiet room choose a room at the back of the hotel. It is pretty noisy to the front and especially in summer you hear the summer concerts from town, the trains as well as the guests on the terrace as this place is extremely popular for weddings and functions!

On top of that we were lucky as it was extremely hot (36°C) in Würzburg, the rooms going out towards the back are cooler as you don't get the afternoon sun and those rooms going out to the front get hot and stuffy.

As this hotel mainly gets used for functions there are no lovely rooms to withdraw and to enjoy a drink. There also isn't a bar to meet for drinks. So, other than the terrace which is superb there are no other decent options.

Surprisingly the food was excellent, we were suspicious because they mainly cater for events and the hotel had two weddings going on the same day! A great choice was the 6 course fingerfood menu. Each course was superb and from the logistics point of view amazing. You can select any 6 courses you wish. The meat, fish, etc was perfectly prepared and was soft and juicy. The food is pricey but therefore the location superb

The service in the hotel is also extremely helpful. They run around like bumble bees trying to make you feel comfortable. They really went out of their way. But, if you are planning to have a quick lunch then rather eat out elsewhere as it takes too long. We only had a salad and we sat for 2 hours!

A nice touch of the hotel is that there is always water and fruit in the reception area.

We did not use the spa and sauna so I cannot comment on that.

Room Tip: Definitely choose a room that go out to the back of the hotel as they are much quieter
  • Stayed: July 2012, travelled with friends
1  Thank cape-town-best
Reviewed 9 May 2012

I really enjoyed my stay here. I was actually traveling on business, but I loved it. Had one of the best meals in Germany here, but it was pricey. I wish I had been here with my wife. Just beautiful.

Room Tip: I had a river view.
  • Stayed: June 2011, travelled on business
Reviewed 18 April 2012

My husband and I booked a room at the Schlosshotel Steinburg for one night as part of our honeymoon. Although it was a bit hard to find, and located a bit far from Wurzburg itself, we enjoyed our stay very much. The room was beautiful, the service great and the scenery amazing. The dinner we had was fancy (and priced accordingly) and delicious and the breakfast (included in room price) was superb. In our opinion, the Hotel's location and ambiance make it more of a place to stay for a few days and relax, rather than a spot from which to explore the area surrounding it. We will definately return to the Schlosshotel Steinburg in the future for a longer stay.

Room Tip: We picked one of the "Castle" rooms, considered the standard, and the room was well beyond...
  • Stayed: April 2012, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 28 February 2012

I decided to try Schlosshotel Steinburg due to the Lonely Planet and Frommer’s Travel Guides. Both the guides describe the hotel as a wonderful stop on the Romantic Road. Well, it’s a good choice, but not as much the guides indicate. It has wonderful views of the city, the Main river and the vineyards, the rooms are comfortable and the breakfast decent. The hotel itself is a castle whose foundations date from the 13th century. But if you want to visit Würzburg - and of course you will - keep in mind that the hotel is situated 10 km from the city, and without a GPS it’s a bit confusing to reach it. But the experience worth having.

Room Tip: Ask the rooms with Main river views.
  • Stayed: February 2012, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 3 November 2011

From the internet, we were expecting a much higher quality of hotel. For European hotels, and probably for Wurzburg, this was not a terrible hotel, but definitely not a four star property.

To begin, you must have a car to stay here, I'm not sure how you would do it without one. It is impossible to find, you must travel down a narrow dirt road up a hill to get there. The place itself is interesting, more of a gothic or medieval castle than a royal one, but I found that atmosphere fun. The terrace and views are fantastic, as you are high up above the city. The major cons- the room and bathroom was terrible. Very outdated and ridiculously small. I saw pictures on the website of rooms, and this was nowhere near what they show. The bathroom also could not fit two people in it comfortably at the same time. No air conditioning (common I know for Europe), so we had to keep the window open so as not to suffocate which would have been fine except the noise was unbearable. You would think being up so high that noise wouldn't travel that far, but the major Bahns are right below and the train runs along parallel to them so it is a double whammy, especially when the ICE comes through.

We stayed at two fantastic properties before and after this in Munich and Frankfurt so perhaps we were spoiled a little, but I was most disappointed because I felt very misled by the website. It is probably right on par with most mid level European hotels (I would put it at a 2 or 3 star), but for the price we paid it should have been much better. From TripAdvisor I realize I should have stayed at the Best Western Rebstock even though it was more expensive, but I thought a castle hotel would be better then a Best Western. Although not a disastrous choice, I would not stay here again.

• Stayed: October 2011, travelled as a couple