“Overpriced boutique in quiet neighborhood”
Review of Axel Hotel Berlin

Axel Hotel Berlin
Ranked #201 of 634 Hotels in Berlin
Atlanta, Georgia
“Overpriced boutique in quiet neighborhood”
Reviewed 16 September 2012

I stayed in Berlin for 5 nights as part of a 2 week European tour. My friend and I decided to stay at the Axel for our last night in Berlin to try something different. We happened to be in town during the Folsom Europe festival which was interesting to say the least.

The location is in a quieter neighborhood but just moments away from multiple U-bahn stations and the KaDeWe store, bars, and nightclubs. The hotel has a modern style but feels a bit small and is showing some signs of aging. There is very little space in the lobby area, restaurant, and guest room. In fact, there were no closets or drawers to store clothing. The bathroom design is ideal for exhibitionism as the shower glass is clear and so one can be easily seen from within the room or even the hallway if the door to the room is opened.

The staff were reasonably friendly. Internet was available free of charge but did seem slow and access was restricted to 2 devices per room. We did not use the restaurant as there were plenty of dining options nearby.

I am giving this hotel an "average" rating since the price seemed quite high in comparison to nearby properties with equivalent or better amenities. We were aware of this prior to our stay but wanted to try out the "heterofriendly" experience.

• Stayed September 2012, travelled with friends
AxelhotelBerlin, Geschäftsführer at Axel Hotel Berlin, responded to this review, 18 September 2012
Dear Brandon W, first of all i like to thank you for your review here on Tripadvisor. It is always important to get a feedback or suggestion from our guests. I m sorry that you found our Hotel a bit expensive, but you have to see that due to the Folsom Event next door this weekend belongs to our High Season. This has nothing to do with a rip off, i think it is something regular like in the whole business. During the year we are having different kind of rates and maybe in future or by your next Trip to Berlin you will find a better offer for you. Best regards, Oliver Boehme, General Manager, Axel Hotel Berlin

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (244)
  • Czech first
  • Hebrew first
  • Polish first
Tel Aviv, Israel
Reviewed 12 September 2012

Stay at Axel, unlike any other hotel. This is the 10th visit Axel, and this time it was really fun! I I asked as an old guest to upgrade the room the staff was just wonderful! But the most fun is the sense of freedom and adventure. One evening, my door is not completely closed left ... and I heard voices outside ... When I opened the door stood in front of me a couple studs from Spain ... and within seconds, you already know what happened! What other hotel in the world can have such adventures! I wanted to mention that the hotel greatly improved his breakfast! There is only one problem with the internet that have lots of guests at the hotel and many of them surfers, then Internet not working continuously. But ... On the other hand the hotel is full of fun, especially in the hot tub in the spa floor!

• Stayed September 2012, travelled on business
5 Thank yarin43
AxelhotelBerlin, Geschäftsführer at Axel Hotel Berlin, responded to this review, 14 September 2012
Dear yarin43, i love to thank you so much for another nice review about the Axel Berlin. We are all so happy to win you as a regular guest and it is always a pleasure to talk to you. So nice that we know already when you will be back and the whole Team and for sure myself is looking forward to welcoming you again. Best regards, Oliver Boehme, General Manager, Axel Hotel Berlin
Palm Springs, California
Reviewed 7 September 2012

Rooms are very small and there is minimal storage - only a small rack to hang clothes - no closet. Furnishings very modern. Excellent mattresses with European Feather Bedding. Bathroom with whirlpool tub - plenty of hot water and great water pressure. Excellent Breakfast Buffet with many choices - include breakfast with your room when booking. Hotel location is near 'Hop On Hop Off Bus' for sight seeing and there are many restaurant choices in walking distances to hotel. Staff are most cordial and helpful. Property in excellent condition. Would stay here again. If looking at location of map, hotel is one short block from the famous KaDeWe Department Store.

Room Tip: Rooms on the garden side will be quieter
  • Stayed August 2012, travelled with friends
2 Thank PSDixon
AxelhotelBerlin, Geschäftsführer at Axel Hotel Berlin, responded to this review, 12 September 2012
Dear PSDixon, i like to thank you so much for your last review on Tripadvisor. We are more than happy that you had a good time with us and we are all looking forward to welcoming you in the near future. Best regards, Oliver Boehme, General Manager, Axel Hotel Berlin
Perth, Australia
Reviewed 6 September 2012

The hotel is well fit out, but our room wifi was low strength signal so dropped out all the time. When people are booking this hotel they should be under no illusion of it being gay - it oozes gay hookups! That being said, if you aren't looking for sex, there should be no problems turning a blind eye and just avoiding the spa!

• Stayed August 2012, travelled as a couple
3 Thank Umvoti
AxelhotelBerlin, Geschäftsführer at Axel Hotel Berlin, responded to this review, 7 September 2012
Dear Umvoti, thank you so much for your review here on Tripadvisor, we are all happy that you had a good time with us during your time in Berlin. I m sorry for the Wifi, but we are changing the system and can really offer a proper connection from October on. Best regards from Berlin, Oliver Boehme, General Manager, Axel Hotel Berlin
Reviewed 3 September 2012

At first I was hesitant to write a review. I saw that any time a customer writes a review on this hotel and states a criticism the manager writes back telling the customer how wrong they are. Feel free to scroll down and see any of the 1-3 star ratings and how it was clearly the customer's fault but never the hotel's. Anyways, with that in mind I'm giving this hotel two stars. First off it is in a great location for checking out the Schonberg area. The hotel was clean but although they said they were full it seemed totally empty and was extremely quiet. I went down to the bar in the hotel, which is nice, two different nights. The busy night had four people. That just seemed odd to me considering it's location and appeal. The customer service as people have written on here depends on the hotel employee so it is not consistent from person to person. I loved the modern feel of the architecture and the black paint but that may not be for everyone. The pay TV for movies was ok but you can not fast forward or rewind. Perfect place for an adequate stay but do not expect all the bells and whistles.

• Stayed August 2012, travelled solo
3 Thank Gr82Travel2
AxelhotelBerlin, Geschäftsführer at Axel Hotel Berlin, responded to this review, 4 September 2012
Dear Gr82Travel2, like always i like to thank you as well for your recent stay in Berlin in our Hotel and your comment here on Tripadvisor. Let me point out, i never said that the guest in the other comment was wrong. I just said that it is strange due we have a really high Occupancy in the last month. The problem is that we dont have a big lobby like in other Hotels where the guest are waiting or have Drink. It means they enter and dissapear in the elevator.To run a Restaurant or a Bar in a Hotel in the middle of the City is also not easy, thats why all our guest are around the Hotel where you can find plenty of Bars. Anyway, i m happy that you like the Design and you are right it is not for everybody.
I wish you all the best and send my Regards from Berlin, Oliver Boehme, General Manager, Axel Hotel Berlin
Cologne, Germany
Reviewed 2 September 2012

All together a good hotel where I stayed for a couple of days. The staff was friendly, helpful and polite. The breakfast was more than average and the room was clean and nice and with a very fancy style. I'd book it again!

Stayed October 2011, travelled as a couple
2 Thank 988JohnK988
AxelhotelBerlin, Geschäftsführer at Axel Hotel Berlin, responded to this review, 3 September 2012
Dear 988JohnK988, thank you so much for your nice review here on Tripadvisor. We are happy that you had a good time with us during your stay in Berlin and it would be nice to welcoming you in the near future again at the Axel. Best regards, Oliver Boehme, General Manager, Axel Hotel Berlin
New York City, New York
Reviewed 1 September 2012

My partner and I recently stayed at the Axel Hotel in Berlin. Our experience was hit and miss with the hotel. First off, one of the staff, I think his name was Patrick was rude. On the first eve I approached the desk and asked if it was possible to have extra pillows. I have a little breathing problem and use extra pillows to sleep more upright. This has never been a problem in any of the many hotels I've stayed at in my life. However, Patrick sucked his teeth and rolled his eyes saying that the hotel didn't have THAT many pillows. Not even one additional pillow was sent to my room.This poor service kind of set the bar low for the hotel. In fairness I did ask another person at the desk for a pillow later in the week. He wrote it down but was not rude when he told me he was unsure if they had extra. Seems silly all this over some pillows but it was just the way it was handled at first that was not so great. However, I will say the hotel was clean and well located. The lighting was a little dark but that's the style of the hotel. The Junior Suite was oddly shaped, which also takes a little to get used to but not horrible. The other staff were very pleasant. Chris was very helpful and kind and the bartender at the bar was also quite pleasant. I would recommend the hotel but take it at face value.

• Stayed August 2012, travelled as a couple
Dear M E, first of all i like to thank you to choose the Axel Hotel for your recent stay in Berlin and also to share your opinion with other guest on Tripadvisor. I m sorry for your experience in our Hotel. If you compare other reviews here on Tripadvisor you will see that we are always getting a positive feedback regarding the staff included Patrickl as well. I m sorry if you dont felt comfortable with our service. During your weekend it was really busy and we have so many request for extra pillows that after a while we dont have enough. This doesn`t happend so often because we have already 4 pillows in each room. But i note your comments about the rest of the staff. It would be nice if you give us another chance to convince you with our service. Best regards, Oliver Boehme, General Manager, Axel Hotel Berlin