“Great hotel for a great price”
Review of Hotel AMANO

Hotel AMANO
Ranked #121 of 635 Hotels in Berlin
Reviewed 2 August 2014

The room was clean and very up to date. The beds were very comfy and the staff at the front desk were very knowledgeable. The location of the hotel was superb, being nice and close to many great restaurants, close to the metro station to travel anywhere in town. Only complaint was the hallway smelled of smoke, but our room did not so it did not bother enough to drop a star. Lastly, the hotel price was awesome, costing us only $84 CAD a night. Thanks for the wonderful stay.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple
Corinna S, Manager at Hotel AMANO, responded to this reviewResponded 4 August 2014

Dear Scott S,

Thank you so much for your kind note - I am happy to hear that you enjoyed staying with us. IN regards to the hallways smelling of smoke I already checked on it and found the challenge and a possibility to solve this problem.

I wish you all the best and I am looking forward to welcoming you soon again.

Corinna Schuster

Write a ReviewReviews (1,732)

Reviewed 1 August 2014 via mobile

I stayed here for 3 nights with my brother and Mum. The hotel is situated just 3 mins walk from Rosenthaler Platz underground tram stop which is only 2 stops from Alexanderplatz (the main tram/train hub). All tourist attractions were within easy reach by tram. We got a 72 hour train/tram pass for €27 each from the tourist info centre at Schonefeld Airport which was brilliant and covered all of Berlin. The hotel is clean, modern and gives a sense of style without being snooty. The staff are amazing, always smiling and happy to help with any enquiry. The only downside was that I was sharing a twin room with my brother and given the very open plan layout of the rooms, one of us had to leave the room whilst the other showered. Despite this however, I would still stay here again and recommend the Amano highly because everything else was faultless!

• Stayed: July 2014
1  Thank 92,716,173,905

Dear 92716173905,

Thank you for your kind feedback - I am more than happy to hear that you enjoyed staying with us and will pass your note to my employees. In regards to the bathroom - just let us know about your next stay and we will be delighted to book another room for your where the bathroom situation is more intimate.

Reviewed 26 July 2014

We stayed here for three nights, it is a very nice hotel, close to station and a short walk to good restaurants and cafes, clean, very helpful and friendly staff, breakfast was great with enough variety, value of money,

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank AussieCloggi
Corinna S, Manager at Hotel AMANO, responded to this reviewResponded 30 July 2014

Dear AussieCloggi,

Thank you for your kind feedback. I am happy to hear that you enjoyed staying with us and I am looking forward to welcoming you soon again.

Best wishes,

Reviewed 15 July 2014

I had an overnight stay at one of the Amano's apartments and was very positively surprised. The room was spacious and well equipped, the bathroom huge. Though my room did overlook the street, on the 5th floor i was not bothered by the trams passing by.
The hotel has a great rooftop terrace and a nice bar, appreciated by the local Mitte crowd. I will definitely recommend this hotel to my friends who want to stay in the very middle of the Mitte district to enjoy shopping and going out the area.

Room Tip: Rooms overlooking the street can be noisy, though top floor was ok.
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled with friends
Corinna S, Manager at Hotel AMANO, responded to this reviewResponded 21 July 2014

Dear Maria P,

Thank you for your kind note and your positive feedback on your stay at our property. I am happy you enjoyed staying at our hotel and am looking forward to welcoming you soon again.

Reviewed 14 July 2014

At first sight this seemed to be quite a smart place to stay, stylish and contemporary with changing art on the lobby walls and cool chill-house lounge music playing softly during check in. After receiving our keys, we asked about the free Wifi password and that´s when things started to go slightly wrong. When we showed them our iPhones, he simply wished us "good luck" with the connection. Apparently either the signal isn´t strong enough to handle all the guests being online at the same time or "it" simply doesnt like foreign Apple products. Needless to say, after several attempts at trying to connect, we gave up and had to data roam for most of the weekend. It wasnt until the monday, after our weekend stay that we finally made a connection. This was very upsetting and irritating that a modern city like Berlin can´t seem to fix whatever bug they have and offer free Wifi to ALL their guests. They admitted that it was quite a common occurrence and our response to that was, "WELL FIX IT THEN!!"
Another huge issue for me, (some might not mind it) was the persistent stale stench of cigarette smoke in most of the common rooms that I find offensive. For the life of me, I cant understand why public places cant ban it once and for all!
Upon checkout we were handed a bill that included a €30 breakfast charge for every day that we were there including the day we checked in which was at 16:00. We only had breakfast the first morning so people, double check your bill before paying.
The positive: The overall price of the room was good value; the location was quite good and we enjoyed the nice touches like a welcome note with a free disposable camera and fortune cookies on the pillow. The hotel was clean and our room was great, up on the fifth floor.
Bottom line: Would I recommend this hotel? I would have to say no. There are so many other cool places to stay in the city, places without these small irritating problems.

Room Tip: If you have an Apple iPhone and dont live in Germany, good luck connecting to their wifi
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled with friends
2  Thank traveljeffOslo

Dear traveljeffOslo,

Thank you for your feedback - I am sorry to hear that you experienced varios challenges during your stay at our property. First of all I would like to, also on behalf of all my employees, excuse myself for all inconveniences caused.

In regards to our problems with the Internet connection I am defenitely aware of the problems and am fixing it with our provider. Nevertheless, I am very sorry you were not assisted the way you should and will talk to the person responsable at our front desk to ensure our guests won't need to experience problems again.

Refering to the smell of smoke you mentioned - I looked into this topic and found the reason of why your room smelled although it has been on the 5th floor, which is a non-smoking floor. There has been a problem with the ventilation which has been fixed by now.

Again my apologies for the inconveniences caused - I hope you give us a second chance at some stage and I would be happy to welcome you soon again.

Reviewed 6 July 2014

Stayed in Berlin for 1 night on a mini stop over! From the airport we took the train and then hoped on the subway (3.60 euro each) which got us about 2 blocks from the hotel. Is a good 1 hour process so to be safe we just took a cab to the airport in the morning (40euro). Hotel reception recommended an amazing German cuisine about 3 block walk - amazing food. The sausage and potato bacon salad is to die for. Restaurant is called sophieneck! Then took a cab to the Berlin wall (11 euro). Had the beaky at the hotel, great selection of bacon, eggs, yogurt, pastries, coffee, drinks, etc, (15 euro). Rooms are extremely spacious and well decorated, we wish we could have spent,ore time in this hotel. Only compliant was the wifi wasn't working when we got there which through a wrench in our stay in plans.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple
Corinna S, Manager at Hotel AMANO, responded to this reviewResponded 7 July 2014

Dear Amanda S,

Thank you for your kind note - I am happy to hear that you enjoyed your stay with us. I am looking forward to welcoming you soon again.

Reviewed 4 July 2014

I've just returned from a 3 night stay at the Amano with my 18 year old daughter. We found our 1st floor room clean and comfortable but the shower facilities weren't private because the shower had a large glass see-through door with a mirrored wall directly opposite! Neither of us liked this. It would've been much better if the washing area in the room wasn't open plan and was more private.

We liked:
Friendly, helpful staff
Clean room
Good location, near to U-Bahn and shops
Small room near Reception containing computers for guest use

We didn't like:
Pillow on the beds - unusual size and no support from them.
No privacy when using shower or wash basin.
Music which we heard all night, appearing to come from the Reception area below us
The areas of the hotel where smoking was allowed.

Rosenthaler Strasse, the main road outside, has very noisy trams running by frequently, so if you stay here you would probably sleep better having a room which doesn't overlook the street.

Overall we didn't spend too much time at the hotel because there is so much to see and do in Berlin, but apart from the things we didn't like about the hotel our time at the Amano is rated as Very Good.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family
4  Thank JRH0403

Dear SunglassesJulie,

Thank you for your kind feedback - I am happy that you enjoyed our stay in general. I am looking forward to welcome you soon again. Please be so kind to contact my Front of House Manager Mr. Butt before your upcoming stay (butt@amanogroup.de) as I would love to make sure to allocate you in the upper levels so you won't get bothered by any noise again. I would also like to ensure that our housekeeping team puts more pillows on the bed so you have an adequate sleep at our property.