“Great find in a spread out city!”
4 of 5 bubbles Review of nu hotel berlin

nu hotel berlin
Ranked #329 of 634 Hotels in Berlin
Los Angeles, California
“Great find in a spread out city!”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 March 2012

I was having a tough time finding a good hotel in Berlin because the city seemed so spread out and I wasn't sure what part of town I should be on to maximize my time there. I'm a solo female traveler on a budget. So what I typically look for is: WALLET FRIENDLY, safe neighborhood (particularly at night), close to train/mass transit, free wireless internet and my own bathroom. This hotel had it all!!! I arrived early from Brussels and my room wasn't ready. But the front desk said they would rush to get it ready for me and offered me complimentary wine while I waited. I think the gentlemen saw how tired I was from traveling (this was the 3rd stop in my 5 city tour). Within about 30-45 minutes my room was ready. The room was spacious, clean and had everything I needed. I didn't sleep well while there but it had nothing to do with the bed. The bed was comfortable, I think I was starting to get a little sick and was trying to fight it off.

I was still a bit confused by the U/S bahn system when I arrived but after spending less than 5 minutes with the front desk I was on my way. They were incredibly helpful with my travels and all questions I had.

There isn't much in the area as far as sightseeing (O2 World arena) but the train is about a 5 minute walk and a few stops to the city center & most attractions. The hotel is in a very quiet, low profile neighborhood. I saw women out walking with their children and just normal everyday activities going on. I would often return from sightseeing at night and felt 100% comfortable. I walked past a few bars that looked like a good time but was too tired to stop in (and was trying to fight off a cold). The front desk arranged a cab for me since I needed to get to the airport very early in the morning (5AM). No one was at the desk so they told me what do to with my key and packed me a breakfast which I kept in my fridge in the room until it was time to go. I stood outside for about 10-15 minutes waiting for my cab at 4:45AM in the dark and felt completely comfortable.

I found this hotel very last minute after booking a different hotel and I'm glad I did. It was absolutely a great find. It met all the needs I stated above and was very budget friendly!

• Stayed September 2011, travelled solo
7 Thank NJGirlvTheWorld

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room Tips
  • Czech first
  • Polish first
Bury, manchester
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 December 2011

Reading some of the reviews you would think we should never book his place. But i did anyway. We stayed 4th to 7th December 2011. As mentioned its a short walk to both the U and S bahn train services that can get you to all the main places quickly. Breakfast was fine with a good selection of cereals, cold meats and bread, eggs and sausages. Staff, we never experienced any of the poor service mentioned in other reviews - perhaps its all about what attitude we as customers have as well!!!!

The room had all you need, a bed, a TV, a shower and toilet - its a room folks, you sleep there! We could have done with another two days to take in more of the city and will probably come back in spring or summer - and no reason not to stay here.

One tip. We did teh bus tour the first morning which is fine but on the second day we did a walking tour with www.insidertour.com its a 3 1/2 to 4 hour walk with a break and gave us so much more information and knowledge. Its not hard work and i can guarantee your interest will be maintained, plus of course you can ask questions as you wander. They do a number of tours and if we had extra time we woudl have done a couple more - try it instead of the bus and see it all up close.

Room Tip: We were on the first floor, its a quiet stret so no issues.
  • Stayed December 2011, travelled as a couple

• Stayed July 2011, travelled solo
1 Thank rozi509
Wokingham, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 June 2011

Ideal location for walking to the O2 arena and the Berlin Wall East Side Gallery. Also very quick links to central Berlin via nearby S-Bahn and U-Bahn station.
Surprisingly spacious room, comfortable and clean. Good buffet breakfast that included hot and cold food - set us up well for a day's sight-seeing.
Quiet and relaxing neighbourhood. Friendly, helpful staff, all of whom spoke good English.
We want to go back to Berlin soon and would definitely stay here again.

• Stayed June 2011, travelled as a couple
3 Thank Automorph
Edinburgh, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 February 2011

Nice hotel, tucked away in a quiet location. Close to a nice area with lots of "local bars" which is a good thing in a city the size of Berlin, and they all served amazing food at good prices. It's around 10 minutes walk to 2 train stations. The continental breakfast was 5 euros extra per person, but we were glad we went with it. You got everything from cereals and pastry's to sausages and scrambled egg.
After three visits to Berlin, this was by far the best hotel, and the best location. I can't wait until my next visit to Berlin, and yes, I will stay at the Nu Hotel.

(only con - the website we booked through said free internet. This is not the case as it came with a small charge)

PS The staff were lovely - very friendly and helpful!

• Stayed February 2011, travelled as a couple
Brighton, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 January 2011

We arrived earlier than check in and the very friendly staff were more than happy to look after our cases.
The hotel is about 5 mins walk from the train station and if anyone is going to the O2 Centre it is about 15mins walk away.
The bedroom / bathroom were very clean and tidy and because bedrooms face on to an inner courtyard, a totally silent night was enjoyed.
The breakfast at 6euros was probably the best we have experienced for a while. Lots of fresh fruit / yoghurts / cereals / eggs and sausages plus continental breakfast choices. Lovely choice of hot drinks, which were topped up as required by the very attentive staff.
Supermarket a few mins walk away and plenty of cafes / restaurants locally.

• Stayed January 2011, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Pammi0203
Bracknell, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 January 2011

Thoroughly recommended, especially the large single loft rooms. Based on the price and location I really cannot praise this hotel highly enough.

• Stayed January 2011