“nice”
Review of Hotel AMANO

Hotel AMANO
Ranked #117 of 634 Hotels in Berlin
Reviewed 20 August 2014

Nice hotel in a fun neighbourhood

reception was friendly and efficient, bot on check in and check out.
rooms were smallish, and quiet, even on the street side (one does not hear the tram go by). However no coffee/tea maker etc, but good-sized, modern and clean bathroom.
beds were comfy,

hotel has two bars, roof top terras (which was closed when we were there, but must be really nice) and cocktail lounge ('till early).

For breakfast, I went outside because I prefer that. there are a couple of decent places very close by

Room Tip: even the street side is quiet
  • Stayed: August 2014, travelled with friends
Write a ReviewReviews (1,708)

Reviewed 20 August 2014 via mobile

Stayed at this hotel for three nights. Was greeted politely at check in and although there was a mix up with the names on the booking we were processed quickly & got to our room. The room had the shower in the middle of it - I was travelling with my best friend so one of us just stayed on our bed while the other showered. This wouldn't put me off though as I've since discovered more private showers are available! The wi fi didn't work - this was due to a system problem as we both had I phone 5's. A bit annoying but not a huge problem! A big thank you to our cleaner Denis who communicated with us with little cards & made sure the room was spotless & checked when we would like the room cleaned - very personal service!
People have complained about breakfast - we really enjoyed it! Fresh pineapple, other fruit, fresh fruit salad, yoghurts, croissants, a range of bread, meats, cheese, cereals, bacon and eggs. I saw someone complaining that it was "continental" yes it was... Because it's in Berlin...! Coffee was served in a machine with all types of coffee. Juice, water and tea also available!
Corridors are slightly smoky but we didn't spend a lot of time in them.....
Roof terrace is beautiful! We just took some bottles of water up there and relaxed after sight seeing!
Tube is a short walk - very easy to get to from Tegel airport via the 128 bus to Osloer (check spelling) and then the blue line (U8 I think) to Rosental platz.
I will be coming back to Berlin with my partner and I will be staying here again!

• Stayed: August 2014
Corinna S, Manager at Hotel AMANO, responded to this reviewResponded 3 September 2014

Dear Teacher1983,

Thank you for your positive feedback - I am more than happy to hear that you enjoyed staying with us and will pass your feedback to my team. We are looking forward to welcoming you during your next stay in Berlin and wish you all the best.

Kind regards,

Reviewed 10 August 2014 via mobile

I stayed in 6 hotels across Europe on my latest trip and this was the only one I had a problem with.

This hotel took a $500 so called 'reservation fee' for a prepaid room for 4 nights without my knowledge or even mentioning the fact. When brought to their attention hotel staff had no idea why it was taken and had no paper trail. A day later I was told it was an obligatory 'reservation fee' and they would refund the money. It's been 9 days and after talking to two staff members, sitting on hold for 10 minutes to be hung up on and sending an email which I have still not received a reply from in 3 days I am still $500 down.

As for the hotel itself the rooms were very small but clean and quiet. Had all the basic amenities. The common areas all smelt badly of cigarettes but were nicely decorated. If you do stay here don't get the breakfast. It's more continental and the coffee is awful. Mitte has many nice coffee shops (one even 200m down the street) so for $15 euro p/p you can get a better breaky elsewhere.

I wouldn't recommend staying here if you want transparency from a hotel, I am very disappointed in the lack of professionalism and hopefully they'll bother replying to this review

Stayed: August 2014
8  Thank Geddy W
Corinna S, Manager at Hotel AMANO, responded to this reviewResponded 12 August 2014

Dear Geddy W,

Thank you for your feedback - I am sorry to hear that you did not feel comfortable and would like to excause the inconveniences caused. in regards to the 500$ reservation fee: when you check in we take an ID or a credit card for guarantee, as in everyother hotel. If you give us your credit card, there will be a reservation on the card, but never a direct charge. As soon as you pay at check out with the same card, the reservation of the money will be cancelled automatically. I would like to offer you to cancel the reservation and therefore cancel the money guaranteed on your card - please be so kind to send time and name of your reservation and I will be happy o assist (schuster@amanogroup.de).

Nevertheless, I hope to welcome you soon again.

Reviewed 6 August 2014

The hotel is well situated for sightseeing. The lounge and main rooms are airy .The beds were very comfortable and the room quiet. However, the room was small, very badly designed and with little furniture. The hand basin was in the bedroom which we didn't like. The cupboards were too high to use and the bedside light switches were difficult to reach There were no hooks or shelves in the bathroom and only one shelf in the bedroom beside the basin, not ideal for two females.
The breakfast was poor. Coffee jugs were left on the tables when breakfast started, the fruit salad was tinned and there were very few serving staff to help. There are so many coffee shops around that it is better to eat out. I can recommend The Circus, a few minutes away where a superior breakfast costs a third of the hotel price.

• Stayed: August 2014, travelled with friends
3  Thank nuala70
Corinna S, Manager at Hotel AMANO, responded to this reviewResponded 7 August 2014

Dear nuala,

Thank you for your feedback - I am sorry to hear that you did not like our design and did not feel comfortable in our rooms. We would be happy to welcome you again once you are in Berlin and check, if we do have another categroy for you which better fits your taste.
In regards to our breakfast buffet I will talk to the person responsable to make sure enough staff is around so you and the other guests may not have a bad experience again.

I wish you all the best,

Reviewed 5 August 2014

Stayed here for a second leg of our week long trip. This area is full to the brim of bars, restaurants and places to go. Well connected by public transport, good WiFi and a lovely roof top bar. Especially enjoyed the Foosball. Rooms are small but the hotel offers a good and stylish base at a reasonable price and the staff are really friendly.

Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple
2  Thank kitdeluca

Dear kitdeluca,

Thank you for your kind feedback - I am happy to hear that you enjoyed staying with us and that you had a good time in Berlin.

I am looking forward to welcoming you soon again.

Reviewed 4 August 2014 via mobile

Nice hotel with modern but small rooms. Too bad you cannot diner or lunch in the hotel and that there's no pool but it has a nice rooftop/terras with expensive cocktails :D. Good service and location. A bit noisy outside due to maintance in the street.

Stayed: September 2013, travelled as a couple
Corinna S, Manager at Hotel AMANO, responded to this reviewResponded 5 August 2014

Dear Ben V,

Thank your for your feedback - I am happy you enjoyed your stay with us. If you are interested in lunch or dinner during your next stay, just let us know and we book a beautiful table for you at our MANI Restaurant just around the corner, where you may experience a culinary trip from Tel Aviv to Paris.

Reviewed 3 August 2014

This is a lovely hotel, situated in our favourite part of Berlin. We were there for our wedding anniversary and emailed in advance asking for a quiet room and they were kind enough to put us in an apartment on the 5th floor. It was very quiet even if you wanted a lie in after a very late night in the clubs. We didn't notice the smoke that others have complained about and the free wifi worked perfectly on our ipad. The breakfast was nice too and served for most of the morning which suits both early and late risers. The best thing about this place though is its perfect location. There are really nice bars and restaurants nearby and it's close to the underground if you need it (though we walked everywhere). Am really glad we chose to stay here and we will definitely be back.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Anna186394
Corinna S, Manager at Hotel AMANO, responded to this reviewResponded 4 August 2014

Dear Anna186394,

Thank you for your positive feedback - I am delighted you enjoyed staying with us and that we could be part of a all around nice time and memory of your wedding anniversary.

I am looking forward to welcoming you soon again.
Best wishes,