“Great location and affordable price!”

MEININGER Hotel Berlin Hauptbahnhof
Ranked #229 of 634 Hotels in Berlin
Sao Paulo, SP
“Great location and affordable price!”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 January 2014

I stayed at this hotel for 2 weeks last year sharing a double room with my sister.
The hotel looks more like a hostel (most of the guests were quite young and the decoration was pretty informal).
The price of the room was quite surprising as well way cheaper than expected which is awesome, and the staff were very friendly.

What most pleased me about the hotel was its location, right across the Hauptbanhof station! Also if you arrive at the Tegel airport you can get a coach to the station and the other way around.

What bothered me a little about the hotel was the cleaning service, my sister and I felt like our room was not well cleaned, only the sheets and towels were exchanged daily but we could clearly tell the room lacked proper cleaning (I am NOT picky about cleaning). The pillow was also VERY uncomfortable but we managed to deal with it.

The room internet signal was quite low, even though the internet was free it was hard to get good signal. To be fair I barely needed to use the internet and I am sure the hotel lobby had better signal since it was usually packed with people so.

Overall I had a pleasant experience and I would definitely stay there again!
The positive things make up for the drawbacks so if you are looking for a decent hotel at an affordable price rate this hotel is perfect for you :)

• Stayed December 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank Tiemileal
Meininger H, Public Relations Manager at MEININGER Hotel Berlin Hauptbahnhof, responded to this review, 9 January 2014
Hello!
Thanks for your feedback.
We are sorry about the WIFI connection, it´s busy and slowly just when the hotel is fully booked.
We are going to improve the signal power soon.
If you had a positive experience, take a look in our home page and for your next travel to Europe you can enjoy one of our Hostels.

The Meininger team

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (116)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Thai first
  • Turkish first
Melbourne
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 January 2014

My girlfriend and I stayed at the Meininger Hotel Hauptbahnhof over new years 2013-14 and thoroughly enjoyed our stay.
We were booked into stay in a 4 bed dorm, however were upgraded to a private room on arrival (not exactly sure why, but hey!)
The atmosphere in lobby bar, dining area and kitchen was fantastic and the hostel was clean throughout and in the perfect location (30 second walk from Haptbanhnhof Station and 10 min walk from Brandenburg Gate)

The only problem was the internet reception in the rooms, not a major problem though as there is reception down stairs and we weren't there to hang around in the room!

We will definitely stay here again on our next visit.

• Stayed December 2013, travelled as a couple
Hi!
Thanks for your fantastic feedback!
We gave you a double room for the same price because we had not 4bedrooms availables. That´s why ;-)
We hope you enjoyed the room and your holidays in Germany.
See you soon

The Meininger Team
Sydney, Australia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 January 2014

Although this has all of the conveniences you would expect from a good hostel, as well as hostel prices, it feels like a hotel. I stayed in a small dorm room which was clean, comfortable and had a TV and a decent bathroom. There is free wifi everywhere in the hotel. I particularly liked the communal area on the ground floor which included a guest kitchen. I didn't bother with breakfast though as it was €5.90 and I could get just about anything from the supermarket and the Hauptbahnhof for less.

Possibly the best thing about this hotel is its location - literally right next to Berlin Hauptbahnhof (main station) from where you can get to anywhere. The Reichstag and Brandenburg Gate are also within walking distance.

I have only a couple of minor criticisms; firstly, the wifi in the lobby was slow and secondly, the floor of my room seemed a bit dirty. A fitting in the bathroom also broke, but was promptly fixed.

Overall I was very happy with this hostel/hotel and would stay here again.

Room Tip: The higher level floors have less noise from the traffic.
  • Stayed January 2014, travelled solo
1 Thank Matt G
Hi! Thanks a lot we like your feedback.
It´s clear, direct and your little criticism can help us to improove.
We hope to see you soon here or in another Meininger around Europe:

Dresden, Germany
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 January 2014

Pros
* Very very close to Berlin hauptbahnof (its almost the next building)
* Economical
* Spacious rooms
* Ample facilities (Kitchen, luggage storage rooms, late check out)
* Nice view from roof top 9th floor
* Clean and neat rooms
* Surprisingly the rooms had A/C

Cons
* Its more of a hostel than a hotel (gotta pay for any additional thing that you desire)
* Bed quality was average
* Horrible free Wi-Fi
* Staffs are not very friendly to deal with
* When windows are open, its a bit noisy due to the trains nearby

Room Tip: * Rooms in top floor have good view * Rooms facing the river 'Spree' has awesome view but n...
  • Stayed January 2014, travelled with friends
Meininger H, Guest Relations Manager at MEININGER Hotel Berlin Hauptbahnhof, responded to this review, 9 January 2014
Hallo!
Thanks for your feedback.
We are booth actually: Hostel and Hotel incorporated.
We are sorry about the WIFI connection, the Hostel was fully booked and the connection really busy. We are going to fix it soon, improoving our signal power.
We hope you had an enjoyable holiday in the city.

Leoben, Austria
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 January 2014

I have booked this hotel only for its proximity to Berlin main station.

But to my surprise, when I reached the hotel, they asked me to wait until 15 h for check-in and the way this message conveyed was quite rude.

Very rude staff members. Got a password for WLAN, but it was too slow for browsing, which is another off.

Entered the room, which was offered on 6th floor, and found the room to be pretty small for a three bed room. They had a queen size bed and a small bed fitted next to the queen bed with very small gap between them. The air conditioner fitted in the room was not working properly and there was no response from the reception even against complain.

The next morning we checked out at 11 AM (as per the hotels policy) and placed our luggage in the luggage room and they gave a small paper as a proof to be returned for collecting the luggage. Around 16 h we collected the luggage from the luggage room and waited in the lobby, since we had our train at 20 h.

The greatest surprise came next. We wanted to use the washroom located on the basement, which was locked. Every time to use the wash room, I need to collect the magnetic key from the reception.

I would avoid this hotel at any cost.

• Stayed January 2014, travelled with friends
Meininger H, Public Relations Manager at MEININGER Hotel Berlin Hauptbahnhof, responded to this review, 22 January 2014
Dear guest,
thank you for your time to rate us :)

You are right, Check In time is usually 3pm - we always check if it is possible to get your room earlier - you always get the chance to store your luggage as long as you want, for example to spend your time before CheckIn or after CheckOut in a comfortable way.

In addtion to the free WiFi which can be used throughout the hotel you can also use the internet terminals in the public area.

MEININGER offers accommodation at very central, exposed locations and
all this for a generally low price - all room are arrange with Flatscreen-TV, modern furniture, a daily housekeeping service etc.

I am very sorry that you got a unattractive impression from our staff - for us at MEININGER it is one of the most important aims to ensure the guests' well-being.
We would like to assure you next time!

All the best! Kind regards, your MEININGER Team
Australia
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 January 2014

I thought this was a hotel when I booked it on one of those hotel booking websites, it's not, it's a backpackers!

The breakdown:
Staff: friendly
Price: for new years eve around 380 euro per night then back down to 75 on the 1st of January. Their brochures that I saw in the lobby stated double rooms start at 45euro I didn't know this when I booked as all I could see was the total price for the 3 nights. Buyer beware when using hotel booking websites!!

Facilities: cafe/bar downstairs full of backpackers. Laundry facilities were 5euro for a small washing machine that didn't spin (so clothes were soaking and took forever to dry).

Wifi: SNAILPACE SLOW. It's available everywhere but don't try and book accommodation on it, it fails and cuts out regularly (the cost of our next accomm went up 80Euro and the room we wanted wasn't available in the time it took for us to get through, we eventually had ask to use their internet facilities, which were just as slow).

Breakfast: available for 5.70 euro EXTRA / day! It looked ok but I couldn't bring myself to pay for breakfast after paying so much for the room. You can get a better (and cheaper) breakfast in the train station, lots of really great sandwich cafes

Bed: comfy but the double is just two singles pushed together, they even make the two mattresses separately. Don't try and snuggle in the middle of the night, you'll end up getting stuck in the crack.

Bathroom: Small, standard. Shower only. Hairdryer.

Towels: great if you want to do some sanding or are in dire need of some heavy duty exfoliation. They are the thinnest scratchiest towels I have ever used. Actually the third day they replaced our towels with floor towels… we didn't really notice the difference.

Location: perfect, next to the hbf train station, 20 minutes walk to Brandenburg gates.

Tea/coffee: None

Best thing: leaving

Worst thing: arriving

Additional notes: If I was paying backpacker prices for this room I would have no problem but because we were basically being fleeced for NYE I was left with a bit of a sour taste in my mouth and I couldn't help but feel ripped off. I was also embarrassed that I'd booked a sad little single room for my mother in law for which she paid a premium price for. When I booked online I didn't look close enough to the room specs, if I'd realised that the rooms were the most basic of basics I would never ever have paid that much for it. As the booking website only shows you the total price for your stay I thought we were having a bit of a spoil and splashing out for something fancy to see the new year in but I was so so very wrong. I'm chalking this up as a learning experience and moving on. For next time: The public transport system is awesome in Berlin so I will stay in another part of town and use the system to get around.

• Stayed January 2014, travelled with family
2 Thank TravellingWales
Brisbane, Australia
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 January 2014

My single room was a good size. It was basic but very comfortable and clean. Front desk staff were helpful and friendly enough too. Three of us stayed in single rooms on the 4th floor from 29th Dec - 2nd Jan and all of our Wi-Fi connections in our rooms were limited the entire stay. Of an evening it wouldn't work at all. Possibly because of how busy the hotel was?! It was extremely frustrating and pretty disappointing for the price we paid. I couldn't even use the phone in my room! Good location, nice rooms but wouldn't recommend the place if Wi-Fi and phone is important to you during your stay.

• Stayed December 2013, travelled with friends
HI!
thanks for your feedback;
We are really sorry about the WIFI; we had some problems in december, the connection was slowly because very busy, the Hotel was fully booked. We are going to change it improoving our WIFI connection.
We hope you had an enjoyable holiday in the city.

Meininger Team