“Fantastic hotel, great all round experience.”
Review of The Circus Hotel

The Circus Hotel
Ranked #9 of 635 Hotels in Berlin
Reviewed 10 February 2014

It is easy to see why this hotel is No. 1 and continues to win awards year after year.
We have just returned from a weeks stay and was really impressed on all fronts. The central location is great and the room ( a junior suite) was large, individually decorated and very comfortable with a well appointed bathroom sporting the biggest shower I've ever seen in a hotel room. We also had a inside room overlooking the courtyard. As previous reviewers have mentioned, the real jewel in the crown for this hotel is the staff. They were all, without exception helpful, friendly and eager to please. From recommendation for places to visit to simple things like always ensuring you had a drink (or two) to keep you going when they were closing the bar. All in all a great experience and would definitely stay again.

Room Tip: Because of its location on a major road intersection. The junior suites on the inside facing the cou...
  • Stayed: January 2014, travelled as a couple
2  Thank whuhowie

Reviewed 8 February 2014

I stayed at the Circus Hotel after reading all the wonderful reviews on Tripadvisor. Well, after staying for two nights, I have to agree with all of the other reviewers! The staff at this hotel was fantastic! They helped me with everything, and I mean everything. They found me an adaptor for my computer, they suggested an amazing restaurant for lunch, they gave me directions to my daughter's apartment, told me where I could buy a few groceries, and more. Plus, they were so pleasant just to chat with and learn about the city. I would like to specifically thank Hugo and Joanna -- your hotel is lucky to have them at the front desk. My room was very clean and comfortable, and I loved the decor too -- very unique. If I am lucky enough to come back to Berlin, I will definitely stay here again.

Room Tip: I asked for a room in the back, because other reviewers had said the front rooms could be noisy. My...
  • Stayed: January 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank RLF90
Reviewed 3 February 2014

We gave just returned from a terrific 3-night stay at the Circus and cannot praise them highly enough. Fantastic, central location, the hotel was well appointed in a very individualistic style and our room was large and very comfortable. Best of all, the staff were friendly, helpful and engaging and are probably the hotels greatest asset.

We only arrived home yesterday and are already looking to book a return visit for later this year! This was my 4th visit to the wonderful city of Berlin and I'm not sure I want to stay anywhere else if I can help it....

Stayed: January 2014, travelled as a couple
3  Thank Mikebhoy74
Reviewed 2 February 2014

After hearing fantastic reviews, me and my husband booked a 3 night stay a few nights ago. From the start the staff could not have been friendlier. When we turned up I had a blister on my heal and asked where I could get a plaster....not a problem....I was promptly handed two! Okay, so there isn't shower gel in the room but you can collect this from reception free of charge. A great way to keep costs low. I was also very impressed by the hotel's magazine which included staff's view of local attractions, from managers to housekeeping to maintenance, all staff had an equal part to play. The hotel does not have a car park to encourage guests to take public transport and with a wide variety including trams. trains, underground on offer it is not a hindrance. The breakfast is basic and healthy and the hotel admit that they don't offer a vast selection as this would be wasteful, but with rolls, cheese, salami, cereals and fruit to name but a few options, this is all you need to start your day. Staff are exceptionally friendly and we felt safe and well looked after throughout our stay. Bed was very comfy and shower fab! We will definitely be back!

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled as a couple
3  Thank Fipri
Reviewed 1 February 2014

Our friends recommended the Circus to us. yet, despite of our high expectations we still had a good surprise. We reserved the suit which was very reasonably priced. The room was spacious and very nicely decorated. The bed was very comfortable and as we asked for the inner rooms we never heard any noise from the nearby street.

The concierge service was the best!! All of them were very helpful and the restaurants they recommended were all a success.
Location was very comfortable, with tram, metro bus and train service were all just near the hotel.

Stayed: January 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 31 January 2014

We spent four nights at the Circus Hotel from 5th to 9th January 2014. We had booked two rooms – a standard twin for our son and nephew and a junior suite with double bed for my husband and myself. There was very little difference in the size of the rooms, both were larger than what we expected for Europe, but fairly basic décor wise.

While we loved staying at the Circus, and found it a very good location, I am surprised that this is the no. 1 hotel on Tripadvisor. There was a single staff member on reception at any one time and the quality of assistance depended very much upon who was on duty. While most of the staff were very helpful, some extremely helpful, a few of them seemed to use their work hours chatting to friends and asking a question felt like an intrusion. As there was only ever one person on duty, there would often be a wait if other people had questions or accounts to settle.

The beds were very comfortable and the windows were able to be opened – which was great as the rooms were very hot, as are all hotels in Europe it seems. While we could turn the heating down, it didn’t seem possible to turn it off totally. The shower was excellent, as was the supplied hairdryer. My husband was very unhappy with the towels, he felt that they were far too small and thin to do their job.

As previously mentioned, toiletries needed to be collected from reception, but that wasn’t a problem. The toiletries we used were of good quality. Tea making facilities were included but no coffee! We got a plunger from reception and some fairly good quality coffee. Milk had to be sourced from the restaurant and unfortunately there was no fridge to keep it cool. They suggested putting it on our window ledge overnight, which worked well. Obviously in summer though, there would be no way of keeping milk cool. We often purchased good quality espresso from the restaurant and took it up to our room. Over our four nights, our plunger was cleaned only once by the room staff, the other times it was simply left dirty for us to clean. This seemed very odd, as the other cleaning was quite good.

We dined in Fabisch, the hotel restaurant for dinner on our first night and for breakfast each morning. Dinner was quite good, but a fairly limited menu, with vegetables non-existent. Again though, this seemed the norm all through our winter trip to Europe. Salad aplenty, but who wants salad with a hearty meal on a cold night?

The famed buffet breakfast was quite good, but not really any better than any continental buffet at the other hotels we stayed at, and I thought it was fairly expensive at Euro 9 each. You are also able to order scrambled eggs for an extra Euro 2.50, which made it a far more substantial breakfast than just the continental version.

Overall it was a fairly good hotel, but I have certainly stayed in better. It is not particularly expensive so it seems you get what you pay for. I would probably try something else if we ever visit Berlin again.

Room Tip: I would think rooms on the street side would be extremely noisy, particularly with window open, whic...
  • Stayed: January 2014, travelled with family
Reviewed 30 January 2014

I was slightly suspicious after all the tripadvisor hype about this place- always reeks a bit. Turns out this is a great place to stay in when in Berlin for a few days. good location between the landmarks and the more off-piste Prenzlauer Berg area which has great bars/ restaurants & galleries.
brilliant beds, best night sleep in a long time. Excellent breakfast and a cosy bar to hang out for a night cap. Live music even!
spotlessly clean & well looked after. Saw the room service taking the beds apart in the morning to hover underneath the slats!

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled with friends