“Hip and Friendly”

Ranked #108 of 634 Hotels in Berlin
GreenLeadersBronze level
“Hip and Friendly”
Reviewed 19 August 2014 via mobile

We stayed at the Michelberger for 8 nights during the Berlin leg of our honeymoon. This is a fantastic hotel -- young, hip and full of life. The staff were very friendly, helpful and professional. The cozy room was perfect for us -- a nice large bed with a clean bathroom. Great shower. Some might find the cozy room a tad small, however for this Vancouver couple, living small is par for the course. I'd give this charming little spot five out of five, except I think they could do with some new sheets and perhaps an upgrade in the mattress situation (a little thread-bare and lumpy respectively). Overall, this hotel is very special and different in the best possible ways. A real treat to come back to after a day in Berlin!

Stayed August 2014, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (140)
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
Reviewed 31 July 2014

Very nice place with a really warm atmosphere. Rooms are clean and extremely quiet. Friendly and kind people everywhere. Prices are good, considering the position. If you are young and free you should go there!!

• Stayed August 2013, travelled as a couple
Belfast, United Kingdom
Reviewed 30 July 2014 via mobile

Very laid back, very funky. Was on a solo trip so small room didn't bother me. Nice food options in a relaxed setting and the location is really good. Frequented by hipster DJs and the likes so you know what to expect: a few post Berghain faces meandering home after a session.

Stayed August 2013
Canterbury, United Kingdom
Reviewed 29 July 2014

So it's not often that you see something advertised online that turns out to be even better than you expected, upon arriving for our stay we were welcomed by amazingly friendly and helpful staff with a good knowledge of Berlin and the surrounding areas, as well as in hotel facilities of food and drink being amazing. Our room was stunning, and incredible concept (the LOFT room) designed to suit those who like something a little different with maximum comfort, large, open, airy, and the personalised welcome card, fruit bowl, and still bottled water (mustn't forget the canned coconut water) were just what we needed to feel settled and comfortable.

The staff were constantly on hand to make recommendations, and the room service and house keeping were perfect and above any standard I have ever experiences.

I would say the hotel is in the middle budget range, but was definitely worth the money for the tow of us staying, it is centrally located to the U and S bahn, as well as the Ms running directly outside, surrounded by wonderful family run shops and businesses who are welcoming to tourists (not something I have experiences often in Berlin) , this really couldn't have been a better place to stay than it was.

We have already decided we will return next year :)

Room Tip: for couples and a great amount of space, I would suggest the Loft, it also features a day bed so cou...
Green Features: Fantastic and not implemented in a way that disturbs your stay.
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
Brussels, Belgium
Reviewed 25 July 2014

Probably the experience depends on the room you pay for:
we had the chalet and it was great, lots of little attentions: some schnaps, chocolate cake (in a cute wrap). the room was very nicely maintained, very clean, good bedding. We liked the location, walking distance great little bars.
the staff was extremely friendly, we managed to put a walking map on fire over a candle in the bar and they rushed with a new map, for example.
wasn't fond of breakfast: the cool dishes weren't kept chilled which I thought a but dangerous for germs in the summer heat, if I return I will prefer bar breakfast with capuccino and cake.
as said, I loved the graphic design of it all: little cards, menus etc, hotel sign.

Nice inner courtyard where you can have breakfast in summer, great bar! wi-fi is really fast.
Will recommend!

Room Tip: pay extra for a luxus room
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 23 July 2014

This must be my all time favourite hotel!
A lot of humor is a red tread in this hotel, from all the cuckoo clocks in the reseption area to "The big Lebowski" on loop on TV. The lounge in the reseption is a perfect place to take a drink and just "people watch". Good music and drinks. Our room was fun as well, I think we got the smallest room they`ve got but that didn`t matter to us since we just stayed a couple of days. (and also the hotel was fully booked, I really understand that!)
A see-trough window to the shower was a funny detail. If you are to friends sharing a room I guess it will be better with a bigger room.

The backyard was a fairytale, real romantic feeling. We had dinner both nights in the resturant, the food was SO good! Small details as homemade herb butter and different kinds of salt. The waitresses gave us good service and the wine was good. Breakfast was awesome, with small "tokens" as payment. We had a giggle all through our stay, and next time in Berlin we are going to stay here again! We felt we didn`t need to go anywhere else than the hotel :-) (we drove, they have a parking on the backside)
Location is also good, straight above the Berlin wall.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled as a couple
Guelph, Canada
Reviewed 22 July 2014

We had high expectations for this hotel, but were pretty disappointed. It was like staying in a ok hostel but paying for a nice hotel - definitely the vibe of the place is cool, but it is hipster in a snobby way not in an authentic way. The hallways are left deliberately grungy, the rooms were deliberately worn down...I don't mind a small room AT ALL but it felt like they tried to overplay it. Our view was to the west - a garbage collection facility...

My biggest peeve with this hotel is snobbiness of it - they deliberately put the check-in desk in such a way that you need to walk through the bar/lounge (which is its own attraction) to be able to get to the desk. That is fine, even cool. But then I tried to go in one night with an apple juice in my hand and was told by the bouncer that I couldn't bring drinks in. I said I was a guest of the hotel, and he told me they were supposed to tell me they didn't want outside drinks coming in to the hotel - THE HOTEL. (If I start to rant, I should say that I need to bring outside drinks in because the coconut water they complimentary provide is horrid, but that would be cruel). Anyway, I thought that was downright ridiculous, and not only because of the policy but because they have a totally functional entrance to the hotel area that they could use but lock and purposefully divert you through the bar! So I mean, come on..

But credit where credit is due - this location is excellent. You could not be closer to the big 3: U-bahn, S-bahn, and tram stations literally right outside your door. There is a great cafe with friendly staff right next door for coffee, snacks, and beer. The east side gallery is steps away, and there are great cafes and restaurants on the other side of the river.

If this was a hostel and cheaper, I would be raving, but I thought the attitude and price of the place did not match what was being offered. If you get a great price though it would definitely be worth it for the great location and easy access to public transport (also I am told a lot of celebrities and bands stay here, so its cool if you want to people watch). But seriously, don't drink the coconut water...

• Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple