“Nightmare”

Ranked #78 of 188 Berlin B&B and Inns
Brighton, England, United Kingdom
“Nightmare”
Reviewed 28 August 2013

I was booked to stay at this hotel from Tues 20th Aug - Sunday 25th Aug, but it was an unmitigated disaster from start to finish. I arrived at the hotel at 11.30 pm as I'd had a night flight and the first problem was, there is a back and front entrance, but this isn't explained in the hotel information, or if it is, not clearly as I certainly was unaware of this.

Spent around 20minutes trying to gain access (at the back entrance, which looks exactly like the front, I discovered afterwards), ringing and knocking at the door but nobody came, the whole building was in darkness. I enquired at a restaurant next door to the hotel and was informed that I was at the back of the hotel. I went around to the front and again, it was in darkness and locked I tried ringing and knocking at the door again and also 'phoned the hotel number a few times, but it went straight to voicemail and the message said that no-one was available.

Eventually after what seemed a life time but was probably about 30 minutes, by pure luck some guests came along that were staying at the hotel and let me in as they had a key. When I got in (the guests disappeared, presumably to their room) and I rang on the reception area bell but there was no-one there! Walked around the hotel but everywhere apart from the reception area was in total darkness and locked.

I finally had to admit defeat and leave - this was around 12.30 at night and I was alone in a strange city with nowhere to go. Finally after a lot of stress and expense ('phone calls and taxis) I got somewhere else to stay.

The company I booked with have pretty much ignored my phone calls and emails (I don't want to mention them as I'm now consulting a solicitor so I need to be discreet at this point, though feel I want to 'name and shame' so as to warn other people).

It ruined the start of my holiday as obviously the first night was a total disaster due to the hotel problem and also I spent the whole of the next day and a lot of the rest of my stay, trying to elicit a response from the company I had booked with. I also contacted my daughter in London as thought it would be easier for her (and cheaper) to contact the hotel company from London, as the hotel booking company are London based I believe, but she was also pretty much ignored and left hanging on the phone each time she tried to get through to someone.

When I did get through to the booking office they said that they hadn't been able to speak to anyone at Hotel Pension Michele as no-one spoke English, so I'm not sure how I would have made myself understood if I had of stayed there.

Other points are - the hotel doesn't appear to be a hotel at all, it is situated in a very large building that I think must be used for offices? From what I could see of it, it is just on one floor and it is up two very steep flights of stairs, (I could not see a lift anywhere), so I had to lug my suitcase up the stairs. It would not be suitable for anyone with a disability. Also, I thought that by law someone should be on the premises of a hotel at all times? What would happen if there was an emergency, ie, a guest needing a doctor, burst pipes, a fire or even just a more common place requirement - something a guest may need for example, in a hotel?
Also it, in my opinion, looks grim and dismal from the outside and didn't get any better when I finally managed to get into the hotel.

I most definitely would not recommend this 'hotel'.

Room Tip: My tip would be don't stay here.
  • Stayed August 2013, travelled solo
2 Thank Julie H

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (6)
Milan, Italy
Reviewed 22 July 2013

nice clean and very well located, friendly staff. very well located. is very convenient wherever you want to go in Berlin. just it can be a bit noisy if the the weather is nice as is above a bar. and the room was also quite warm...

• Stayed July 2013, travelled with friends
Beijing
Reviewed 31 October 2012

My husband and I stay at Pension Michele for 3 nights. The location is very convenient, which is only 3 minutes away from U-Bahn Nollendorfplatz. Lucky us, we found the free street parking nearby. The lady at the front desk is very nice. The working hour of the reception is from 10am-10pm. Our room was big and bright. There are many nice and affordable restaurant downstairs. Highly recommended.

Room Tip: We were in room 10, which is on the 2nd floor. No lift to the Pension.
  • Stayed September 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank LaoMang
Australia
Reviewed 3 June 2012

My partner and I stayed here for two nights in May. The rooms are nice and quiet given the location right above the restraunts and cafes of Winterfeldplatz. Our room looked out over the plaza, which was just beautiful with the markets set up on a clear spring Saturday.

Good value for the location too and the desk staff were helpful enough without been really interested. I also recommend the falafel place under the hotel - great, fresh food and nice guys too.

• Stayed May 2012, travelled as a couple
Vantaa, Finland
Reviewed 20 May 2012

Near metro-station, KaDeWE and ku´damm shoppingstreet. Hotel (Pensionat was quite modest. Reception was opened from 10 (11) am to 9 pm. No breakfast-service but nearby was several. Poor soundbroofing, noice from street and corridor was a bit disturbing.

• Stayed May 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Jarmo_Y
London
Reviewed 9 March 2011

Stayed for a weekend in late January. Reception usually closes by 8 but they stayed there until 11.30 for us. OK room - very fast free wifi. Warm on a very cold weekend. In a great old pre-war building, unusual as almost everything else is post 45. Nice area with lots of restaurants & about 3 minutes from the metro. Near to a lot of local gay bars & clubs but not on top of them. About half the cost of a chain hotel. Recommend.

• Stayed February 2011, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Stephen-London-N16
huddersfield
Reviewed 12 October 2010

Previous review said that they don't accept credit cards. They did for me ! Great LOCATION near Nollendorfplatrz ubahn - and I didn't see any other pensions/hotels around that area. An easy walk towards the centre. Big, clean rooms. A lot of bars and restaurants around giving a small amount of noise, but wasn't a problem. Try the Turkish cafe right across the street for a mornign coffee.

• Stayed October 2010, travelled solo