“Well worth the rating”

Ranked #181 of 634 Hotels in Berlin
Espoo, Finland
“Well worth the rating”
Reviewed 18 July 2014

Me and my girlfriend stayed at Wyndham Garden Berlin Mitte 3 nights in July 2014 and had a good experience. I've read some critique about how it's located "far away" from the center and while it is true if just looking at a map, it's completely nonsense when considering the public transportation system in Berlin. Both Alexandersplatz and Potsdamer Platz (basicly the epicenters of Berlin) are reachable with one S or U line. It takes around 10 minutes to walk to the station (Bornholmersstrasse for S line or Pankstrasse for U line) and from there another 10-15min to get to the previously mentioned places.

When arriving to the hotel we were greeted by a receptionist with good english and a wonderful smile. The check in went without a hassle and we got a big spacious room on the ground floor. It showed that the room had seen some life (some of the carpeting had come off and some wear and tear here and there) but overall a nice room. The WiFi was not strong enough to reach the room and worked when it wanted to, but in the lobby there was no problems. When taking a shower, the water splashed onto the floor and as there was no drainage on the floor it made some pools which could cause water damage in a long run (suggestion for hotel management to look into).

Our reservation did not include breakfest but we had it once. At 12€/person I was personally a bit dissapointed just because I have had better in other countries for the same price.

Overall the experience was good and I can recommend this Hotel.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Zebu89
Maria B, Front Office Manager at Wyndham Garden Berlin Mitte, responded to this review, 23 July 2014
Dear guest,
thank you very much for your extensive and informative comment about your stay at the Wyndham Garden Hotel Berlin Mitte. I am pleased to read that you positively felt the location of the hotel and have used advantage of the excellent transport links.
Your comment about the minor deficiencies in the room I forwarded to our technician department.
I appreciate you taking the time to mention the staff in your review. I am very proud of my team as we are at our guests service with a very welcoming and professional manner.
We are looking forward to welcoming you again soon.
with kind regards

Front Office Manager

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (50)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Hebrew first
  • Polish first
  • Slovak first
  • Turkish first
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 11 July 2014

I came into Berlin via Hauptbahnhof and the hotel was probably about a 30-35 minute journey from there, including walking from Bornholmer Straße station. While I wouldn't call the hotel central, it was perfectly serviceable by public transport, with Trams (Grüntaler Straße), the U-bahn (Osloer Straße) and S-Bahn (Bornholmer Straße) all within walking distance.

The room was big and comfortable and bathroom was very pleasant and clean. I prefer taking a shower rather than a bath and as seeing as the bath had no shower curtain or screen, water tended to get everywhere all over the floor, especially as I'm quite a tall man so need the shower head quite high! Also the room wasn't air conditioned, but the windows opened wide enough for this not to be too much of a problem.

The staff at reception were excellent and spoke perfect English, and it was very easy to purchase the Berlin "Welcome Card" from them to make public transport less of a hassle and they were very efficient during check in/check out.

Breakfast was great and had plenty of choices, although I found it difficult one morning to find where the Coffee was, but a waiter quickly resolved that situation.

Big shout out to the barman working on Monday 7th and Wednesday 9th, he was very helpful, especially during the busy nights when the world cup games were on.

Overall I was very impressed by the hotel and while the location wasn't central, the number of transport options made it less of a hassle to get there and back.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled solo
2 Thank djhworld
Maria B, Front Office Manager at Wyndham Garden Berlin Mitte, responded to this review, 16 July 2014
Dear guest,

thank yor very much for taking your time to mention your experience at the Wyndham Garden.
Particularly I am pleased about your positive statement to my team at the reception and the colleagues at the bar. I will forward your kind words.
Also nice to read you enjoyed the room you stayed in as well as the location of the hotel and the public transportation nearby. I am delighted that the breakfast buffet has met your expectations, too.
Thank you for staying with us, we are looking forward to welcome you again soon.

Best regards
Reviewed 9 July 2014

Me, my partner and a friend stayed at the Wyndham garden hotel for a short 3 night 4 day stay in July. I was slightly concerned when prior to our arrival I read some negative comments about the location of the hotel. We flew into schonefeld airport and hadn't booked transfers, (we were quoted £70) this wasn't at all a problem as the public transport system in Berlin is second to none! We paid €16 for a group ticket and that allows travel on the sbahn, ubahn and I believe the busses and trams too, (although we didn't use them) We managed to navigate our way to the hotel in around 1hour I believe it is around 15km so thought this was pretty good. We found the closet ubahn stop to the hotel was pankstrasse. With just a short (less than 10 minute) walk. Checking into the hotel was speedy and problem free. We had rooms 911 and 915 and couldn't of been happier they were spotlessly clean and modern. The biggest plus to this hotel was the absolutely lovely staff. Nothing was ever a problem throughout our stay, they arranged irons, ironing boards promptly when needed and sent my friends post cards home for him at no cost to him, there was a problem with my friends breakfast reservation but the matter was resolved within minutes without hesitation, my friend also left his camera at reception upon arrival and the reception staff called straight down to his room to let him know, (you wouldn't find that honesty everywhere) Breakfast was a large choice of buffet style cereals, fruits, eggs, cold meats, cheeses, breads, bacon, yoghurts, the list is endless, all lovely and again served by the fantastic waiting staff. We can't comment on the other food as we ate out every night but if breakfast was anything to go by then I bet it was of a good standard. Like I said earlier the tube is less than a 10 minute walk and it takes around 10 minutes to get to the centre of Berlin, so if travelling 20 minutes is unreasonable when you are on holiday then maybe some people should stay at home, personally we enjoy a stroll. There have been other comments about the area not being the greatest and apparently "poor" however at no point at all did we feel unsafe, (we came back to the hotel around 1am most nights) we actually used many of the shops and bars around the hotel and all remarked how nice everybody was. Berlin is an awesome city with so much to see, we've been once before and will continue to return as we haven't even scratched the surface of things we would love to do. I big recommendation if you like to get out and about and learn a bit about berlin's history is the fat tire bike tours! Well worth the €24 for a 5 hour tour by bicycle, best thing we done by far and again the staff were brilliant! Big thanks to the Wyndham garden and all of the staff, you are all really a credit to the place! we are already planning our return visit. :-)

• Stayed July 2014
2 Thank Emskimoo82
Dear Ems,
thank you very much for staying at the Wyndham Garden Berlin Mitte and for taking your time to review your stay. It is a pleasure to read how you describe the great number of positive impression – thank you for your recommendation and the awesome five-star-review.
I am really pleased that we could rise up to your expectations and your stay was to your entire satisfaction.
It is a compliment and daily pleasure that you have positively mentioned me and my colleagues. Furthermore it is delighting that you enjoyed the rooms you were accommodated and also you full enjoyed the breakfast buffet.
Berlin is always a journey worth, I am glad, you had so much memorable days.
I would be very pleased if you would decide to return to our Wyndham Garden at your next trip.

Yours sincerely,
Kissimmee, Florida
Reviewed 7 July 2014

The room was clean. The air conditioning was decent.. Not like the states though. The front desk staff were excellent. The airlines lost my luggage for the first 4 days and the hotel checked on it for me the whole time so I was not stressed. Walking distance to train, tram and bus. A distance from the "city" but not that far by public transport, which by the way is terrific. I would stay again although my biggest complaint was that the lighting in the room was Dim..

• Stayed July 2014, travelled solo
1 Thank valrieabd
Dear Valerie,

thank you for rating your stay at the Wyndham Garden Berlin Mitte.
It was a pleasure to accommodate you and your son and also to assist to get your luggage to the hotel. I am really glad, that you were pleased with your room as well as the cleanness and of course thank you for mention accentuated my colleagues at the reception.
I would appreciate to welcome you again.

Yours sincerely,
Reviewed 4 July 2014 via mobile

After our original hotel had water damage, they put us up in the Wyndham Gardens Grand Central hotel. The hotel was clean, the staff friendly, and rooms were nice.

Pros: This hotel had a bar and a restaurant and the beer prices were fair. They had bar snacks-- four snacks such as hot dog, schnitzel, hamburger and chicken fingers-- and a regular restaurant, which was high in price. The first set of bartenders we had were great. The second not so much. After he sat us at the restaurant, we didn't like the menu-- he wasn't too pleased that we left. So when we had him the next two night at the bar he was a bit snippy.

The girls at the front desk were all helpful. We interacted w different ones every day and they were all helpful.

The room was just what we needed. A nice size for the room and bathroom isn't always the case in Europe but it was here. There is no AC here but we were lucky and it was in the high 60s and below the whole time we were in Berlin.

My one major con-- and it may seem small-- was the pillows. I find in Europe people give you two pillows for two people. And you better hope you like them. That may seem like no big deal, but one thing I can say about American and Canadian hotels is they give you 4-- 2 soft and 2 firmer ones-- so you can sleep with more comfort. My boyfriend and I like opposite types of pillows. Let's say he was better off in this hotel.

The area around the hotel looks a little sketchy, but it is safe. We walked down it at night and I never felt uncomfortable-- not to say you shouldn't be aware, but I wouldn't say you should feel alarmed. The restaurants in the area are mostly non German food. We did find a place called Borik and it was the only German one we could fine. The beer and food is fair priced and you finish your dinner w a free shot.

Public transit is plentiful in the area, but you will walk to the S 1&2. It's about a ten minute walk or you can go the opposite direction 1 block and take the two trams/busses that come up two stops towards the S 1&2 station.

Overall, our experience was good at this hotel. I would stay again.

Stayed June 2014
2 Thank Dmama1314
Maria B, Front Office Manager at Wyndham Garden Berlin Mitte, responded to this review, 6 July 2014
Dear guest,
thank you very much for your review and especially for the time you have taken to tell us and prospective guests your impression.
It is an awesome compliment to my colleagues that you have kept our reception staff in a friendly and positive memory. I will gladly give it to my colleagues.
Nevertheless I also apologize and very regret that one of the bartenders did not behave correctly. Even more I am pleased that you enjoyed our patio area and the menu at the lobbybar “Olive”.
It is also a pleasure to read that you were satisfied with your room. We also offer an upgrade into an air-conditioned superior room for an extra charge and if available.
At any time you can get another pillow on request at reception - we offer different sizes and strengths.
It would be great, if we could rise up your expectations with your future stay. I am looking forward and want to thank you again for your comment.
kind regards

Glassboro, New Jersey
Reviewed 28 June 2014 via mobile

A friend and I are on a 27 day Euro-Trip (in which I did not want to stay in Hostels). We did a lot of researching and thought this hotel sounded/looked good. After staying, I am happy with our choice. Yes, as others have mentioned, it is quite a distance from the center of town BUT, with the metro-system in Berlin, it only took 15 minutes to get there. It was very quick and easy! The hotel was very clean and the beds were comfortable. Bottom-line: If you don't mind a short train ride and are trying to save money, this is the place for you!

Stayed June 2014, travelled with friends
2 Thank Kristen A
Maria B, Front Office Manager at Wyndham Garden Berlin Mitte, responded to this review, 30 June 2014
Dear Kristen,

thank you for your positively feedback.
I appreciate to read, you enjoyed the clean rooms and comfortable beds. And the way to reach the exciting city center by public transportations.
I am delighted that you had a pleasant stay with us and I am looking forward to welcome you again.

Kind regards
Berlin, Germany
Reviewed 24 June 2014

I have just spent the last 3 months living in different hotels in Berlin. Of these I felt that the Wyndham Garden was without doubt the best. I thought it presented a calm quiet oasis in an otherwise bustley city and I felt very relaxed staying here. The rooms in which I stayed, were carefully planned, quiet with thoughtfully coordinated decor (I liked the choice of art). The communal areas; dinning room and bar were quite laid back, which I prefer.

Above all, the one thing that stood out from the other hotels were the staff. They were really pleasant and helpful without exception and I thought that this was something that was lacking in most of the other hotels I stayed in.

Room Tip: by spa I meant gym