“Very good hotel with a few problems that could be resolved easily”
Review of Axel Hotel Berlin

Axel Hotel Berlin
Ranked #184 of 635 Hotels in Berlin
Reviewed 27 September 2012

I am astonished at 'genious44' as I found the room reasonably large (tho` there should be more shelf/cupboard space, especially if two are sharing the room), wonderful shower-room (and who cares about the lack of a door - who`s looking, & who cares anyway!), and the most comfortable bed I`ve slept in for ages: I enjoyed long hours of uninterrupted sleep. Is the hotel expensive? I can`t compare it with other Berlin hotels but after Berlin I stayed in the Novotel at Aachen and that was both expensive and noisy. The great advantage of a gay hotel is the absence of howling and badly-behaved children - and I find heterosexual couples are noisier in general. Axel dscribes itself as 'hetero-friendly': I wouldn`t worry if it was exclusively gay male.
The only criticisms I have are that the room was not as clean as it could be and that there was evidence of a cursory approach to cleaning (I was there for seven nights), and that I had to complain about the volume of the music at breakfast - I also disliked the choice as I have an intense aversion to 'rap' and its associated styles, but that is a personal opinion.
I would recommend this hotel to any person without a family (gay/straight) as the staff are friendly and helpful, the breakfasts are good, and I adored the black, gold and red decoration (how Germanic!). Just sort out the cleanliness, turn the volume down and I`ll award five stars!
Julian (London)

Room Tip: I don`t really have any tips, as although my room overlooked a main road, the double-glazing made it...
  • Stayed: August 2012, travelled with friends
AxelhotelBerlin, Geschäftsführer at Axel Hotel Berlin, responded to this reviewResponded 1 October 2012

Dear Julian S, first of all i like to thank you for your to choose the Axel Berlin as your Hotel in Berlin and i like to thank you for your review here on Tripadvisor as well. Good comments are important for us but as well it is always nice to get suggestions to improve our guestservice. I will figuer out what happend with the Housekeeping during your stay and i have to say sorry already for the inconvenience. I hope we will see you in the near future. For the moment i wish you all the best and send my regards from Berlin, Oliver Boehme, General Manager, Axel Hotel Berlin

Reviewed 25 September 2012

The room is ridiculously small, the bathroom is not convenient at all. No door from the bathroom to the room.
The bed is very hard
Very expensive for Berlin, there are other hotels few steps away with better rooms and less expansive.
It is using its "gay" attitude to rip off gays.
No atmosphere in the hotel, very impersonnal

• Stayed: September 2012, travelled as a couple
AxelhotelBerlin, Geschäftsführer at Axel Hotel Berlin, responded to this reviewResponded 26 September 2012

Dear genious44, first of all i like to thank you as well to choose the Axel Hotel Berlin for your recent stay and i like to take the time to write a review on Tripadvisor even it is not the best one for us. But suggestions are also important for us like a really good review.
Our rooms are 20m2 big and have a regular size for a City Hotel. In generell we are only getting positive comments about our Beds and the guest are really happy. We gave also many times the contact adress from the company because like to buying the same beds. But i think in terms of Beds it is always a question of personal taste and always depend what you like.

Regarding the rate, there is nothing in our mind to rip of gays. Not at all. We are gay as well so why i have to try to play them. You stay with us in a completly Business month with three big fairs in the City. We are doing a normal Business and selling for a corparative rate like all Hotels doing it in the whole world. It will be difficult for you because you came over for leisure, but i have to react for the actual Business in the City.
If you check during the year we are having always really good promotions and special Deals, but the September is a totally Business Month in Berlin.
Anyway, it would be nice if you like to give us another chance or try also one of our Sister Hotels in the future.
For the meanwhile i whish you all the best and send my Regards from Berlin, Oliver Boehme, General Manager, Axel Hotel Berlin

Reviewed 23 September 2012

I liked the design.
I liked the room I was in, and it was a standard room.
The location is very good.
I stayed there for 2 nights in August.
Breakfast shouldn't leave you disappointed.
Wi-fi can get a little frustrating. A modern hotel needs to have a comfortable and fast connection.
It advertises itself as a place where lots is going on. The bar never had more than a couple of guests from the hotel, I am not sure the restaurant was even really working, no appearance of a roof bar. The lounge chairs were there, along with unused bar equipment.
I would go back, but like to see a few improvements.

• Stayed: August 2012, travelled solo
AxelhotelBerlin, Geschäftsführer at Axel Hotel Berlin, responded to this reviewResponded 25 September 2012

Dear EmmanuelBologna, thank you so much for your review on Tripadvisor. I m happy that you like our Design and our Concept. I m sorry for the Internet Connection. We are working on that and i can promise you a strong Signal from the second week of October. I hope you will give us later another chance and stay with us to convince you with our service.Best regards, Oliver Boehme, General Manager, Axel Hotel Berlin

Reviewed 19 September 2012

we just left there and i have to say we were very disappointed. We have stayed at their other properties in Buenos Aires and Barcelona which were both fine hotels but this is lacking. Price is higher compared to other hotels but we booked anyway due to our other stays. Rooms are small and very dark. Lighting is horrible, a fluorescent light over the sink, really? Stingy on soap, wifi was very weak on our floor and the make you get a new sign in every day from the front desk, kinda odd. Overall, the hotel is very dark, painted black with brass and is showing wear. Tv was very limited and slow and if you wanted to rent a movie it was almost $15 euro? no ipod dock or anything to connect a player up to. Breakfast was pricey so never tried. Good location though, near bars. No good top sky bar as advertised which wa odd. Bar was small but thought it would be livelier and promote a happy hour for their guest but nothing. Staff was friendly.

Stayed: September 2012, travelled as a couple
AxelhotelBerlin, Geschäftsführer at Axel Hotel Berlin, responded to this reviewResponded 24 September 2012

Dear Richnj_11, first off all i like to thank you to choose the Axel Berlin during your recent stay. And also i like to thank you for your review, even if it is not the best one. I m sorry that we didn`t met your expectation in our Hotel. We are always trying to offer the best and individual guest service.The design and decoration is always a personal question and everybody see this with different eyes. You came here in September which is in general a High Season and Business month. Our rates are more than comparable with other Hotels in this area, even the Pay TV is a general price for what you get in options and for 11,50€ you get also many different options and every day changing warm and cold meals in the breakfast. I hope you will give us another chance in the future and will visit us again. Best regards and all the best, Oliver Boehme, General Manager, Axel Hotel Berlin

Reviewed 16 September 2012

I stayed in Berlin for 5 nights as part of a 2 week European tour. My friend and I decided to stay at the Axel for our last night in Berlin to try something different. We happened to be in town during the Folsom Europe festival which was interesting to say the least.

The location is in a quieter neighborhood but just moments away from multiple U-bahn stations and the KaDeWe store, bars, and nightclubs. The hotel has a modern style but feels a bit small and is showing some signs of aging. There is very little space in the lobby area, restaurant, and guest room. In fact, there were no closets or drawers to store clothing. The bathroom design is ideal for exhibitionism as the shower glass is clear and so one can be easily seen from within the room or even the hallway if the door to the room is opened.

The staff were reasonably friendly. Internet was available free of charge but did seem slow and access was restricted to 2 devices per room. We did not use the restaurant as there were plenty of dining options nearby.

I am giving this hotel an "average" rating since the price seemed quite high in comparison to nearby properties with equivalent or better amenities. We were aware of this prior to our stay but wanted to try out the "heterofriendly" experience.

• Stayed: September 2012, travelled with friends
AxelhotelBerlin, Geschäftsführer at Axel Hotel Berlin, responded to this reviewResponded 18 September 2012

Dear Brandon W, first of all i like to thank you for your review here on Tripadvisor. It is always important to get a feedback or suggestion from our guests. I m sorry that you found our Hotel a bit expensive, but you have to see that due to the Folsom Event next door this weekend belongs to our High Season. This has nothing to do with a rip off, i think it is something regular like in the whole business. During the year we are having different kind of rates and maybe in future or by your next Trip to Berlin you will find a better offer for you. Best regards, Oliver Boehme, General Manager, Axel Hotel Berlin

Reviewed 12 September 2012

Stay at Axel, unlike any other hotel. This is the 10th visit Axel, and this time it was really fun! I I asked as an old guest to upgrade the room the staff was just wonderful! But the most fun is the sense of freedom and adventure. One evening, my door is not completely closed left ... and I heard voices outside ... When I opened the door stood in front of me a couple studs from Spain ... and within seconds, you already know what happened! What other hotel in the world can have such adventures! I wanted to mention that the hotel greatly improved his breakfast! There is only one problem with the internet that have lots of guests at the hotel and many of them surfers, then Internet not working continuously. But ... On the other hand the hotel is full of fun, especially in the hot tub in the spa floor!

• Stayed: September 2012, travelled on business
5  Thank yarin43
AxelhotelBerlin, Geschäftsführer at Axel Hotel Berlin, responded to this reviewResponded 14 September 2012

Dear yarin43, i love to thank you so much for another nice review about the Axel Berlin. We are all so happy to win you as a regular guest and it is always a pleasure to talk to you. So nice that we know already when you will be back and the whole Team and for sure myself is looking forward to welcoming you again. Best regards, Oliver Boehme, General Manager, Axel Hotel Berlin

Reviewed 7 September 2012

Rooms are very small and there is minimal storage - only a small rack to hang clothes - no closet. Furnishings very modern. Excellent mattresses with European Feather Bedding. Bathroom with whirlpool tub - plenty of hot water and great water pressure. Excellent Breakfast Buffet with many choices - include breakfast with your room when booking. Hotel location is near 'Hop On Hop Off Bus' for sight seeing and there are many restaurant choices in walking distances to hotel. Staff are most cordial and helpful. Property in excellent condition. Would stay here again. If looking at location of map, hotel is one short block from the famous KaDeWe Department Store.

Room Tip: Rooms on the garden side will be quieter
  • Stayed: August 2012, travelled with friends
2  Thank PSDixon
AxelhotelBerlin, Geschäftsführer at Axel Hotel Berlin, responded to this reviewResponded 12 September 2012

Dear PSDixon, i like to thank you so much for your last review on Tripadvisor. We are more than happy that you had a good time with us and we are all looking forward to welcoming you in the near future. Best regards, Oliver Boehme, General Manager, Axel Hotel Berlin