“Brilliant base for a busy holiday!”

Adina Apartment Hotel Berlin Mitte
Ranked #20 of 634 Hotels in Berlin
Reviewed 6 April 2011

What can I say, believe the reviews! I did and I was not disappointed. We stayed in a one-bedroomed apartment that was stylishly fitted out with everything you might need during your stay, in fact you could almost move in tomorrow. The staff were always friendly and courteous which, in fairness, is something I've come to expect when in Germany. The apartments are located close to Berlin's fantastic metro which gives you access to the entire city at (almost!) any time of the day. However, the neighbourhood in which the apartments are located is on a quiet square off the main road offering a much-needed dose of peace and quiet after 24 hours of sightseeing, shopping and clubbing. And in Berlin, 24 hours means 24 hours!

• Stayed: October 2010, travelled with friends
Write a ReviewReviews (2,639)

Reviewed 15 March 2011

Traveled with family (wife and 1 child 11 yo) for a 3 days stay in Berlin.
The Aparthotel is located at walking distance from central station and close to Reichstag and Brandburg Tor (you can walk there in about 15 min. if you like).
Perfect service, cleaning and furniture. Completely equipped kitchen with oven, stovetop, microwave, dishwasher and fridge/freezer. Bathroom with washing maschine and dryer. iPhone/iPod dock for listening or recharging.
Swimming pool, sauna and fitness room opened 'til 23.00.
Perfect location for family who needs to cook from themself (i.e. food allergy).
No wi-fi or broadband for free.

• Stayed: March 2011, travelled with family
2  Thank ensereBs
Reviewed 7 March 2011

Got a good deal via kuoni.ch
Perfect big room, great location, excellent breakfast, a swimming pool, and very helpful and patient receptionist to locate museums and points of interest.

Snags and problems? None.

As I said, I wouldn't stay here again. No, I'd like to LIVE here!

• Stayed: August 2010, travelled solo
Reviewed 7 March 2011

The Adina provided a perfect base for our five night stay in Berlin and is ideally located for some of the best bits of the city. Our apartment/suite was immaculate and well appointed and had everything we needed. All staff were super helpful and we spent a very pleasant evening in the bar and in the restaurant where we were looked after very well. Within walking distance are a great range of bars and restaurants and also the awesome Hamburger Bahnhof contemporary art gallery and Natural History Museum are minutes away. My only real complaint is that the room was a little stuffy and the air con was fairly ineffective and also no free WIFI but in some ways that was a good thing if you know what I mean. As it was so cold outside we couldnt really use the balcony to cool the room. I used the pool only once but this was very nice too. Top marks all round.

• Stayed: March 2011, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 6 March 2011

If visiting Berlin again, no doubt Adina Hauptbahnhof will be my choice. Roomy, good taste, great bed, TV set, and bathroom, small kitchen has everything we needed. Swimming pool, sauna, very nice lobby. In the last two nights, a movie was being shot under our window (2nd floor) and we did not listen a single noise. 10 to 15 minutes walking from Hauptbahnhof station.

• Stayed: October 2010, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 6 March 2011

This is not a comprehensive review because there was a lot of the hotel I did not experience. I went to Berlin to see the city, so I was only in my room in the late evenings to unwind and to go to bed.

I stayed in an apartment hotel that had a bedroom (tv), and a living room (tv, couch) and kitchen area (with a refrigerator, oven, and toaster). The bathroom had a washer and dryer that I never used. The bathroom also had an oddity, for me anyway. The shower has an unmovable glass barrier that only covers about 40% of the shower area. Nothing in the non-shower area got wet (though I was careful). And even though you can close the bathroom door, and I was with friends and didn't really care, you feel a lack of privacy.

The hotel is a brisk 15 minute walk from the Hauptbahnhof, which will take you everywhere you want to go in Berlin. And the S-Bahn and U-Bahn and trains all are great and punctual in Berlin. In this way, you might be wasting money to stay right on Unter den Linden (where hotels can run $100 or more per night than you'd pay at Adina or somewhere else). If you stay here and are willing to walk a bit and pay 20 Euro for a week's worth of public transportation (a ticket you'd probably buy anyway if you want to see all Berlin has to offer), you may want to stay off the main drag.

A word about the walk from the hotel to the Hauptbahnhof. There is a lot of construction on this walk, there is a lot of vegitation, and there is a bridge (though you're over the bridge and there is no traffic you'll confront). Therefore, at night, you may feel a bit nervous. That said, I never felt threatened. Just something to keep in mind.

You'll pay between 3.5-14.5 Euro for internet in your room (3.5 is for three hours and 14.5 is for 24 hours). I don't know how that stacks up with other hotels, but there you go. As an American, I had no real choice. Using 3G connection in europe is prohibitively expensive, so you have to get your email some how. Free wi-fi is dicey to say the least in Berlin. You can get it at a Starbucks (sometimes) and on the 6th floor of the KaDeWe. Otherwise, get your credit card ready.

Also, the internet is slow and at times not very responsive. One more thing, the internet was down for about one day. We were not given an explanation and I was still charged (I probably could have argued about it but didn't). The one computer terminal in the lobby did not work when I tried using it (twice) and it also is business-use only (social sites don't work for example).

The rooms were clean and so is this hotel. I expect that as a traveller.

The room was also quiet. I rarely heard other tenants, though I don't know who around me or how busy the hotel was.

I was charged 30 Euro extra per day to have a third friend stay with me to make use of a "sofa bed." Maybe that's normal. I don't know. It may have been that one of my friends was a male (they inquired). Seems to me that if you have rented a room it should not matter who else is in the room. But there you go.

I never used the pool and never ate at the restaurant/bar area. Also, the bar area is quiet and not a destination bar (like some hotels have). That is to say, you won't have anyone coming from off the street to eat or drink there. Maybe that's a good thing for you. It's quiet and peaceful.

The staff all spoke english and were friendly (of varying degrees but all were fine). This is not something that really matters to me. I don't want to pay more money per night for someone to smile a lot.

I also do not really know how helpful they are, as I really only ever asked them for internet cards to use in my room. The last day I asked them to call me a cab to go to Tegel, which they immediately did and a cab showed up in about 30 seconds.

Beds and pillows are ok.

TVs are ok. There are english-speaking stations if that's important to you.

There is a minibar if you choose to use it. I never did so I don't know if it is expensive. There is a Kaisers supermarket in the Hauptbahnhof. I'd usually pick up water, soda, or snacks there. There is also a lot of places to eat (fast food, convenience foods) at the Hauptbahnhof. That's also pretty much true at any S-Bahn station in Berlin.

As far as I know, the hotel does not have a vending machine.

There was a small balcony. We did not really use it because it was pretty cold out.

You can get a breakfast at the hotel for something like 19 Euro. If you step outside there are two cafes that have breakfast items which are much cheaper.

I compared a lot of hotels in Berlin by price and this seemed to be among the very best for price, location, and quality. I paid about $105 per night (no refund, booked in advance), which I think blows away prices at places you may have heard of as an American (standard chains) or Berlin's finest.

• Stayed: March 2011, travelled with friends
1  Thank Monkeykid42538
Reviewed 3 March 2011

We thought the Adina was great! Our room was like a mini-suite, although we had booked a “standard” room (whatever that means). Not sure if we got an upgrade, or if this type of room is the standard??

The room we had was split into three sections. On entering, you were in a lovely living area, with big flat screen TV, kitchenette (with dishwasher/large fridge/cooker), sofa area, work desk and small dining area. The bedroom was separate, with yet another flat screen TV. Lovely comfy bed with nice pillows and duvet. The bathroom was accessed via the living area, and was really nice. There was even a washing machine/tumble drier hidden in here! The facilities were fantastic!

The décor was modern, in browns/creams with a black/white bathroom. Quality furnishings with co-ordinating cushions and footstools scattered around. Had the feel of a swanky loft apartment!

We got a fantastic rate, which included breakfast (normally €19pp) via quickrooms.com. The breakfast was really good, with a buffet of hot and cold dishes, and the chef would prepare whatever kind of eggs you liked. Everything was delicious.

We had very rainy weather, so ate (and drank) in the hotel every night. We had spent the whole day doing the touristy things, and had walked our legs off in the rain, so were quite happy to sit and relax in the hotels lovely surroundings. There is a happy hour between 5.30 and 7pm, and the bar staff looked after us really well. Special mention to Steven who was really smiley and made us feel really welcome. The food in the restaurant was excellent, or you could order appetisers to snack on in the bar area. We did both, and thoroughly enjoyed ourselves.

The hotel seemed to be pretty quiet, and is set in a fairly quiet location. It is about a 15 minute stroll straight down Luisenstrasse to the Brandenburg Gate. There are frequent buses on the main street (Inavlidenstrasse). It’s one stop to Hauptbahnhof railway station, or one stop in the other direction to the underground (Zinnowitzer Strasse). It’s a 10 minute walk either way.

We used the public transport frequently, jumping on/off buses/trams/underground. No problems whatsoever, as this is included in the “Berlin Welcome Ticket”.

Tip1: We took an S Bahn from Schonefeld, thinking this would take us straight to Hauptbahnhof. Unfortunately, we were wrong, and had to change trains. We should have taken the Airport Express, which is an RB14 (I think), which goes through the centre of Berlin.

Tip2: We arrived into Hauptbahnhof, and it was raining heavily. We had been intending to walk to the hotel, but there were lots of buses right outside the station (exit Europaplatz). As we had our train tickets, we just jumped on a bus for one stop. The hotel is round the corner from the bus stop (there is a bakery on the corner).

Tip3: A lot of the Berlin Wall has been taken down, but there is still a section, and a guard tower within walking distance of the hotel. Walk towards Hauptbahnhof, there is a bridge over the river. If you cross the street, you will notice a cobbled walkway/cyclepath heading away from the city centre. Walk along cyclepath (the Institute of Technology will be on your right, and the river on your left). There is a graveyard, and the BW is in the middle of this (yes, they cut the graveyard in half)! Keep walking and you will see some modern apartments. The old watch tower is in front of these, but you need to go round the corner to see it!

We had a really great time in Berlin, it really is a fascinating place. There is so much still to see and do, we will need to return when the weather is a bit better. We would have loved to have done a walking tour, but the weather was just too rainy. Also, we noticed that the walking tours seem to be at 10am during winter months. Waaaay too early for us! 12pm would have been a more suitable time, to give enough time for a leisurely breakfast, then travel to the meeting point.

• Stayed: February 2011, travelled as a couple