Restaurant Horvath
Cuisines: Austrian, German, Contemporary
Dining options: Dinner, After-hours, Reservations
Neighbourhood: Kreuzberg
Reviewed 16 August 2014

Set in a lovely building close to the canal with friendly staff who know their stuff when it comes to food and wine, this is a great place to go for a special meal.

We went for the full 10 course tasting menu, but walked away feeling satisfied, but not bloated. The food was beautifully presented on the plate and had a great range of flavours and textures. The chef has obviously put a lot into researching the food and the way flavours combine. Many of the ingredients are local (including from the garden of the restaurant).

The wine list showcased wines from Austria and Germany, and as we had little knowledge about wine from this region we relied on the waiter to advise us. he did an excellent job, finding out our taste, recommending wines we would never have considered and offering the opportunity to sample before opting. The wine list was also very reasonably priced with a wide range at the lower end of the price range.
The meal took a long time, but we only realised that when we looked at our watches when we left the restaurrant. We thoroughly enjoyed our visit and would recommend it to people who like good food.

Reviewed 25 July 2014

This is probably the most pretentious place, masquerading as a restaurant, I have ever encountered. Don't go if you are hungry, as you will leave just as hungry and don't be fooled by the fussy descriptions narrated by a breathless waitress, in hushed tones, which you are clearly meant to be impressed by. We weren't. We chose six courses - should have left after the first, but being optimists thought it would improve- it didn't. We did, in fact, witness a couple arrive, drink a bottle of water, look at the menu and then they escaped. If only we could have joined them. The look on the waiter's face when he returned was a highlight of the evening. As was the spider which crawled across our table, from the hedge we were sitting beside. I regret swiping it away as it would have provided more protein than any of the dishes I was served. Slow service doesn't describe the snail's pace with which every course was delivered. And we weren't alone - there was a definite air of discontent among many of the tables we were sitting close to, as we heard the Head Waiter apologise to several of them - what they were complaining about who knows -I am no detective but my guess would be lack of food. As soon as we could we fled, but after asking several times for the bill - to be honest, it felt as if I was in some Kafkaesque nightmare from which I would never escape. The only thing it gave us was plenty of fun stories to dine out in restaurants which serve food, with friends. If you want fine dining, Tim Raue was AMAZING - this restaurant is trying to play in that league and failing.

2  Thank ALAN M
Reviewed 17 July 2014

Wasn't sure about this place from the website but went anyway and it was marvellous. Relaxed and informal the chef did his thing, so no tiresome choosing.
Food beautifully constructed from a flavour point of view. Presentation first class and not pretentious or indulgent.
Price was very good for Berlin, we ate dinner but couldn't afford to go anywhere else except for lunch. Our companion was veggie and they were accommodated without fuss.
In the style of L'Enclume without the forages. A nice compromise- no Liquid nitogen and no fussy head waiters.

Reviewed 13 July 2014

We've been to several famous restaurants around the Europe, but this is the absolute top class. Food at the highest level, and local wines that taste excellent, characterizes this restaurant.
Menu based on local ingredients, in a pleasant environment, means that we can certainly recommend this restaurant to others.

Reviewed 6 July 2014 via mobile

I had a night alone in Berlin and treated myself to a top restaurant. I chose Horvàth by default because many of my first choice were closed on Sunday.

I was certainly not disappointed as the food was excellent, interesting and flavorsome, and the staff great.

The wine list was very good too and I had a very enjoyable experience.

The location is surprising and the atmosphere very intimate. I sat outside in the early summer evening.

I would definitely recommend Horvàth and definitely return.