“Amazing value hotel, superb location and great service!” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Hotel AMANO

Hotel AMANO
Ranked #78 of 633 Hotels in Berlin
Worcester, United Kingdom
“Amazing value hotel, superb location and great service!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 February 2013 via mobile

This was a fabulous base for a few days in Berlin. The staff were so friendly and always on hand to help. The rooms were clean and modern. The breakfasts were delicious and I would definitely stay again. We ventured up to the roof terrace which I imagine is incredible in summer and we also hired bikes through the hotel and cycled around Berlin. Just perfect!

• Stayed December 2012
amanoberlin, Manager at Hotel AMANO, responded to this review, 21 February 2013
Dear vintage1979,
nice that you were with us and enjoyed the experience. I also thank you for the great review. My team and I look forward to your next stay at the AMANO.
Best regards from Berlin,
Corinna Schuster

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (136)
  • Finnish first
  • Hebrew first
  • Polish first
  • Thai first
  • Turkish first
Biot, France
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 February 2013

Perfect location in the lively and yound and interesting area of Hackesche Höfe, very nice atmosphere with lounge music, beautiful architecture, nice and quite rooms, rooftop bar, very fríendly and excellent breakfast. I loved the stay of 2 days, wish it was longer.

Room Tip: I was on the fifth floor, very quite and nice view with the "Alex" in the distance
  • Stayed February 2013, travelled on business
amanoberlin, Manager at Hotel AMANO, responded to this review, 17 February 2013
Hello garantido,
I would like to thank you for the great review and am delighted that you like the AMANO in the style and design. We are always striving to improve more odds and ends in the service and design. We are looking forward on proposals! My team and I look forward to your next stay with us.
London
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 February 2013

The staff at Hotel Amano were polite, professional and friendly. There's an uber cool bar to the side of the check-in desk.

Good use of space considering our bedroom was small. The room has a shower cubicle rather than a separate bathroom. The door is all glass, so make sure you're comfortable with the person you're sharing with as they'll be able to see you in the shower, if they're looking... that said, the cubicle is big enough for 2, so why stare!

Dislikes: in the bedroom, they have twin beds pushed together pretending to be doubles and I didn't like the fact that smoking is allowed in the bar.

Room Tip: As of December 2012, there's a lot of construction going on, so ask for a room on the other oppo...
  • Stayed December 2012, travelled with friends
amanoberlin, Manager at Hotel AMANO, responded to this review, 4 February 2013
Dear xbisou,
Thanks for the assessment of yourstay with us, for the time which you have raised for it and of course thanks that you was our guest. Yes our BAR is a smoker´s bar and Berliners and hotel guests like the AMANO Bar. To offer a platform also to non-smokers, we have built last year an other bar in the lobby. Of cours we offer king size beds and also twin bedded rooms. Please, inform us with the reservation. I would be glad to welcome you once more with us.
Kind regards from AMANO,
Brisbane, Australia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 February 2013

Great hotel and amazing staff. My sister and I stayed here just after New Years for 4 nights and she was very sick so we ended up spending a lot of time inside the hotel. Rooms were a little small but were very nice and the bathroom was 5 star. I couldn't thank Nadia and Joey enough! They were extremely helpful, best service I received in our entire month travelling throughout Europe! They even organised and ordered take away food from a nearby restaurant for dinner one night and had it delivered to our room as we couldn't leave the hotel! Loved the breakfast food on offer, the overall hotel is amazing and we would absolutely stay here again.

• Stayed January 2013, travelled with family
amanoberlin, Manager at Hotel AMANO, responded to this review, 3 February 2013
Hi C M,
thanks for the great feedback about your stay at the AMANO. Gladly, I pass the praise to the reception staff. It is really nice to read that you like the AMANO and you had a great stay. I hope to welcome you soon again with us.
Palma de Mallorca, Spain
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 31 January 2013

Upon entering the hotel lobby you get the impression that this is going to be a really cool, contemporary hotel with touches of jazzy flair. This is certainly true for the lobby, restaurant and bar areas, but once you get to the rooms this slightly changes. The rooms are a bit on the small side and fairly basic. The shower and sink are built into the room, with a separate toilet. When you are actually in the shower there is a huge mirror opposite which feels a bit strange (but you get used to it after a while). Service is polite throughout the hotel, especially in the bar, although BEWARE! It is possible to smoke in there and can be a nuisance if you come from a non-smoking country. Overall, a pleasant stay... I wouldn't say that it is the best value for money but you won't have an unpleasant experience should you wish to stay here.

• Stayed January 2013, travelled on business
amanoberlin, Manager at Hotel AMANO, responded to this review, 3 February 2013
Hello djmccreedy,
I thank to you for the feedback to your stay with us. It is a pity that you have liked only the public areas and the rooms less. Besides, our guests like that. We have rooms with the open bath solution, however, also rooms with quite normal bathroom. For a longer stay we recommend a flatlet. These are more spacious. Maybe you come once more to the Amano and do test another room?
Best regards from AMANO,
Island of Anglesey, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 January 2013

My boyfriend and I travelled to Berlin to celebrate my 30th birthday from Monday to Friday. After reading the reviews of Hotel Amano's room size, he had phoned ahead to check if we could upgrade to an apartment and we were pleasantly surprised on our arrival that they had done so at no extra cost as they knew we were celebrating my birthday. I was very impressed with this and the fact that the very pleasant receptionist had wished me a happy birthday.

The apartment is a large double room, with a full bathroom. There is also a table and chairs, TV, fridge and a mini kitchen. Everything was clean. If you go in winter, you may wish to ask for an extra blanket as I found it cold. The other option is to leave the heating on all night.

After settling in the room, we had a drink in the lobby and the barman was kind enough to recommend us somewhere to eat. I can highly recommend the cocktails, for about 10-15 euros - but well worth it. (I love cocktails!) There is also a choice of wine and beers. The lighting in the hotel is very low and ambient, with low level funky house music. This gives it a chilled-out feel. The bar to the right of the reception offers more choice of cocktails but the barman in the lobby goes in there to get your drinks so I'm sure you could order from the cocktail menu in there (there is a massive choice of all the spirits imaginable as well). The reason you may wish to drink in the lobby is that smoking is permitted in the larger bar. The lobby bar closed at 8 when we were there.

We arrived in Berlin in the snow and after working out what platform to get the train from at the airport. We got off the DB train at Alexanderplatz and then got the U (underground) to Rosenthaler Platz. We then walked in the direction of the TV tower and the hotel is on the left. (You could also get off one stop earlier at Weinmeister Strasse and walk up to the hotel as it's the same distance).

The hotel is very convenient and in a great area, especially for young couples. Lots of bars and restaurants around the immediate area as well as cool vintage shops and boutiques (I love quirky shops). If you walk down towards Hackescher Markt there are plenty of shops and restaurants as well as a cool market on a Thursday (with lots of handmade products such as clothes, handbags, sweets etc) I believe there is also one on a Saturday.

Another bonus about this hotel was that the breakfast was great. Plenty to chose from and delicious. I loved the muesli with nuts and seed toppings, scrambled eggs and fresh pumpkin seed rolls. My boyfriend liked the frikadellen (meatballs) and the coffee was delish too. Breakfast is served until 11ish so plenty of time to get up and ready. You may wish to put the 'do not disturb sign' on your door handle every night though, as the cleaners are very eager. One actually walked in (without knocking) about 9am when we were still in bed, this was a bit shocking as we thought we'd locked the door.

Our favourite meals were at the Amano's sister hotel - HOTEL MANI, up the road on Torstrasse (there are flyers at the Amano), and Transit, which was only a couple of doors up from the hotel. Yum!

Thank you Amano for a great stay - exactly what the type of hotel I was hoping for.

Room Tip: Go for the apartment! Front of hotel is a bit noisy though, we were above the entrance on the second...
  • Stayed January 2013, travelled as a couple
amanoberlin, Manager at Hotel AMANO, responded to this review, 9 February 2013
Dear Gwen P,
oh, many thanks for the detailed description and appraisal of your stay at AMANO and of course that you were our guests. I am glad very much that you could enjoy the 30-th birthday. Through this assessment, visitors will get a very accurate impression of us. Many thanks for it. I and my team already look forward to your next stay at the AMANO.
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 January 2013

Great location in Mitte. Restaurants and boutiques on your doorstep.
Standard rooms are tiny. If you are a couple then request a room with a bath instead of a shower for more shelf space, or pay the extra for an apartment for a lot more space!

Shame they still allow smoking in the building - you can smell it in the lift and the hallways.

Room Tip: Fourth floor is quieter. Request a non smoking room. Worth getting an apartment for extra space if y...
  • Stayed January 2013, travelled as a couple
amanoberlin, Manager at Hotel AMANO, responded to this review, 29 January 2013
Hello Tash-back-pack,
thank you for the time invested in the assessment and of course that you was our guest. Nice that you like the AMANO. We still have a smoking floor, because we would like to meet as far as possible all wishes. But lift or corridors may not smell of smoke, of course! Here, we will do something. I look forward to welcoming you again with us.
Best regards from AMANO,