“Meh”
Review of Wombat's Berlin

Wombat's Berlin
Ranked #8 of 362 Speciality Lodging in Berlin
Reviewed 7 June 2014

An ok hostile in a so so area. Room wad not clean with stickys bathroom floor and dead bugs/dust filling most of the light fixtures. Feels secure for solo travelers. No soap in bathroom to wash hands, no mat for very slippery showers, just seemed plain and cheap for the higher than average price.

• Stayed: June 2014
Write a ReviewReviews (1,159)

Reviewed 6 June 2014

I stayed three nights here and found it to be fine for my needs. The bed was comfortable, and the dorm room was spacious and clean with an ensuite bathroom. Lockers are in the room along one wall. The rooftop bar was okay. It was way too loud inside, but I did enjoy some nice times on the roof deck. The kitchen is large with great refrigerators. The staff were friendly, if a bit rushed. I liked the location. It was close to the subway, and though I walked to most tourist sites, I took advantage of the U-Bahn, two minutes away, to get to the airport. It would have been nice if Wombats Hostel had offered a walking tour or other tours that would bring people together, but overall, I liked this hostel and would probably stay here again if I were in Berlin.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled with friends
Reviewed 5 June 2014

Stayed here from the 24th-28th April in a 6 bed mixed dorm with two friends. Check in was easy and the hostel was super clean, our room was massive, really bright and spacious, compared with the norm for hostels I've stayed in before (i.e. the squash-as-many-beds-into-smallest-possible-space kind of feeling). Plus each bed had a plug and light, and I never had any problem with the Wifi except when using it for Skype down at reception. The bar is really cool, with a fab terrace and a total of three hours of 'happy hour' a day you won't be short of a drink. The location was great too, easy to access everywhere by U-Bahn and only a short walk or one stop from Alexanderplatz.

Personally though, I much prefer the feel of smaller hostels. This lacked some of the 'personal touch', staff on reception changed regularly and could be a bit unfriendly, there was no getting to know them. Also if you're in a group it's great to head up to the bar and maybe chat to a few others and make friends, but I think it could be a bit intimidating if you're on your own as it feels like everyone's there in a group. The best hostels I've stayed in are the best because they created a feeling of community, by virtue of being a lot smaller, being able to get to know staff, and organising group activities and the like. There was none of that here.

Overall, this was a great place to go with a group of friends to meet a few people, a very easy spot to get around the city from, and probably the cleanest hostel I've ever stayed in. I'd recommend it, but when I go back to Berlin I'll probably book somewhere a bit smaller with more of a personality or atmosphere.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled with friends
Reviewed 4 June 2014

I was traveling alone and very quickly met travelers from every corner of the world. The rooms were nice and the people were friendly. I couldn't have asked for a better location. The upstairs bar was a blast as well. This is definitly a party hostel so expect people coming back late at night.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled solo
Reviewed 26 May 2014

We stayed in this hostel for 4 nights while visiting Berlin, and overall, it was a very good experience. It's cost-effective, clean, secure, and a solid choice for a hostel. The surrounding neighborhood is just ok--there isn't much to see or do. But the subway and bus stations are close by.

Pros:
* Clean. When I'm looking for a hostel, the cleanliness is a major factor. They sweep the rooms daily.
* Spacious room and en-suite. There were five of us in my room and we had plenty of space to be comfortable. The bathroom is modern and clean.
* Secure. You need to make sure to have your key card at all times because you need it for the main entrance, your floor, your room, and your locker.
* The bar. The upstairs bar had TWO happy hours, which meant beers were only €1. The cocktails were also really good. It was not particularly crowded during the times that we went, but it's still a great way to meet people.
* Very close to the subway station.

Cons:
* The Wifi was not great. Most of the time, it was super slow or didn't work.
* The breakfast was underwhelming. It's all cold food and not many options.
* The restaurant (which is attached to the hostel) was ok it terms of food, but I found the staff to be quite rude and impatient.

Overall, this is a great choice--especially for a group. We did so much sight-seeing/shopping/typical Berlin touristy stuff during the day that we were exhausted every evening. So, it was nice to come back to a comfortable hostel to regroup for the next adventure-filled day.

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled with friends
1  Thank MissAlycat
Reviewed 15 May 2014 via mobile

With this hostel you get what you pay for; a place to stay at a reasonable price.
We stayed in a 6 bed dorm during our visit which was clean and of a decent size, plenty of room for 6 people to live comfortably for a few nights with a decent bathroom, bed and security locker.
The breakfast, although plentiful, wasn't the best, but for around 5 euro it's hard to complain!
If you're looking for a decent, clean, cheap place to stay for a few nights in a good location, then this hostel it good for you.

Stayed: May 2014, travelled with friends
Reviewed 8 May 2014

I was here from 1-4 May and I was sharing my room with a lady from Munich (whom was here for friend's birthday celebration) and an Aussie guy. There is a bathroom ensuite which is very convenient and clean too! Basic amenities provided are good, wifi in the room (it was quite stable probably because I stayed in 1st floor) but you can get better reception in the common area, there's a kitchen and luggage room too and the bed is comfy. They offered breakfast at minimal charges and good enough if you need to eat something before going out to explore the town. I like how they implement the key card for the locker as well.

The location wise is considered ok since there isn't really any centralized location in Berlin, U-Bahn (underground train) Rosa-Lexemburg Platz is just 3 mins walk away from the hostel which will connect you with the S/U-Bahn system.

Plenty of eatery down the road and you can do some shopping too if you don't mind walking a bit further down (near Weinmester Str)

I would rate this as one of the best hostel that I've ever stayed in, though this is my first experience with hostel in Europe. Would definitely recommended to other backpacker.

Room Tip: I'm not sure about higher floor but wifi connection is really good at 1st floor.