Vienna House Andel's Berlin
US$151
US$117
Agoda.com
2,750 results
All reviewssky bartram stoplandsberger alleegreat hotels bahnpublic transportdvd playermodern hotelalexander platzspa facilitiesmini barbig hotelschonefeld airporttop floorwalk in showerbuffet breakfastspent nights
Reviewed 21 December 2012

The ANDEL'S Hotel in Berlin in only 4 years old and beautifully appointed. Staff were excellent throughout.When the four of us arrived we were upsold an executive package which gave us use of a 5th floor lounge - very convenient for two couple to socialise. The lounge provided us with a hot and cold buffet breakfast, hot and cold drinks all day long (including beer and cider), and after 1800 a choice of wines, soup, and a cold buffet. In the week before Christmas they even provided gluhwein all at no extra cost (Each couple was charged 30 euros a day).
The hotel also has a spa (the reason we chose it) with jacuzzi, sauna and steam room. We loved the fact that it was a proper German spa (costumes not allowed in saunas and not necessary elsewhere in the spa).
The hotel is out of the centre but the excellent public transport system was within yards of the front door and the sightseeing bus did a special pick up at the hotel at 10.15 am every day.
The fine dining restaurant Choices was superb, with a choice of 4 courses for 49 euros.
We would definitely recommend it and would love to go back.

Room Tip: They have a lounge for smokers on 6th floor, with cigar sales included
  • Stayed: December 2012, travelled with friends
Reviewed 19 December 2012

I booked a pre-Christmas break here through Lastminute. The hotel is a litte distant from the city centre but the package included a travel pass, and the hotel is a stone's throw from the S-bahn station and the tramline. Reception was polite and efficient, room was very comfortable with a huge bed and swish bathroom, which had a walk-in shower as well as a bath. The breakfast buffet had vast amounts of choice. The sky-bar maintained its air of sophistication even whilst serving me my bedtime hot chocolate. All in all, a good find.

Room Tip: On check-in I was asked whether I'd prefer a smoking or a non-smoking room and I was allocated a room overlooking the internal courtyard, which meant that it was exceptionally quiet. The hotel is on a very busy road/tramline/railway, although noise didn't seem to be an issue in the breakfast room, which overlooked them.
  • Stayed: December 2012, travelled solo
Reviewed 19 December 2012

I went for andel's Hotel Berlin as it appeared to meet my budget-private bathroom-transport links criteria...

I purchased my Berlin WelcomeCard (Zones ABC, 5 days for 35,90€ - price going up) at Schönefeld Airport and was reminded by the shop attendant that I should validate it on the platform. After a short-yet-lengthy walk to the Bahnhof (train station), I found the machine with 'Hier entwerten' on it and validated my little ticket. My train (S9) departed on time from Platform 13, just as indicated on the bvg.de website when I planned my journey. I was deeply thankful that the ticket inspector nodded at my ticket when he appeared (out of nowhere), 4 minutes into the journey. A fellow passenger (non-native) then had to deal with this inspector's rather gruff and unforgiving manner in a German-English exchange with the one claiming ignorance of the need to validate the ticket he had purchased and the other demanding he pay on the spot. The train journey lasted just over half an hour, and I alighted at 'Landsberger Allee'. Once out of the station, I glimpsed the building with stylised 'andel's' on it and headed for the hotel. Tip: There are several exits, but if you aim for the tram, you should be able to navigate to desired destination easier, using the famous Ampelmann to get there (i.e. pedestrian crossing green man - *no jaywalking please*).

I arrived a good few hours before 3pm check-in so wanted to leave my luggage and wander round Alexanderplatz. Thankfully, this was possible! I was warmly greeted by a receptionist who offered me an upgrade (not gratis/necessary to me so I declined) and got the porter to tag and take my suitcase so I was free to roam the city.

Upon my return, I collected my luggage and obtained a keycard; the latter needs to be swiped in the elevator prior to keying in floors where there are rooms so in principle only guests/authorised staff have access to them. I appreciate that concern for security, particularly as I went there solo.

I'd describe the decor as modern, clean, colourful and very corporate. Another factor in choosing this hotel was internet access which is free. I was wary about usage, having read up on hotel services+charges in the booklet they provided in my room and double checked with two members of staff. The free option covered my needs; I simply opened the internet browser on my laptop, selected 'free' (kostenlos), and logged in with name and room number.

I had a Deluxe twin room on the second floor with air-con and a flat-screen TV (standard methinks). When entering the room, I just placed the keycard in the little holder so it'd be the let-there-be-light switch. My bathroom was first left, but I walked straight into the room to draw the curtains and the view... nothing to be seen. Really, was not worth looking out the window from my room! So I went back to exploring the room. It was spacious with comfy beds, large glass desk with chair, a revolving armchair and pouffe.

I *loved* my bathroom. It was clean, and that is what matters most to me; the design was a bonus. I had a bathtub and shower + WC area with two doors for entry and separated by glass. I like the hotel's interior design; though it may not be to everyone's taste, I think cleanliness wins the day. Toiletries were also provided and the rooms are thoroughly cleaned every day, or partially, depending on what message the guest leaves on the door (in essence: do not disturb/please clean) or in the bathroom with towels on the floor/rail (replace me/leave me). I don't watch much telly, but I flicked through a few channels and quite liked the fact that the sound comes through in the bathroom.

It took a bit of secret agent style patting of walls before I found the closet which I was sure must exist. It contained hangers, a tea/coffee maker, slippers, the (laptop-friendly) safe (this also worked in andel's' favour when I was hotel-searching) and a mini-fridge with tantalising treats within and without (charges detailed in booklet provided). Good thing is that you can use the fridge for your own purchases; precisely what I did after shopping at nearby supermarket Aldi (literally round the corner, just past the petrol/gas station); also of note: the souvenir shop on the hotel's ground floor if you ever need it.

Breakfast is included in the room rate and I partook of it on most mornings during my stay. I got to the breakfast room/s, via the impressive white staircase to the left of the reception desk. They had a good spread for the breakfast buffet, even when I went up just before the end. I wouldn't say the food was amazing and tasty, but it was good enough to get me going for the day of exploration ahead.

All the people I came across were courteous, helpful and polite. The hotel cleaning staff spoke to me in English; my check-out happened in German and I made it through unscathed!

The immediate surroundings of the hotel were unimpressive. I do really like the wider area of East Berlin though: Friedrichshain/Prenzlauer Berg – a bit rough, mix of cultures, lots of history, youth, trendy & quirky all at the same time. Despite the superabundance of meats I don't eat (so no I didn't have any Currywurst), I was able to find food at my local Turkish kebab shop and other cafés and restaurants further afield. The transport links are great so I had no issues in that area and used public transport every time. Tip for the MetroTram: be sure to alight at 'Landsberger Allee/Petersburger Straße' (rather than just 'Landsberger Allee'), unless, like me, you *want* to have a good brisk walk all the way back to your hotel!

Based on my experience, I'd say that andel's are living up to their appearances. They score highly in my book for cleanliness (I didn't look under the bed for fear of shattering the dream) and in terms of value for money... A truly delightful stay for a solo first-timer in Berlin!

• Stayed: November 2012, travelled solo
6  Thank KokoRachelle
Reviewed 16 December 2012

Just returned from a trip to Berlin & stayed 5 nights in andels hotel. Really lovely hotel standard rooms quite large & well equipped, heating system is really good as you set it yourself. Had a problem with shower (wet room became a bit too wet room) but was upgraded to a junior suite, fabulous views. Sky Bar good but drinks a bit too expensive. The cocierge, Micheal or Sebastien knew their stuff & were really helpful. We also booked the Airport transfer through the hotel, O.K it was dearer than a Taxi by a few euros but the lady driver, Jordana, was a delight, very knowledgeable & excellent english..
Transport was right outside the hotel, with trams for local or trains & the underground for further afield. Would definately use this hotel again.

Room Tip: To be honest the rooms we saw were excellent.
  • Stayed: December 2012, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 14 December 2012

Really pleased with this hotel. I was worried at first that we'd be too far away from the centre but the transport links from here are really good and reliable. It took about 25/30 mins from Tegel airport to Landsberger Allee s-bahn station which is in front of the hotel. There is also a tram that takes you to Alexander Platz in 10 mins (take the M5 or M6) and you never have to wait long. The tram stops directly in front of the hotel.

The hotel is great, modern, bright, reception staff were friendly. Breakfast was good and varied. Our room was on the 4th floor that faced the city where we could see the tv tower. The s-bahn track runs alongside the hotel but we did not notice any noise when trains went past. The room and bathroom was large and clean with everything you might need.

Great stay in Berlin, fantastic city and could not recommend this hotel enough!

Stayed: December 2012, travelled as a couple