“My favourite hotel!”

Ranked #111 of 634 Hotels in Berlin
GreenLeadersBronze level
“My favourite hotel!”
Reviewed 23 July 2014

This must be my all time favourite hotel!
A lot of humor is a red tread in this hotel, from all the cuckoo clocks in the reseption area to "The big Lebowski" on loop on TV. The lounge in the reseption is a perfect place to take a drink and just "people watch". Good music and drinks. Our room was fun as well, I think we got the smallest room they`ve got but that didn`t matter to us since we just stayed a couple of days. (and also the hotel was fully booked, I really understand that!)
A see-trough window to the shower was a funny detail. If you are to friends sharing a room I guess it will be better with a bigger room.

The backyard was a fairytale, real romantic feeling. We had dinner both nights in the resturant, the food was SO good! Small details as homemade herb butter and different kinds of salt. The waitresses gave us good service and the wine was good. Breakfast was awesome, with small "tokens" as payment. We had a giggle all through our stay, and next time in Berlin we are going to stay here again! We felt we didn`t need to go anywhere else than the hotel :-) (we drove, they have a parking on the backside)
Location is also good, straight above the Berlin wall.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (139)
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
Guelph, Canada
Reviewed 22 July 2014

We had high expectations for this hotel, but were pretty disappointed. It was like staying in a ok hostel but paying for a nice hotel - definitely the vibe of the place is cool, but it is hipster in a snobby way not in an authentic way. The hallways are left deliberately grungy, the rooms were deliberately worn down...I don't mind a small room AT ALL but it felt like they tried to overplay it. Our view was to the west - a garbage collection facility...

My biggest peeve with this hotel is snobbiness of it - they deliberately put the check-in desk in such a way that you need to walk through the bar/lounge (which is its own attraction) to be able to get to the desk. That is fine, even cool. But then I tried to go in one night with an apple juice in my hand and was told by the bouncer that I couldn't bring drinks in. I said I was a guest of the hotel, and he told me they were supposed to tell me they didn't want outside drinks coming in to the hotel - THE HOTEL. (If I start to rant, I should say that I need to bring outside drinks in because the coconut water they complimentary provide is horrid, but that would be cruel). Anyway, I thought that was downright ridiculous, and not only because of the policy but because they have a totally functional entrance to the hotel area that they could use but lock and purposefully divert you through the bar! So I mean, come on..

But credit where credit is due - this location is excellent. You could not be closer to the big 3: U-bahn, S-bahn, and tram stations literally right outside your door. There is a great cafe with friendly staff right next door for coffee, snacks, and beer. The east side gallery is steps away, and there are great cafes and restaurants on the other side of the river.

If this was a hostel and cheaper, I would be raving, but I thought the attitude and price of the place did not match what was being offered. If you get a great price though it would definitely be worth it for the great location and easy access to public transport (also I am told a lot of celebrities and bands stay here, so its cool if you want to people watch). But seriously, don't drink the coconut water...

• Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank 122Courtney
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 21 July 2014

We'd booked 2 rooms months ago, arrived on Thursday to find they did not have 2 rooms but they could accommodate all 4 of us in a bunk bed room for 1 night but we would have to be out in the morning and wait until 3pm for our new rooms to be ready. They sent the cleaner knocking from 8am and kept persisting until I went to the front desk to ask them to stop.(no phones in the room so hard to complain plus the they don’t seem to answer the main line very frequently!). and then we ended up having to wait until 5pm before our new rooms were ready so we were basically stranded in the stifling heat with no rooms to go back to - the staff on the desk were incredibly rude and even appeared inconvenienced by the fact we wanted the rooms we had paid for. The new “loft” rooms we were finally given faced the road had no AC and no fans, once again they tried to get you out of the room in the morning be persistently opening the exterior blinds to let the blazing sun in from 8am and because of the heat you could not block any noise by shutting the windows..

Given Berlin nights tend to go on till the morning I really would recommend you stay somewhere with AC in the summer– this was easily my worst hotel experience on record and each time I complained I got a complete blank face from the staff who seemed inconvenienced by everything in truth it seems Hipsters do not make good hoteliers – our friends stayed in the Nhow and I think they had much better nights out as they were able to rest / sleep in to recover..

Room Tip: there aren't any.. but if you have to ask for a room facing the courtyard as the heat will be le...
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled with friends
7 Thank eric a
Michelberger, Manager at Michelberger Hotel, responded to this review, 25 July 2014
Dear Eric,

We appreciate that you took the time to share the feedback from your stay with us.
The issues you have mentioned in the review were thoroughly looked into and discussed throughout different departments that were involved.

First of all, although the original change to the big room was a special proposal that you have agreed to accept by your arrival, we would like to apologize that the room move procedure the next morning has not been smooth as it usually is and should have been.

The issues of our amenities, are our collective decision from the mutual value, that to us quality and luxury are defined by services and experiences, that go beyond in-room telephones or air conditioning. Clearly your perception of quality differs from ours, otherwise you would have valued the details and extras our hotel and our people are offering and happily sharing with our guests.

You have caught one of the rare and beautiful hot Berlin summer days, however, we generally have only a couple of days of heat throughout a year. Therefore, air-conditioning our rooms is something we do not believe in. It’s better for the environment, it’s better for your health. We rather offer our guests ventilators and our own cooling Fountain of Youth Coconut Water.

Also, personal and direct communications are of great importance in our house, which led us to the decision not to install telephone in our rooms. In addition to that, being unplugged is a great feeling for most of us and our guests.

While our staff are encouraged to represent our house with their uniqueness and individualities, they are professional and trained hoteliers and any constructive criticism is taken very seriously and significantly to all of us. We will constantly make efforts to grow and go forward and we thank your for your input in this.

Your Michelberger Hotel
Winnipeg, Canada
Reviewed 20 July 2014

This hotel has so much good energy! It is creative and down to earth at the same time. Upon our arrival, we were each given a can of their delicious, refreshing Michelberger Hotel Coconut Water. We stayed in one of their 'Cozy Rooms', which was small but very well designed and perfect for our needs as a couple, looking for a place to rest our heads after a long, exciting day of exploring Berlin. The lobby is amazing - couches and pillows everywhere for lounging, great music playing, a 24 hour cafe/bar, and very creatively decorated. There is a beautiful courtyard, where food and drink is served, and it also has several places to sit and relax if that's all you want to do. In the hallways on each floor are TVs playing "The Big Lebowski". Little fun surprises like this are everywhere to be found at this hotel. We also noticed that there was a great variety of clientele. Everyone wants to stay here, and everyone can, from families, to artists, to single young (or old) party people, to 30 something couples like us. The hotel is right next to a metro station, which will take you all over the city and from here it's a 5 minute train ride to Ostbahnhof Train Station. The neighborhood it's in, Friedrichshain, as well as nearby Kreuzberg are fun and very lively at night. If you want a unique experience, this is the place to come! I highly recommend it!

• Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
Qatar
Reviewed 17 July 2014

great location, and fun neighborhood. 5-10mins walk to the East Side Gallery, public transportation(subway,tram,etc) is right across the road. The staffs there are helpful and friendly. Hotel bar and restaurant are also great. Lovely hotel:-)

• Stayed December 2013, travelled solo
Glasgow, United Kingdom
Reviewed 17 July 2014

The bar downstairs was brilliant, selling cocktails and good beer with with cool vibe. One night there was a small gig going on from a pair of Electro guys, was a great experience.

The room was cosy aka small. But that what we were expecting so no issues there. Between the Bedroom and the bathroom was a large see through glass window. I found it quite funny but for other couples, this might not be preferred.

Brilliant transport links as the hotel is situated just outside the city center. Railway/subway station strait across the road.

Room Tip: You don't want a room that faces inside the courtyard as peoples voices can echo up and be rathe...
  • Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple
Edinburgh, United Kingdom
Reviewed 12 July 2014

Situated in a great neighbourhood this is a fun spot to stay. The clientele tend to be fairly young but not exclusively so. The rooms are quirky although slightly expensive for the comfort level but it's more of a place to hang out in the bar or garden than spend hours in your room. Breakfasts are great and served in a beautiful airy room. I've stayed in a courtyard room and a front facing room, the latter being slightly noisier but great for people watching the busy street outside. Go, it's a fun place to stay.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled solo