“Fairly average - so-called ‘heterofriendly’”
Review of Axel Hotel Berlin

Axel Hotel Berlin
Ranked #202 of 634 Hotels in Berlin
Oslo, Norway
“Fairly average – so-called ‘heterofriendly’”
Reviewed 8 October 2012

I booked hotel and flight through an on-line ticketing service – and was not informed about the hotel being ‘gay’. This came as a huge surprise, but in my age one accept the situation and try not to complain too much. But it was not enjoyable. This has of course nothing to do with the hotel itself, but it reflects my rating of the hotel when the ‘gay’ theme is so predominant as at this place.
The common parts are in dark colors – and when I visited they featured a rather open ‘homo-erotic’ exhibition of oil paintings in the hallway, bar area and I believe even in the restaurant. The room featured a gay table calendar, TV services with gay content and some other items intended for the gay community. So the socalled ‘heterofriendly’ atmosphere was a not-existent marketing ploy. The room itself has a design you either like or hate. I have never enjoyed open bathroom solutions without the option to close a door, but it is very trendy, I understand ! (I once stayed at a hotel in Bangkok with a huge see-through glass wall between bedroom and bathroom, so you can get used to most things!). I seriously lacked a wardrobe; just hanging your clothes from the ceiling next to the washbasin, is not good design in my mind. Because of the black tiles and wallpaint, some more lightspots had been useful. They have WIFI in the room, but you have to approach reseption every 24 hour to get a new userid and password. Very cumbersome indeed. I had a room facing the back of the hotel which saved me from a lot of traffic noise. The 4-star rating is too generous – and the prices are not cheap (room, bar, restaurant).
I survived the week, but I’ll never return; this is a place for guy people only as I see it.

Room Tip: Be aware of this being a 'gay' hotel. Selct room facing the back to avoid trafic noise
  • Stayed October 2012, travelled solo
2 Thank Rolf L
AxelhotelBerlin, Geschäftsführer at Axel Hotel Berlin, responded to this review, 15 October 2012
Dear ro45li, first of all i like to thank you that you took the time to write a review about our Hotel.In the first point we are regular Hotel which is open for the Gay Community but sure we are heterofriendly and are welcoming everybody due to Axel is a tolerant place. Suppose the guest are informed already before the arrived in which kind of Hotel they stay.It was a coincidence that you book our Hotel, even when you are really active here on Tripadvisor in review other Hotels. But it is nice that you are a tolerant person and stay with us till the end.I wish you all the best and send regards from Berlin, Oliver Boehme, General Manager, Axel Hotel Berlin

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (239)
  • Czech first
  • Hebrew first
  • Polish first
Newport Beach, California
Reviewed 30 September 2012

I was supposed to stay 6 nights. I lasted 1 night and couldn’t get out of there fast enough. The website pictures and narrative seriously overstate this property. The Axel is a 3 star hotel at best. Black ceilings, black walls, dark carpet = dark rooms which are incredibly small. The rooms ( I had a superior room) have no closets, no desks, no counter space, no ventilation (central AC that they don’t turn on), and little light. It’s like a cave and smells like one too. Worse yet, the hotel is on a main street so you get all the noises of every bus, truck, etc. The rooms on the back of the hotel get the direct afternoon sun and are like saunas. This place is wildly overpriced – they charge at least double what it’s worth. The room cleaners look like homeless people. The staff are hired for their appearance, not their brains. When I complained about the stuffy room, the staff said it was cool outside. I had to remind him that I was not sleeping outside. Cute and stupid. If you’re looking for a decent hotel, go elsewhere. If you must stay here, you’ll need to accept getting ripped off. They’re more than happy to take your money. Just do yourself a favor and don’t prepay so you can leave early as I did. I found plenty of other much nicer hotels in the neighborhood in better and more quiet locations for less than half the price. I’ll never stay at an Axel again.

Room Tip: Get a room elsewhere
  • Stayed September 2012, travelled solo
2 Thank William-NB
AxelhotelBerlin, Geschäftsführer at Axel Hotel Berlin, responded to this review, 1 October 2012
Dear William-NB, first of all i like to thank you to choose our Hotel during your recent stay in Berlin. I m really sorry that we didnt met your expectation in our Hotel. Design is like many things a question of personal taste.
In our Homepage you have enough pictures from all our rooms, that you get already a feeling how the Design will be in the Hotel. That can`t be a surprise and you can see really easy that the Maincolor in our Hotel will be black. The rooms self have a size of 20m2 which is more less regular for a City Hotel in our segment. Let me point out City Hotel. i Think you choose also the Hotel for the location and that you are in the middle of everything. We are also giving this information in our Web Page. So please let me ask you. What do you expect from a Hotel in the middle of the capital of Germany?? I guess everybody can imagine that it can be a bit noise.
Our Air Condition is working also fine for European Standard. You stay with us during a time where the temperature was around 12-14C this is not really hot and the Air Condition is not working here because it is not necessary.
We respect our guests so we ask for some respect about our staff and the working people around the world, doesn`t matter what kind of job they are doing.
Best regards, Oliver Boehme, General Manager, Axel Hotel Berlin
Tel aviv
Reviewed 28 September 2012

We got a fair price and when we arrived we received an upgrade to a suite
The suite is Amazing
The reception given excellent service
Very nice spa area
Excellent location
Concept Hotel, A matter of taste - We loved

• Stayed September 2012, travelled as a couple
Dear buiumb, thank you so much for your great review here on Tripadvisor and that you choose the Axel Hotel during your recent stay in Berlin. We try always to offer the best and individual guest service. It is also nice to see that we won you already as a regular guest. We are all looking forward to welcoming you in the near future. Best regards, Oliver Boehme, General manager, Axel Hotel Berlin
Dublin, Ireland
Reviewed 28 September 2012

My first time in this Hotel. Had a really enjoyable experience. The service was very friendly. The roof has nice views and you can relax and enjoy the sun. The room layouts are nice with interesting features such as an open shower and a "please disturb" signs!! The only downside is there are no wardrobes in the rooms but overall I like this Hotel, would recommend it and will certainly go back!

• Stayed October 2011
Dear Samlo2087, first of all i like to thank you for to choose the Axel Hotel during your recent stay in Berlin and i like to thank you for your nice words in your review here on Tripadvisor. It is always important to get a feedback from our guest. Me and my Team we are all looking forward to welcoming you in the near future. I wish you all the best and send my regards from Berlin, Oliver Boehme, General Manager, Axel Hotel Berlin
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 27 September 2012

If you're looking for a regular hotel stay then go somewhere else. The rooms and corridors are a bit dark, yes, but you get used to them after a couple of hours. Service is good; the rooms are clean and the staff is as friendly as it gets. Spa on the 6th floor could be bigger but if it's sunny and empty then the outdoor jacuzzi is where you need to be. If the cleaner is not around you can have a drink and smoke. The gym is a bit of a joke so if you're a musculoca be warned. WiFi doesn't always work - they have a limited number of users on their contract so you might have to wait a bit if you're visiting on a busy weekend. Location is OK - close to Tiergarten and the Culture Forum, and all the Schonenberg bars.

• Stayed August 2012, travelled with friends
Dear Pau R, thank you so much for your nice review here on Tripadvisor and that you choose our Hotel during your stay in Berlin. I really like your comment:"If you're looking for a regular hotel stay then go somewhere else" and you really point it out. Me and my Team we are always trying to offer the best and individual guest service. I m happy to hear already that you like to come back and we are all looking forward to welcoming you again. Best regards, Oliver Boehme, General Manager, Axel Hotel Berlin
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 27 September 2012

I am astonished at 'genious44' as I found the room reasonably large (tho` there should be more shelf/cupboard space, especially if two are sharing the room), wonderful shower-room (and who cares about the lack of a door - who`s looking, & who cares anyway!), and the most comfortable bed I`ve slept in for ages: I enjoyed long hours of uninterrupted sleep. Is the hotel expensive? I can`t compare it with other Berlin hotels but after Berlin I stayed in the Novotel at Aachen and that was both expensive and noisy. The great advantage of a gay hotel is the absence of howling and badly-behaved children - and I find heterosexual couples are noisier in general. Axel dscribes itself as 'hetero-friendly': I wouldn`t worry if it was exclusively gay male.
The only criticisms I have are that the room was not as clean as it could be and that there was evidence of a cursory approach to cleaning (I was there for seven nights), and that I had to complain about the volume of the music at breakfast - I also disliked the choice as I have an intense aversion to 'rap' and its associated styles, but that is a personal opinion.
I would recommend this hotel to any person without a family (gay/straight) as the staff are friendly and helpful, the breakfasts are good, and I adored the black, gold and red decoration (how Germanic!). Just sort out the cleanliness, turn the volume down and I`ll award five stars!
Julian (London)

Room Tip: I don`t really have any tips, as although my room overlooked a main road, the double-glazing made it...
  • Stayed August 2012, travelled with friends
Dear Julian S, first of all i like to thank you for your to choose the Axel Berlin as your Hotel in Berlin and i like to thank you for your review here on Tripadvisor as well. Good comments are important for us but as well it is always nice to get suggestions to improve our guestservice. I will figuer out what happend with the Housekeeping during your stay and i have to say sorry already for the inconvenience. I hope we will see you in the near future. For the moment i wish you all the best and send my regards from Berlin, Oliver Boehme, General Manager, Axel Hotel Berlin
Zurich, Switzerland
Reviewed 25 September 2012

The room is ridiculously small, the bathroom is not convenient at all. No door from the bathroom to the room.
The bed is very hard
Very expensive for Berlin, there are other hotels few steps away with better rooms and less expansive.
It is using its "gay" attitude to rip off gays.
No atmosphere in the hotel, very impersonnal

• Stayed September 2012, travelled as a couple
AxelhotelBerlin, Geschäftsführer at Axel Hotel Berlin, responded to this review, 26 September 2012
Dear genious44, first of all i like to thank you as well to choose the Axel Hotel Berlin for your recent stay and i like to take the time to write a review on Tripadvisor even it is not the best one for us. But suggestions are also important for us like a really good review.
Our rooms are 20m2 big and have a regular size for a City Hotel. In generell we are only getting positive comments about our Beds and the guest are really happy. We gave also many times the contact adress from the company because like to buying the same beds. But i think in terms of Beds it is always a question of personal taste and always depend what you like.

Regarding the rate, there is nothing in our mind to rip of gays. Not at all. We are gay as well so why i have to try to play them. You stay with us in a completly Business month with three big fairs in the City. We are doing a normal Business and selling for a corparative rate like all Hotels doing it in the whole world. It will be difficult for you because you came over for leisure, but i have to react for the actual Business in the City.
If you check during the year we are having always really good promotions and special Deals, but the September is a totally Business Month in Berlin.
Anyway, it would be nice if you like to give us another chance or try also one of our Sister Hotels in the future.
For the meanwhile i whish you all the best and send my Regards from Berlin, Oliver Boehme, General Manager, Axel Hotel Berlin