Ok, this is going to be a bit of a mixed bag because at face value this is actually a pretty awesome hotel/hostel when things are going right. I'll try not to bemoan the bad points too much because the staff were generally pretty good and were very understanding when my friend had reached her tipping point and eventually broke down at reception. We stayed in a twin room, we're budget travelers who wanted cheap facilities but not to live in total squalor for the week.
- fantastic area, Friedrichshain has got it going on! A stone's throw away from the East Side Gallery, Warshauer Strasse itself has some great arty fun stuff going on too. Right next to a tram which is about 15 mins to Prenzlauer Berg, and the S-Bahn and U-Bahn barely takes 15 mins to get to the centre. Lidl right next door, very good.
- massive rooms with nice bathrooms, comfy beds, old style Berlin building with high ceilings
- good facilities downstairs, DIY laundry, restaurant, bar, vending machines (inc. beers), 24 hour reception
- knowledgeable staff, good provision of maps and local info
- secure luggage room
- Wifi absolutely useless. So much so we ended up moving rooms twice (after already having moved once before that due to our air-con not working on our first night and having dudes in our room trying to fix it at 11.30pm. This was also after having drag our laptop/phones/tablet around to various rooms to check where they would work until settling on our room of choice
- it's massive, which shouldn't be too much of an issue if you don't have to change rooms, but I'm telling you, after packing and unpacking 3 times, hoofing our heavy luggage around ourselves through the Crystal Maze we were starting to get serious sense of humour failure. No phones in room, so any issues again it's through the labyrinth, up and down the lift....
- staff were generally quite sympathetic to our issues but because there's so many of them, we found ourselves explaining our situation to a different person every time. Not only a bit exacerbating, but also just made us feel like they didn't quite understand the magnitude of our annoyance because it was the first they'd heard of it (not their fault, but just...gah!!!)
Despite all this I would stay again because it's a very cool place and apart from the wifi stuff I enjoyed my stay.
Antonio was a bit of a diamond putting up with our moaning and got us a refund for our first night. There was also another very helpful dude who I think was from Brazil...his name began with C, but he was a total legend and helped melt away our frustrations.
Think we were just unlucky, but as I said, would stay again.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- PLUS Berlin is the newest hostel/hotel in the PLUS chain. Due to open in March 2010 it will definitely be one of Europe's if not the world's best hostels with a pool, sauna, conference room, restaurant, bar and much more. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, TripOnline SA, Expedia, Hotels.com, Ebookers, 5viajes2012 S.L., Cancelon, HotelsClick, Evoline ltd and HotelQuickly so you can book your PLUS Berlin reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Plus Berlin Hotel Berlin