“Great hotel, best location”
Review of Casa Camper Berlin

Casa Camper Berlin
Ranked #3 of 634 Hotels in Berlin
tel aviv
“Great hotel, best location”
Reviewed 18 June 2013

We just got back from a weekend in Berlin. The best thing about the hotel is the location- in the center of he Mitte. Around every corner you can find a cool place- bar or restaurants, packed with a really good crowed. The 7th floor lounge is great: from the breakfast to he snacks, drinks etc. the staff is very attentive and were happy to help us at anytime. The room is just as you can see in the other reviews, it was a bit too minimalistic for my taste but all the facilities were very good. Overall we had a great time at Casa camper and we definitely recommend it!

• Stayed June 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank ruta_10

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (126)
  • Hebrew first
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
Hong Kong, China
Reviewed 17 June 2013

I will start with the bad because it was the bad that first presented itself to me and if I had been doing this review at check in, 2 might have even been a stretch.

I confirmed my arrival the day before and drove from Stockholm to the hotel arriving around 6pm. It was a Sunday so traffic was fine but of course, its Berlin so parking on the street out front of the hotel is non existent and the area was busy with people and cars. The 'load zone' is not marked and looks like just any old part of the street so I ended up illegally parked and around the corner trying to figure out where I should be parking. It didn't help that I came from the wrong direction opposite the load zone and doing a U-turn as my first order of business wasn't what I had in mind in the middle of a busy street.

So, I rush into the hotel with my luggage and start the check in. I am more concerned at this particular juncture about my illegal parking and how to get to a proper parking spot. Its at this time I am told that the parking is full (its from the hotel next door). Uh, ok, where should I be going? Here is where things feel apart at check in - the clerk didn't know! More concerning to me, they are talking about the wifi password when they should be talking about getting me to a parking space (having told them I am not in a proper spot).

Long and short of this, I am directed to two places, one of which turns out to not even be a parking 'house' (or haus as they said) but a street and it was....full. I manage to get down to the mall for parking but the clerk wasn't even able to tell me what street the entrance was on - I goof it initially trying for a parking complex that turns out to be a car rental return. Basically, I spent 45 minutes post arrival to finally get parked having relied on a gps to get around. With just myself and a street map from the hotel, I would have been truly hurting and would have taken even longer. It was 13 hours from Stockholm to Berlin and almost 1/13th more to get....parked! Not a great start.

So, there is your first negative - if you have a car, book a space before you show and if you are going to be late make sure they don't give it away. Make sure you look at street view on Google closely so you know where you are trying to get to in order to get unloaded in front of the hotel as the spot is, frankly, tiny and looks more like a cab stop at most.

The second negative was again by virtue of being a late check in I got what simply has to be the worst room in the hotel - 119 (room tip, you don't want 119). First floor, opposite an office building where people from the street and the whole office tower can watch you brush your teeth if you are brave enough to leave the curtains open and a tram line for some nice room shaking noise. If you were higher, you would at least get rid of the street viewing but at 119 level, the opposite side of the street (at ground level) has no problem looking in on your bathroom (and probably takes until 319 to eliminate that but you won't get rid of the office block problem on any of the 19 ending rooms).

Now then, how can you recover from a 1/2 to 3? Because at least there are some very nice elements that helped to salvage the initial disaster. What are they?

Internet access worked well. Room was nice and funky. Shower was very nice with great pressure. Bike rental was easy from the hotel itself. The location is very good for nearby restaurants and touristy things (especially if you get a bike).

The biggie though, on the top of the hotel is the restaurant which has an honor bar and all kinds of snacks and fruit that go along with (if chips and fruit were not free, well, uh, I didn't see a form charging for them so that was nice). So, post the parking debacle, I was able to have a very large pour of red wine for a reasonable price for a glass helping smooth the tension - by then I figured I was owed it! Its a nice spot in the evening for a drink/nibble pre heading out and really was the nicest aspect of the hotel for me. Had I not checked in so late and got 119 and had the parking issue not come up, this place could have been a 4.

My biggest advice - front desk staff need to know about where parking lots are, what entrance they are on and more than a couple options (the mall one was almost full when I got to it and if it had been full on top of the first one, I would have been really up the creek).

Room Tip: Say no to rooms ending in 19 unless you are higher than 319
  • Stayed June 2013, travelled solo
4 Thank Eud
Archway
Reviewed 16 June 2013

Casa Camper is a great hotel in a great location.
Our room was beautifully designed with some neat touches (shower with a view, the slippers) and very comfortable.
The seventh floor lounge is a brilliant idea - a 24-hour cafe (included in the room rate), honesty bar (mix your own cocktails) and computers (although the wi-fi connection throughout the hotel is very good). The breakfast pancakes were the best we have had.
Staff were very friendly and happy to help.
Casa Camper is within walking distance of Museum Island, Hackescher Markt and the TV tower at Alexanderplatz and there are good transport links to the other Berlin sights.

Room Tip: The sixth floor has great views
  • Stayed June 2013, travelled as a couple
Surfers Paradise, Australia
Reviewed 13 June 2013

What a great hotel. It's a very functional, clean & modern hotel which shows great attention to detail with the designs of the rooms. Lovely shower room & open counter space with huge window next to it. Loved the 7th floor with it's picture windows overlooking Berlin rooftops. This is a great area with it's dining / lounge / honesty bar open 24 hours a day. Camper Casa is in a good location next to a train subway station, 10 minutes walk from Alexanderplatz & not much further to Museum Island. It's a bit pricey but a very different, very comfortable hotel.

• Stayed May 2013, travelled as a couple
Essex
Reviewed 12 June 2013

Stayed at this hotel twice in the last year for business. It was clean and well located for my needs. Breakfast and the lounge where great. I loved the shower one of the best showers i have had in a hotel :).

• Stayed December 2012, travelled on business
Plymouth, United Kingdom
Reviewed 9 June 2013

Stayed here for 3 nights and will definitely be staying here on my next trip to Berlin

+ Great location in Mitte
+ Free 24 Cafe, Awesome Breakfast, Honesty Bar with great range of drinks
+ Attention to detail - everything in the hotel has been carefully hand selected

- Feels a little pricey for Berlin

• Stayed May 2013, travelled on business
Syracuse, New York
Reviewed 8 June 2013

Stayed 5 nights in late April as part of a multi-city European trip. Berlin was our first stop, and we couldn't have been happier. The room was spacious, spotless, and we loved the walk-in shower and big counter space. Two of us could actually get ready at the same time! We got a special rate that included breakfast, which was delicious and included many different choices. We also loved the 7th floor lounge, and accessed it for drinks after a long day of walking, and even a sandwich one night that we decided to skip dinner after a big lunch. Metro station is right there, and it is a 5-10 minute walk to Hackescher Market area with plenty of shops, restaurants, and a Saturday market with lots of vendors. 5 minutes from the hotel in the other direction are a lot of funky shops and art galleries, and also more restaurants. Museum Island is a 10-15 minute walk.

Staff was very helpful in recommending restaurants, giving directions, and getting us a taxi to Hauptbanhof on our day of departure.

We loved our stay here and were sorry to leave. Hope to have a chance to come back again.

• Stayed April 2013, travelled as a couple