“Love This Place!!”

Neighbourhood: Mitte
california
“Love This Place!!”
Reviewed 17 January 2014

I've visited Berlin 3x in the last decade. Each time I stop at the Opern Palais Cafe to eat. On one trip, my mom and ate lunch, dinner, and lunch the next day at this lovely place. Our favorite thing to do is have a bowl of soup and then a piece of cake or a torte.

The Opern Palais is a fun place to people watch. Older German women get dressed up in their finest suits, pantyhose, and low heels to spend afternoon 'Kaffee' time with other women their age. It's a lovely place and I plan to return every chance I can when in Berlin.

• Visited February 2013
1 Thank alidoremi

Los Angeles
“For the sake of cake”
Reviewed 1 April 2013

The place with the biggest selection of cake - you should definitely try them served in a beautiful historical ambiente. Believe me it will be hard to select between around 30 plus cakes :) Love the place for that! :)

Visited May 2012
Miami Beach, Florida
“Have a slice of historic Berlin and some great coffee”
Reviewed 7 February 2013

Every time I visit my former home town of Berlin, I make it a point to stop at Opern Palais for a pot of coffee and a slice (or two) of their delicious cakes. The cafe is very old world European. They have a huge selection of pastries and cakes made in house, the best freshly brewed coffee and a few cafe style menu items such as soups, sandwiches and baked camembert. There is also a beer garden outside. My American friends love this place for its charm. I love it for the cakes! I could literally spend an hour browsing the glass displays without being able to choose!

The location is right in the historical center of former East Berlin, on the main street connecting the Brandenburg Gate and Alexanderplatz, Unter den Linden. Be sure to stop here on your way for coffee and pastries. It is a little pricey but worth it.

• Visited December 2012
1 Thank PulpFiction_11
Melbourne, Australia
“Don't believe the hype”
Reviewed 19 August 2012

Came highly recommended by Maria, our walking tour guide – the place has links with royal history apparently. We walk in only to find veritable pensioners paradise – throngs of them nearly falling through the viewing glass as if bustling for their final slice of life. Linda gets us a seat right near the front but we are obscured by the ever-present line of blue-rinse warriors. Our flustered waitress finally arrives in a flurry of Deutch and is surprised and almost angered when we only order one slice to share of a choc/caramel number that is by now hyped beyond belief. The cake comes out and is largely underwhelming – not necessarily too dry as such just lacking in that 'best cake I’ve ever had' type quality. Not ready for another long wait for the return of the waitress for bill etc. as we’d been completely ignored the whole time, we leave 4 euro on the table and walked out unnoticed as a pair of pearled buzzards swooped on our perch. We should've walked out leaving nothing.

Visited December 2011
2 Thank Berliner_Frankie
Sheffield, United Kingdom
“My introduction to German cafe-culture”
Reviewed 6 July 2012

The display of cakes here is tempting to say the least, they all look gorgeous so choosing just one is tough! Definitely visit here, it is an opulent, traditional setting in which to enjoy a delicious treat. The waitresses are very busy so there isn't much in the way of interaction beyond taking orders but this really doesn't hinder the experience at all.

Visited September 2011